Contact us

Australia AUSTRALIA 2024 - Electric Fields - One Milkali (One Blood)

How do you rate this entry?

5 4.0%

4 3.2%

9 7.3%

13 10.5%

10 8.1%

20 16.1%

18 14.5%

17 13.7%

13 10.5%

4 3.2%

11 8.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Preuss

I am begging every single one of you to listen to the song without the damn music video. Far too many of you are giving this a low score because you don't like the visuals.

This is the first Australian entry that I have personally felt proud to send (other than Jess in retrospect). Aboriginal cultures are the longest continually surviving cultures and languages on the planet and it's a damn shame that not enough people know about them. Indigenous Australians are continually mistreated and dominated by oppressive colonial institutions which still remain. They are the most imprisoned group per capita in the world. The song is a testament to finding joy, beauty, and love in spite of our social conditions.

Is the song revolutionary? No. But it is unique, catchy, anthemic, has staging potential, and will have guaranteed killer live vocals. Anyone calling this a lock NQ - particularly anyone suggesting that this is on the same level as the likes of Iceland or Moldova - needs to just wait for rehearsals, because I have a strong feeling that they're cooking up something.

Yes it’s got some nice aboriginal elements to it which are really nice

So I hope they’ll just embrace that for all it’s worth in the staging performance because it’s a super easy way to make it more recognizable and memorable as we’ve never seen it before in Eurovision

If SBS just glosses over the aboriginal parts of this in the staging then I see no paths for this to qualify

Preuss

Zac said in an interview they were gonna incorporate his art into the staging (as he's also a visual designer or something). Here's some of his art: https://www.agsa.sa.gov.au/whats-on/exhibitions/ramsay-art-prize-2023/zaachariaha-fielding/

I can imagine it could be such a great moment on the stage, regardless of what happens I'm just very excited to see aboriginal and indigenous Australia represented in Eurovision!!

Paul Clarke (Staging director) said they had something very special in store so I put my faith in him considering Australia usually delivers quite good staging

FilipFromSweden

Me personally am not so conservative and scared of nudity, the natural state of the human, unlike others

Rocket man

Yeah I would never write off Australia's chances of qualifying, especially after 2019's "Zero Gravity," that song was so bad but once I saw the staging and Kate's performance, then I did a complete 180° on their chances.

gigi_copp3

Yeah I would never write off Australia's chances of qualifying, especially after 2019's "Zero Gravity," that song was so bad but once I saw the staging and Kate's performance, then I did a complete 180° on their chances.
Zero Gravity was not that bad tbh

Mainshow

Veteran
"Zero Gravity" was part of my bottom 5 that year (I think it was even my last place?!).
I still think that the song was utterly horrendous and I couldn't listen to the whole song without having the urge to skip it BUT the performance was absolutely gorgeous, well-executed and entertaining.

So yeah, I fully agree with @Rocket man

rasmuslights

Veteran
The last really good Australian entry was imo (if we exclude 2020) Jessica Mauboy. Though generic, it still had that expensive feel that I expect from Australia but don't get.

0scar

The last really good entry from Australia was Dami Im

(tbf I liked Zero Gravity as a visual concept and it was enjoyable to listen to but it was more of a show than a song)

Preuss

The last really good Australian entry was imo (if we exclude 2020) Jessica Mauboy. Though generic, it still had that expensive feel that I expect from Australia but don't get.

Yes? like the production of the song was obviously top-tier, same with Don't Come Easy. The music video was also banging (Jessica) which definitely impacted how I at first reacted to the song, unlike Electric Fields' music video which was just super distracting

Preuss

Respectfully I cannot disagree more about zero gravity's quality

I mean, it was perhaps a polarising song but its quality can't be put into question - especially when the performer is Kate Miller-Heidke!!

Kate is by the way gonna be a judge on the Voice Australia! I think Eurovision really helped her career. She deserves it so much

empo21

Veteran
When I look back, the only good entry Australia has sent is Sound of Silence. Truly a moment in eurovision. Everything else is either mid or below mid. Australia started out as mini Sweden but has dropped significantly in comparison.

Top Bottom