Contact us

Australia AUSTRALIA 2024 - Electric Fields - One Milkali (One Blood)

How do you rate this entry?

5 3.9%

4 3.1%

10 7.9%

14 11.0%

10 7.9%

20 15.7%

19 15.0%

17 13.4%

13 10.2%

4 3.1%

11 8.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

AlekS

Veteran
I don't think the song is horrible, but it's basic. Kudos for having Australian sound (I will immediately recognize the country without knowing who sings this song), tho I expected a better production xshrug What is this lyric video? Australia, sis, are you on San Marino budget? xthink I still believe the performance in Malmö will be better than this, so I give it a :6:

Last edited:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
1412540665c343d81925325d41d3db0f.gif

Yaaaaay! Really happy to see Electric Fields back. They bring a smile to my face.

Unfortunately this follows (at least for me) the your fave artist finally goes to/returns to Eurovision with a song nowhere near as strong as their previous offerings trope. One Milkali is vibrant and enjoyable though, for me mostly just let down by the chorus. It's very obviously gonna come properly alive once it hits the stage as Zaachariaha is not capable of delivering anything less than an event. It's not as epic as 2000 And Whatever, instead choosing to go down more of a vibey mid-tempo route. It doesn't feel very competitive at all right now and that is a big worry. I just think it needs more time in the oven as everything is there but the instrumental isn't banging enough despite also being one of the richer, more textured compositions of the year. Make it bouncier and bigger. Make the beat slap me in the face. Do it.. NOW. Then we can talk about a 12 as I'm desperate.

I'll give Electric Fields an :8: as I enjoy their song more than the vast majority of entries this year.

LivingOrganism

Got to give this one a :4: for now. It's not very good, but I wouldn't really say it's terrible either. Maybe it'll grow on me, who knows. I do like the Indigenous Australian elements and the implementation of different languages.

Mrlazzyjazzy

Like the lyrics are kinda campy and not in a good way, like the Fleetwood Mac and tea lines. And the didgeridoo is appreciated but the song is very dated on landing and just plods along. Promise was definitely elevated by the staging and the media treating that song like it potentially was our last year ever definitely I think boosted it's appeals to juries to vote favourably to encourage Aus to keep participating. This won't have the same goodwill though.

ESC94

It´s nice that :au: wants to show some aspects of its culture, but that´s sadly the only good thing I can say about that song. :(

The song stays basically the whole time on the same level, the chorus is a joke and absolutely not captivating and the singers voice is also really unpleasant for me, especially in the louder parts. After the song ends there´s nothing that stays in my mind. xstars

In the end I give :1:, only the Aboriginal influences saves it from getting a :0:, it was very hard for me to listen it completely. I think qualification will be a big challenge this year and even if they have a good staging and somehow manage to get through the final they will get the usual slap in the face from televoters.

Last edited:

Synergise

I do worry this will struggle to qualify, but I actually really like this, albeit not as much as 2000 and Whatever which would have been my number 1 of 2019 had it been selected. It's joyful and calm, and there's definitely a space for that amongst the noise that is Eurovision 2024....

akoz

Happy that they got their chance at ESC, but this song takes a little too long to get going and even then is not strong enough. I think they will qualify especially them being in 2nd part of 1 semifinal, but most likely will get lost in the finals no matter of running order. :7: points.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Yeah I don't think Aus are safe. I forgot that 2000 and Whatever kind of... had no staging. Zaachariaha can sell it somewhat with a good performance but if the whole thing looks cheap in the same way the official vid is cheap...

Qualifying should be possible though - I'm pretty sure Ireland, Moldova, Azerbaijan and Iceland are 100% dead. Who the fuck knows the final NQ is between Australia, Luxembourg, Slovenia or Cyprus.

banana

Yeah I don't think Aus are safe. I forgot that 2000 and Whatever kind of... had no staging. Zaachariaha can sell it somewhat with a good performance but if the whole thing looks cheap in the same way the official vid is cheap...

Qualifying should be possible though - I'm pretty sure Ireland, Moldova, Azerbaijan and Iceland are 100% dead. Who the fuck knows the final NQ is between Australia, Luxembourg, Slovenia or Cyprus.
Why does it seem cheap? There’s no drama, no fun, no naked butts, no meme-worthy songs, no laughter, and nobody screams as if a demon is about to burst out of the artist’s body, right? :D
Yeah, it's 100% too calm, too aligned for the ESC. But it's not cheap. It's actually pretty high quality work.(y)

Top Bottom