8 4.8%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Iker

Veteran
Honestly. After we have quite a few entries now, I think the only song thst gives me winner vibes is Norway. xheart

I don't see it and I like a lot this song (my current #5 or #6 out of revealed so far). I find the song exciting but while the song leaves an impression there's an issue. The melody while in my view is one that is strong is not one that is easy to ... let's say sing or croon by a regular person. She's really jumping up and down with notes. I don't recall a song like this ever winning a Eurovision. It will probably do better in the jury vote but it has to qualify first to the final. The Norwegian isn't an issue I guess. I can't imagine the song with such distinct Scandinavian flavour being sung in English. This gives me Myrkur vibes (a very good Danish dark folk and black metal band) but electronica/EDM based instead

Last edited:

jatojo

The melody while in my view is one that is strong is not one that is easy to ... let's say sing or croon by a regular person.

I agree to the extent that it’s not immediately catchy. I did notice, though, that after a while I liked the melody while at first it was the ‘screaming’ that drew my attention. The verses are nice too. But it wouldn’t have been the same without the ‘gothic’ theme of the lyrics.

It will probably do better in the jury vote but it has to qualify first to the final.

Judging by the Norwegian show, the televoters like the song more than the juries do.

mauve

Veteran
I don't see it and I like a lot this song (my current #5 or #6 out of revealed so far). I find the song exciting but while the song leaves an impression there's an issue. The melody while in my view is one that is strong is not one that is easy to ... let's say sing or croon by a regular person. She's really jumping up and down with notes. I don't recall a song like this ever winning a Eurovision. It will probably do better in the jury vote but it has to qualify first to the final. The Norwegian isn't an issue I guess. I can't imagine the song with such distinct Scandinavian flavour being sung in English. This gives me Myrkur vibes (a very good Danish dark folk and black metal band) but electronica/EDM based instead
While you might be right about the melody, I think that Gate simply has the best package so far. Especially the staging is impressive and I think that this could attract people to vote for it. When I look at the countries that are high in the odds right now like Ukraine, Croatia or Italy - they simply don't have this oomph!-factor. But it can be all different in May - at least to me, Norway is all above the other entries - for now.

Neo

It will probably do better in the jury vote but it has to qualify first to the final. The Norwegian isn't an issue I guess.

The juries usually want to root out Europeanness, but there's been a shift where at least national language is accepted now.

Ethnic music and thematics is probably too far, and we saw it in the national final when the international juries voted it down.

Sammy

Veteran
growing steadily for me :6:—> :7: (at least in the studio version, live still doesn‘t convince me totally)

Iker

Veteran
I agree to the extent that it’s not immediately catchy. I did notice, though, that after a while I liked the melody while at first it was the ‘screaming’ that drew my attention. The verses are nice too. But it wouldn’t have been the same without the ‘gothic’ theme of the lyrics.

Judging by the Norwegian show, the televoters like the song more than the juries do.

Yeah, you're right.

ZoboCamel

Honestly. After we have quite a few entries now, I think the only song thst gives me winner vibes is Norway. xheart
Looking objectively, I think there are a bunch of entries that I can see having an easier time of getting enough points to win, and on average I'd guess Norway to finish vaguely mid-table, albeit with a wide range of uncertainty. But I do feel like Norway still has the clearest winner moment—that one, 10-15 second section where the climax of the song, the staging, the camera angles, the vocals, everything just comes together perfectly. It's the part that goes in the recaps; the part that you see live on the night and go "oh, yeah, this is winning"; the part where the pyro curtain falls during the winner's reprise; the part that gets included as a photo/screenshot in every future news article about the winning song, the artist, or the year's ESC.

I think some of the clearest examples we've had in the last decade would be :at: 2014 (Conchita's pitch change as the flaming wings spread out on the backdrop), :ua: 2016 (the haunting climax leading into the tree graphic & climax), and :nl: 2019 (the percussion-only chorus with the spotlight on Duncan). I get the same vibe here from the high note at the start of the final chorus, with Gunnhild arched back over the rock and the flurry of lighting in the background. It's the moment of the year, at least so far.

That said... it's easy to speak with the benefit of hindsight, and those obvious "winner moments" aren't a perfect metric. We've had plenty of winning songs without them, and a bunch of non-winners that did have those moments (:cy: 2018, :ua: 2021, and if you're looking specifically at the NF version, :it: 2017). Not to mention, Norway might not be the only one with a big moment this year: we're waiting on 14-15 more songs, plus I think some of the 22 that we already have could pull off a big moment by May (Ireland, Belgium, and Ukraine seem to have potential there). I still think it's interesting to look at, though!

Realest

Theres 0 Hype here somehow.

gigi_copp3

I absolutely love Ulveham, I hope for this to get an awesome result. It full deserves a top 5. Norway somehow always remains one of the best countries in ESC and I hope they'll find a winner very soon

musicfan

Back on track for me after the misstep last year. Definitely something more unique, the feeling is palpable as well. Very good mix of rock and folk. One of the highlights even if it may be too intense for some.

astatine86

Norway finally sends something good. What a relief! Last time I enjoyed their song was back in 2017 and that was only because of the vocoder parts! A VERY strong 10 that will most definitely turn into a 12.

mup

:no:'s fascination with wolves continues! :D I just hope the banana they gave the wolf in 2022 wasn't a bait to get his fur coat! :LOL:

Jokes aside I think this entry will come alive on stage, I don't know how many points it will get but it should attract the Nordic votes and others from the rest of Europe.

Ezio

Veteran
Maybe an unpopular opinion but I don't enjoy the lead singer's voice or stage performance style at all.

It's a good song but the singer ruins it for me

I also find it unpleasant to listen to and it's a very occult song also.

DirtyFalcon

Norway is still my undisputed winner this year despite a lot of very strong entries released since their victory at MGP. Nothing against my runner up Mustii but it doesn't come even close to Ulveham. I'm not exaggerating when i say this could even become my favourite Eurovision entry of all time. It has just all the ingredients i dream for a Eurovision entry and especially for a Norwegian entry. It shows some culture. It's epic. The band has a great stage presence especially Gunnhild. And Gunnhild also have a tone of voice i absolutely love ! Just don't fuck this up with the staging Norway please ! You have a gem in your hands. I can't believe i'm gonna go to Eurovision for the first time and witness this live. :love:

Top Bottom