15 6.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png
'

Last edited by a moderator:

Bmbriga

I read German is also a pretty common foreign language in :hr:, not just in the tourist areas on the coast but in general.
Especially not in the south, it's much more common in the North.
So, elementary school is 8 years here (highschools are not important, because every type has different subjects and number of foreign languages) and kids learn first foreign language, which is obligatory, from 1st grade. In 4th grade they get second foreign language, but it's not obligatory. While kids in south often also learn Italian as the second one, kids in North mostly learn German.
Sometimes German is also first foreign language and English second. In schools in my town one half of students learn English as first, other half German. In one town near me whole school learn German as first (that's pretty rare).
In 3-4 years second foreign language from 4th grade is also going to be obligatory.

I just googled and 10% of kids learn German as first foreign language.

ESC94

Especially not in the south, it's much more common in the North.
So, elementary school is 8 years here (highschools are not important, because every type has different subjects and number of foreign languages) and kids learn first foreign language, which is obligatory, from 1st grade. In 4th grade they get second foreign language, but it's not obligatory. While kids in south often learn Italian as the second one, kids in North mosly learn German.
Sometimes German is also first foreign language and English second. In schools in my town one half of students learn English as first, other half German. In one town near me whole school learn German as first (that's pretty rare).
In 3-4 years second foreign language from 4th grade is also going to be obligatory.

Would you say German is more common among the "older" generations, like 45+??

I remember when I was on holiday there I watched a bit of tv in the afternoon after coming back from the beach and then I saw a German tv series on a local channel, with subtitles in Croatian. That also helps a lot learning a language.

Bmbriga

Would you say German is more common among the "older" generations, like 45+??

I remember when I was on holiday there I watched a bit of tv in the afternoon after coming back from the beach and then I saw a German tv series on a local channel, with subtitles in Croatian. That also helps a lot learning a language.
Maybe, because they learned just one foreign language and often couldn't choose. There was not so much English in schools back then, but it wasn't non existent. My mum in the 70's learned German in school, her older brother English, my dad English.

It should be more common now when kids have an opportunity to learn two languages. Why a lot of them opt not to do so is a long discussion.

Subtitles help, but there's not that much German TV series and movies on TV. But I'm sure it helps a lot with English.

Neo

This sounds like such a rip-off of Finland 2023 Cha Cha Cha, but with cheesy lyrics.

Of course now the juries have wisened up and will score it higher because people liked Finland, so let's see if the betting odds are right that it will win.

Charly

Jupiter

Reports say BL nailed it in the jury show, crowd went wild as usually. Hopefully that will translate to good jury points.

And maybe I'm speaking too soon, since there are still some hours left: but Croatia is still leading the Eurovision World poll, with a strong 15% ahead of Switzerland with 11%. Pretty sure that gap increased after the semis even. And the last years, this poll has been very accurate in predicting the winner... so I'll cling to that for tomorrow xpray

Alcatraz

Reports say BL nailed it in the jury show, crowd went wild as usually. Hopefully that will translate to good jury points.

And maybe I'm speaking too soon, since there are still some hours left: but Croatia is still leading the Eurovision World poll, with a strong 15% ahead of Switzerland with 11%. Pretty sure that gap increased after the semis even. And the last years, this poll has been very accurate in predicting the winner... so I'll cling to that for tomorrow xpray
I watched the jury show live. BL sang without a mistake! Anything below 200 jury points would be a steal for him! ;)

I did say some weeks ago that I have trouble seeing a path for this winning. Things got pretty hectic these past days and maybe he will get more jury votes than expected in order to prevent an israeli win.

As someone living in Germany with a croatian passport, this winning would surely be the best case scenario. I'm still doubtful and somehow see Switzerland having higher chances than this. Fingers crossed though.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
His jury vote won't be too bad. Croatia are staging it as a zany rock song, somewhere between Käärijä and Måneskin. That definitely has a lot of appeal, not to mention his vocals have improved drastically since Dora.

Frankly, this is what I was hoping for when I wrote my editorial. HRT are trusting their song, and it's given them clout. Good on them. ^_^

Himan

Since I had a chess tournament today, I have decided to combine my Dutch flag with the chess board, for tonight. :whistle::hr:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
The fate of Eurovision rests on the shoulders of a man willingly calling himself 'Baby Lasagna'. Godspeed Marko
Already cast 5 votes. I will cast a few more after Switzerland (how many depends on whether I believe Nemo has a shot or not)

Top Bottom