Contact us

2014 Jury Transparency Revamp!

MrGerbear

Story on ESC United here.

So the EBU has decided to revise the jury rules again, making them a lot more transparent this time around. Thoughts, ESC United Forums?

I, for one, think that this is a really big step in the right direction for the EBU. Publicly revealing the jurors AND their individual scores AND the detailed split results will certainly make it a lot more difficult for countries to rig their juries.

CC92

Good move but on the other hand it is sad to hear there will be a 'jury' at all. :( The only jury should be the millions of people from Asia and Europe.

anto475

I think it's a great step, but I'm worried this is going to be the end of the matter. I mean the last outburst of allegations to gain a response from the EBU came in June, the beginning of the Silly Season of Eurovision. Now it's September and artists are being chosen, NFs are being planned, songs are being written, real work is being put into production of the show in May. The last thing Sand and the EBU needs now is another fresh batch of rumours and accusations being thrown around the place with a bunch of angry fans demanding justice and reform. Don't get me wrong, I welcome this change, I truly do, but I fear this is a move designed to placate us, moreso than to resolve the matter.

MrGerbear

Very true, anto. It was an awesome decision but you're right; with NFs on the horizon, if nothing from last year's allegations comes up soon, there won't be a chance anymore. I think it's up to the fans, really, to be more vigilant and to make sure that the EBU does what they need to do.

anto475

Very true, anto. It was an awesome decision but you're right; with NFs on the horizon, if nothing from last year's allegations comes up soon, there won't be a chance anymore. I think it's up to the fans, really, to be more vigilant and to make sure that the EBU does what they need to do.

Absolutely! Also I found this interesting snippet on esctoday which will hopefully make that easier:
As of 2014 Eurovision, EBU will establish a platform where jury members and viewers at home can report voting irregularities. The reports will be examined by the officials to detect any wrongdoing.

A-lister

Veteran
This is one big middle finger up to all of those who think that fan pressure and lobbyism won't result in anything!!! If anything this proves that we, the fans, can make a difference if we're just loud enough and will not sit quiet! I'm especially pleased to see that they'll finally release the split results by country and look into cheating... not sure though if the latter will be dealt with though as I still think $$$ is more important, but still a step in the right direction.

Now let's change the rules regarding how the juries will vote aswell, they need to have some valuation period where they really get to know the entries to make a fairer decision, and they also need to start to treat this as a European Song Contest and not some Wannabe Anglo/American vocalist contest where you get praised for wailing through a safe Americanized Swedish penned ballad/mid-tempo, but not for sending something pure and genuine which represents the current music scene or the music culture in the represented country.

A-lister

Veteran
I guess the crucial factor was that it already found its way into various tabloids all across Europe.

True, but on the other hand if fans would be quiet, I'm not sure it would reach much media. Word of mouth is a powerful tool in the age of internet.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I think it's a great step, but I'm worried this is going to be the end of the matter. I mean the last outburst of allegations to gain a response from the EBU came in June, the beginning of the Silly Season of Eurovision. Now it's September and artists are being chosen, NFs are being planned, songs are being written, real work is being put into production of the show in May. The last thing Sand and the EBU needs now is another fresh batch of rumours and accusations being thrown around the place with a bunch of angry fans demanding justice and reform. Don't get me wrong, I welcome this change, I truly do, but I fear this is a move designed to placate us, moreso than to resolve the matter.

Completely agree - when i read it i automatically thought: well i bet this will be the end of all this cheating allegation things. Don't get me wrong, getting this transparency is amazing and about time!!!

Also i read this on eurovision site "To increase diversity, music industry professionals can only take a seat in a national jury if they have not been in the jury during one of the previous two editions of the contest."

I think this is a particularly good thing as it says to get diversity, because undoubtedly i bet countries have had the same jurors since 2009.

CPV4931

Great news... this change really brings new transparency to the contest.

But I hope, they´ll soon turn the new "Rank 1-26"-system into the old "12-1 points" system again.

CC92

So they will announce the jury votes and the jury members' name at the show?

I'd honestly be surprised if they did not lack the balls for that. However, they have promised to reveal them on their website right after the show.

12Points

I'd honestly be surprised if they did not lack the balls for that. However, they have promised to reveal them on their website right after the show.

AWESOME!, it's gonna be so fun, i hope we'll know their occupation too

DanielLuis

They're not going to reveal the jury votes or names during the show that'd make the voting way too long.

DanielLuis

Let's hope they'll reveal the full results right after it. It's stupid to wait 2 months or something like we usually have to.

CC92

They're not going to reveal the jury votes or names during the show that'd make the voting way too long.

I don't think displaying the names of the 'jurors' would be necessary but how would the visual insertion of televoting and 'jury' results extend anything?

DanielLuis

I don't think displaying the names of the 'jurors' would be necessary but how would the visual insertion of televoting and 'jury' results extend anything?

In the show? If they would display the whole split results, plus the final results of each country, and then showing the scoreboard with the full results, it'd extend the show.
I suppose what you mean is revealing in the show, but only after the voting ends, the split results of the jury and the televote (just the rankings). Obviously that wouldn't extend it much.

Top Bottom