Contact us

יִשְרָאֵל - Israel 2010 - Harel Ska'at - Milim

how do you rate the entry?

• Total voters

markovs

Re: ????????? - Israel 2010 - Harel Ska'at - Milim

In the end, he blew the vocals on the night. Simple as that.

I loved the song on the CD and had it top 3, but after the performance, and the much better performances of others, he finished about in the right position. It was a very strong year, and any mistakes were punished (Azerbaijan?).

Fantastic song, but performance just not up to scratch on the night.

Vedenneito

I just had to register so I can post my two cents :).

First things first - I discovered Harel's music two-ish years ago when I heard Veat; I had no idea who he was, what he looked like, where he was from or anything. At that point I had been sick for 5 years and was looking for music sung in Hebrew, because the language speaks to my soul like no other, and found his voice incredibly beautiful and soothing among all the pain I was experiencing. So I looked at all the live performances on Youtube - I was blown away by how perfect they all were. So I've been telling all my friends in my two home countries about this amazing singer... Everyone always says: "Wow. Just... wow."

So then he enters Eurovision... And obviously the number of interviews in English suddenly grew so I was able to learn more about him. I was surprised when in so many clips he said he was extremely nervous and tense, to the point that he can't even sleep, because he always seems so relaxed on stage. My own story is that I used to be a singer, but I let fear of people and criticism keep me from it... So when I see someone like Harel, who I think "must be naturally perfect", admit that he in fact is scared and nervous too... But still gets up in front of 150 million people, even though his knees are shaking... It really encourages me, maybe one day I too will get over my fear.

Yes unfortunately, both in the semifinal and final this nervousness made him make some mistakes. Of course we all hoped he would have a perfect performance, but I don't think the problems he had change the fact that this was the best song sung by the best singer in this competition. So there is nothing to be ashamed of, things like that happen, and sometimes they happen on live TV. But Harel took the risk, he got up on a stage in front of millions of people, and poured his heart out for everyone to see. That is something I admire the most - he gave something from himself, he left everything he had on that stage, he took the audience on a journey through his heart. THAT is not an easy task - and it is the difference between a good and a great artist. Because real courage is needed only when we do something new, something scary, something that makes us grow and leave our comfort zone, and what else could be more like this than baring your soul to the world?

I am very proud of my country for giving Harel 10 points, clearly people realised the power in this song (maybe partly because all the songs are subtitled, so we know what everyone is singing about, and the lyrics of this song are very touching). And I congratulate Harel for his achievement, and wish him many years of being an artist and an inspiration to many people!

P.s. What is the Israeli media saying about 14th place or Harel's performance? It would be cool to know their reactions.

amigo

What happened to this guy on the night and the previous night? being so close to winning and blowing it all. Stress, I guess.

Israeliboy

The Israeli media support Harel Ska'at more than ever. We are very proud of him and give him all the love we can cause he deserve it. For us, we know who is Harel Ska'at and what he can do and how talented he is :D It didn't change our opinions about him. We are totally proud of him! A lot of his songs in our media/radio/tv etc today and yesterday... GO HAREL SKA'AT :D

Margerita86

Israeliboy said:
The Israeli media support Harel Ska'at more than ever. We are very proud of him and give him all the love we can cause he deserve it. For us, we know who is Harel Ska'at and what he can do and how talented he is :D It didn't change our opinions about him. We are totally proud of him! A lot of his songs in our media/radio/tv etc today and yesterday... GO HAREL SKA'AT :D
It makes me happy to hear that your country still support him.
I feel a bit sorry for him since I actually wanted him to do well, but unfortunatly nerves afected him that night.

apelles

Israeliboy, I just dropped in to say as a big Harel Skaat fan myself, I appreciate all the support you have given to Harel. I am sure he appreciates it and so do his other fans. Thank you!

@vedenneito That's a really nice post and I think you made an excellent point about Skaat taking risks because he really did, and whatever people think about Skaat or the song, I think he deserves respect for that.

I think Skaat did a very good job with arguably the most vocally challenging song to sing this year. IMO it wasn't nerves that caused the few mistakes in the finals, so much as I think his voice just gave out from just overuse. I say this because if you listen carefully to the final minute, you notice that it lacks the typical smoothness I associate with Skaat's singing. Still, he did a very good job. And to whoever suggested that he couldn't sing the song well, I respect your opinion, but I think he has proven he can sing the song well. He sang it excellently several times already, including at the KDAM and the final dress rehearsal, which I had the pleasure to attend. In the future, those are the performances which should be remembered when they think of Skaat and this song. The press and commentators certainly recognized Skaat's singing abilities, as he and the Israelis swept all 3 of the awards for merit sanctioned by Eurovision (for the best singer, the best composer, and the best entry). To me, these are much more credible awards than the viewer voting for the final, which most people recognized is flawed because of the tendency towards block voting.

I want to pass along my gratitude to Skaat and the entire Israeli team for all your hard work and effort. You brought both honor and integrity to your country. Thank you, Harel!! Thank you, Israel!!

Margerita86

Do you have any links where it confirms in english that he won all Marcel Bezancon awards?

If he really did, he earned them all.

apelles

Margerita86 said:
Do you have any links where it confirms in english that he won all Marcel Bezancon awards?

It's on Wikipedia, just search Harel Skaat and then follow the links.

Margerita86

apelles said:
Margerita86 said:

It's on Wikipedia, just search Harel Skaat and then follow the links.
Actually I checked the official site.

Video of the event if you scroll down a bit.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=1 ... 7on+Awards

Samb

Congratulations to Harel and the Israeli team for this result. They looked thrilled!

Vedenneito

apelles said:
@vedenneito That's a really nice post and I think you made an excellent point about Skaat taking risks because he really did, and whatever people think about Skaat or the song, I think he deserves respect for that.

I think Skaat did a very good job with arguably the most vocally challenging song to sing this year. IMO it wasn't nerves that caused the few mistakes in the finals, so much as I think his voice just gave out from just overuse.

I have now listened to all of it again, and I agree with this. It was not the bright, effortless voice we are used to, but it sounded tight and stretched and broke at the end (however, the last impressive note was fine imo). He said before that it's hard for him to sleep before something big like this, so maybe that and the long week itself with singing the song over and over again all affected him.

But nothing, NOTHING makes me happier today than this video. Could not have been more deserved!

[youtube:268v0yqb]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6DuEd1AVikw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6DuEd1AVikw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube:268v0yqb]

Also, 23% of Finnish Eurovision fans said before the final that Harel should win. 20% said Germany. Those were the highest percentages, all the others got low %. And as you know, we gave 10 points to Harel, which was the highest amount, since no one gave him 12 (I'm still shocked about that).

Israeliboy

I'm so happy to watch this video. For he is the winner and did a lot :D I just support him a lot!!!Again, today there was an interview in a newspaper in Israel. He said he is happy and don't care, cause for him, the best thing was to perform in Eurovision. CONGRATS FOR HIM!!!

apelles

Vedenneito said:
apelles said:

I think Skaat did a very good job with arguably the most vocally challenging song to sing this year. IMO it wasn't nerves that caused the few mistakes in the finals, so much as I think his voice just gave out from just overuse.

I have now listened to all of it again, and I agree with this. It was not the bright, effortless voice we are used to, but it sounded tight and stretched and broke at the end (however, the last impressive note was fine imo). He said before that it's hard for him to sleep before something big like this, so maybe that and the long week itself with singing the song over and over again all affected him.

But nothing, NOTHING makes me happier today than this video. Could not have been more deserved!

[youtube:5g7tqt12]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6DuEd1AVikw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6DuEd1AVikw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube:5g7tqt12]

Also, 23% of Finnish Eurovision fans said before the final that Harel should win. 20% said Germany. Those were the highest percentages, all the others got low %. And as you know, we gave 10 points to Harel, which was the highest amount, since no one gave him 12 (I'm still shocked about that).

To be honest, I actually don't think Israel deserved any 12s for the finals. Even though I think it was an overall good performance, Harel Skaat just made too many mistakes to win. From strictly an artistic perspective, it doesn't matter when or where you produced a good work of art or gave a great performance, it's just important that you did do it. And Skaat has sung this song extremely well on multiple occasions, so I would give him 12 for those songs, and this is just my opinion, but I don't think any of the other singers in the 2010 Eurovision contest can compare with Skaat. He's in another league. OK, I think a couple maybe can, but those didn't do very well in the finals either.

I got an insight when I went to this year's Eurovision, from what I can gather it turns out that the biggest audience for the contest is really families, many of the mothers and fathers grew up watching the contest back in its golden era. They were everywhere, and the ones I talked to admitted not knowing anything about the contestants, and I suspect it is the little children who do much of the voting and most of them aren't looking at artistic merit as a criterion when they make their decisions. So I don't think who wins Eurovision really should be taken too seriously. It's all just a big party anyway. :lol:

Vedenneito

What is the phrase he says in that video, after winning the third one? He says it's like "touch wood" but from the Bible. I'm learning Hebrew so I'm interested :).

apelles

Israeliboy said:
I'm so happy to watch this video. For he is the winner and did a lot :D I just support him a lot!!!Again, today there was an interview in a newspaper in Israel. He said he is happy and don't care, cause for him, the best thing was to perform in Eurovision. CONGRATS FOR HIM!!!

He really said he didn't care if he won? Judging by the press conference when he drew the 24th place and his reaction to it, I would think that he cared a lot. Anyway, congratulations Skaat and the entire Israeli delegations for your efforts. I hope to see him perform live again some other time.

Israeliboy

apelles said:
Israeliboy said:

He really said he didn't care if he won? Judging by the press conference when he drew the 24th place and his reaction to it, I would think that he cared a lot. Anyway, congratulations Skaat and the entire Israeli delegations for your efforts. I hope to see him perform live again some other time.

He will. He said his performance was OK and not bad at all, I think the same. He said it's a very emotional song and difficult to sing, but at least, he did what he wanted and he is proud of it. We really SUPPORT HAREL SKA'AT!!!

Israeliboy

GO GO GO HAREL SKA'AT

rjb99

Deleted by RJB99 as matter has been dealt with.

Top Bottom