Contact us

Commonwealth Games 2014

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Just wanted to start this thread to say that tickets are now on sale.

https://tickets.glasgow2014.com/

I've applied for Opening Ceremony tickets, hopefully I get them!

I'm so excited for this, Scotland doesn't often get events this size, and I'm sure Glasgow will put on a hell of a show.

So, we have just over a year to talk about it. Anyone planning to go?

VictoriaLT

I'm planning to volunteer. I had my interview a month ago and I'm getting my 'yes' or 'no' reply around October. I really REALLY hope to be accepted. It would be a lifetime experience to get an insight look at such a huge and socially important event. :}

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
I'm planning to volunteer. I had my interview a month ago and I'm getting my 'yes' or 'no' reply around October. I really REALLY hope to be accepted. It would be a lifetime experience to get an insight look at such a huge and socially important event. :}

Good for you. The volunteers are awesome.

VictoriaLT

Good for you. The volunteers are awesome.

They definitely are. :} I was told there had been 50000+ applications received in total for voluntary positions and only 25000 people had been invited for interviews. Knowing that I was one of those lucky ones already boosts my confidence, but thinking that I might be one of 15000 volunteers is just mind mind-boggling. ^^

MyHeartIsYours

Excited about this, great to have another big international event in the country just two years after the Olympics! :D Shame we couldnt make it a trio with the World Cup lol :( I always find the Commonwealth Games to have a special touch that the Olympics doesnt have, probably because it's just the big Commonwealth family that competes. We had the Games down here in Manchester eleven years ago, they were very good for the city but I have to say that there hasnt been much of an obvious 'legacy' that they so often like to speak about. The Games have been lost and forgotten about really.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Excited about this, great to have another big international event in the country just two years after the Olympics! :D Shame we couldnt make it a trio with the World Cup lol :( I always find the Commonwealth Games to have a special touch that the Olympics doesnt have, probably because it's just the big Commonwealth family that competes. We had the Games down here in Manchester eleven years ago, they were very good for the city but I have to say that there hasnt been much of an obvious 'legacy' that they so often like to speak about. The Games have been lost and forgotten about really.

I'm not sure how much of a legacy will be left behind...mainly because there really hasn't been much work needed. 90% of the facilities were already there, which is mainly why we got it. The Chris Hoy Velodrome was the biggest project. But I think it will inspire a lot of Scots who have never witnessed any kind of major event in this country before. It is indeed a rare privilege.

Are you planning on going? Maybe I'd see you there.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Well the Olympic legacy didn't stay much were i live. In fact the whole idea of making the country more active has just completely failed. Well it has where i live anyway. Straight after the Olympics, how did the local council respond? They closed a swimming pool? xfaint:confused:xfacepalm One of two in the town, the other been primarily used for swimming lessons and just poor standards compared to the one they closed. So much for the legacy.

Anyways, ive never really payed much attention to the commonwealth games, in fact ive never seen the event at all. :oops: The only time i paid a little attention was when the news was going on about will the accommodation etc be ready for when it was held in India last time. I think ill watch next year on telly.

DanielLuis

That eventually happens with almost every single competition really. Even the olympics in some cases.
Here in Portugal we had the Euro in 2004 and there was a lot of national pride back then, but nowadays what stands is the new stadiums :lol:

doctormalisimo

I applied. Never heard back from them -.-

MyHeartIsYours

I'm not sure how much of a legacy will be left behind...mainly because there really hasn't been much work needed. 90% of the facilities were already there, which is mainly why we got it. The Chris Hoy Velodrome was the biggest project. But I think it will inspire a lot of Scots who have never witnessed any kind of major event in this country before. It is indeed a rare privilege.

Are you planning on going? Maybe I'd see you there.
I think the main legacy for these events, even the Olympics, is happy memories and pride. And that's good enough for me anyway :D

Sadly no, I just cant afford to buy tickets right now:( Would have loved to go to the opening ceremony, I imagine it will be everything I love - the Queen, bagpipes and the Commonwealth :D If the Queen's Baton Relay comes anywhere near me I'll be sure to go to that though! :D Do you plan on going?

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
I think the main legacy for these events, even the Olympics, is happy memories and pride. And that's good enough for me anyway :D

Sadly no, I just cant afford to buy tickets right now:( Would have loved to go to the opening ceremony, I imagine it will be everything I love - the Queen, bagpipes and the Commonwealth :D If the Queen's Baton Relay comes anywhere near me I'll be sure to go to that though! :D Do you plan on going?

Yeah, hopefully I get the Opening Ceremony tickets I've applied for. I'm fine watching the sports on TV, but the opening night is something I want to experience live. Who knows when this chance will come again.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Didn't get my tickets. :(

MyHeartIsYours

Her Majesty launched the Queen's Baton Relay yesterday at Buckingham Palace. The baton will make its way across the Commonwealth before reaching Glasgow during the opening ceremony. Contained within the baton is a secret handwritten message from Her Majesty to the Commonwealth - she will read this message before the Commonwealth when she opens the Games next summer.

553844_758790540817270_1350062821_n.jpg

1383713_307263312749641_1035642172_n.jpg

1378148_495013390606056_856015254_n.jpg

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
For anyone interested, in the second round of sales today, I didn't get the opening ceremony, but I got tickets to the rhythmic gymnastics, so I'm going to the games!

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
It's almost time! On the 23rd July it all begins at Celtic Park! I'll be heading to the Rhythmic Gymnastics and the Badminton. I'll also be seeing the baton relay come round my way on the 14th. I'm so excited to see how team Scotland does. This will hopefully follow on from Delhi and be our best ever games. :sc: xcheer

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
So It's nearly time. Tonight is the opening ceremony at Celtic Park, where an expected TV audience of 1.5 billion will tune in! I'm so excited that we finally have a huge event like this to show Scotland off.

Top Bottom