Contact us

Australia AUSTRALIA 2024 - Electric Fields - One Milkali (One Blood)

How do you rate this entry?

5 4.0%

4 3.2%

9 7.3%

13 10.5%

10 8.1%

20 16.1%

18 14.5%

17 13.7%

13 10.5%

4 3.2%

11 8.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

martin

For me this is just another song. Yeah is Electro and that is good, but the bad news is that the songs is right in the middel. It feels a little bit like Malta last year. Not bad, but not very good either

5 points and i think Australia could get they 2 time without a final?

SpiritofKeiino

I just don't see where the televote for it to qualify would come from

If it was big 5 I think it would bomb in televote in final. Its general vibe reminds me of Birth of a New Age, which would probably not have qualified in its own right

aef

This song really doesn’t go ANYWHERE in my opinion. :3: points from me.

PolarFoxxie.

Milkali means blood in aborigin? I will never see at milk at same way as before. :cry but such a cool name, like catchy if you know what I mean even though it doesn't mean necessarily something nice.
I need to listen to the song, but I M loving LGBT representation this year. I wish them good luck in final and very good result.

Ezio

Veteran
This is the perfect music video. You just want to close your eyes and focus on the music, which is unfortunately not great. I don't know what it's about but it sounds like a lesson in wokeness.

SpiritofKeiino

This is the perfect music video. You just want to close your eyes and focus on the music, which is unfortunately not great. I don't know what it's about but it sounds like a lesson in wokeness.
I have a feeling that the Aboriginal elements, if brought to the stage, will not click with much audience.

No offence meant by the above. Just thinking of Birth of a New Age where a culture from outside Europe was showcased, and fell on deaf ears.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
The main issue aren't the ethnic elements, it's just that the instrumentation is a bit too safe. The EDM takes the centre stage in the composition, and that bit is sadly, not that creative or interesting.

You can slap a didgeridoo in the backing track all you want, but it leaves less of an impact if it's just there to support the electrobeat.

The song's perfectly fine overall, and definitely NOT like Birth of a New Age wtf.

Last edited:

Etanna

I have a feeling that the Aboriginal elements, if brought to the stage, will not click with much audience.

No offence meant by the above. Just thinking of Birth of a New Age where a culture from outside Europe was showcased, and fell on deaf ears.
I actually have the exact opposite opinion. Aboriginal elements are something that can save them. I believe that Europeans would find didgeridoo etc. much more interesting and exciting than a generic electro song performance which could represent any country whatsoever.

Birth of a New Age didn't work that well neither as a song nor as a performance and it also competed in one of the strongest years ever.

Preuss

I agree with what's been said.

The reason why I loved 2000 and Whatever so much was because the fusion between EDM and indigenous sounds just was perfect - like it felt super modern in a sense but also tribal and authentic to Zac's background.

While the fusion's still there in One Milkali, and while not trying to compare it to their past entry, it's like Boris said; the EDM is the dominant part of the song whereas the aboriginal elements is just there to complement the song. The awesome didgeridoo and the "tribal" sounds are a 100% my favorite parts of the song and I just wish they were more prominent - I think the song loses me quite a bit in the chorus whereas the verses are super catchy.

I love the fusion of EDM and indigenous sounds, just wish they really committed to that in the song - but they'll hopefully commit that on the stage and really embrace it.

Please, please, SBS please give this the package it deserves when you finally send a song with Aboriginal sounds xthink we know SBS doesn't have the best funds but perhaps South Australia is funding this one like Western Australia did last year?

Preuss

And I really think (or hope) Europe would respond to an entry that felt very true to Australia's deep history - at least enough to get them out of the semi and into a final where I could see the jury respond to it as well. So I really hope SBS knows it's their primary weapon this year, which is delivering something Eurovision has actually never seen before xpray

han-g

I actually have the exact opposite opinion. Aboriginal elements are something that can save them. I believe that Europeans would find didgeridoo etc. much more interesting and exciting than a generic electro song performance which could represent any country whatsoever.

Birth of a New Age didn't work that well neither as a song nor as a performance and it also competed in one of the strongest years ever.
2 generic electro pop songs came top 3 in the televote lat year.

rasmuslights

Veteran

To me, this year is way stronger than 2021.

That year had way too many girl bops that weren't even that good - like Croatia, Malta, San Marino, Serbia, Cyprus, Greece, Azerbaijan, Israel. And a lot of other entries were just meh. The 2nd semi was also atrocious.

Big 5 with the UK, Spain and Germany giving us bland/awful songs.

Acts like Moldova and Norway doing way better than they should. Sweden bringing their worst entry in a while (still decent tho).

It just wasn't that good, at least to me. A lot of the songs were generic as well. That being said, of course there were also really good entries like Bulgaria, Belgium, Italy, France, Switzerland, Ukraine, Russia.

Mrlazzyjazzy

If we do keep competing from next year onwards if we send Casey Donovan then I know for sure that the Aus Delegation is struggling to find acts because Voyager and Electric Fields are great but we have a diverse talent pool to choose from and having to choose previous acts from our failed national selection shouldn't be the only representatives we can find.

rasmuslights

Veteran
If we do keep competing from next year onwards if we send Casey Donovan then I know for sure that the Aus Delegation is struggling to find acts because Voyager and Electric Fields are great but we have a diverse talent pool to choose from and having to choose previous acts from our failed national selection shouldn't be the only representatives we can find.

God, Casey Donovan would be a new low for the Australian delegation.

I miss their 2015-2018 era :(

Top Bottom