6 3.6%

6 3.6%

6 3.6%

53 31.5%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Please keep discussion in this thread specific to Eden Golan and her song, Israel's (potential) participation in Eurovision 2024 and discussions or remarks from other countries and organisations about Israel's participation.

Any further discussion of a political or humanitarian nature not relating to specifically Israel in Eurovision 2024 needs to go into the politics sub-forum. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcos C

Some news from Israel.

Eden Golan will not be participating in the Turquoise Carpet on May 5 due to security reasons and her wanting to commemorate Holocaust Remembrance Day.

"The delay in the selection of the Israeli song for Eurovision: the song that Eden Golan will perform on the stage of the European Song Contest in Malmö in May was supposed to be revealed already this week, but KAN postponed the selection for several more days. Ynet has now learned that the reason for the rejection stems from the request of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) to accept the song before its publication, and to approve its lyrics to make sure it does not contain political messages.

"In addition, Ynet learned that the professional procedure for selecting the song has not yet ended and that the professional committee is debating between two final songs. After listening to Eden Golan perform both - the decision will be made. The committee is supposed to meet again on Saturday, and if by then the approval is received from the EBU on the lyrics of the two songs, then the decision may be made.

"KAN confirmed the details and told Ynet that the delay is due to the two matters at the same time, among which, as mentioned, a final decision has not yet been made and emphasized that the issue of the approval of the lyrics by the EBU is not unusual for Israel. The EBU has yet to respond."

Alcatraz

When this forum became so political? What a shame....ppl dying in Gaza....not only that ppl here dunno full story or history or further details and judge here by tiktok videos or whatever, they also justify some stupid things. A conflict has 2 sides and Hamas on behalf of palestinians are terrorists, whethever you like it or not, face the reality, thanks.
Normal people know that, don't worry. ;)

empo21

Veteran
At this point it looks like they'll make Eden avoid most of the events and interviews in Malmö and have her just show up to the arena.

crashworld

Veteran
At this point it looks like they'll make Eden avoid most of the events and interviews in Malmö and have her just show up to the arena.

To be honest, which is not a bad thing, for her mental wellbeing. That will just minimize the inevitable booing and backlash she is going to have. It takes alot of guts and willpower to go out there to represent Israel in this climate.

Mainshow

Veteran
It's really interesting to read that there are two potential Eurovision entries in the run but what I don't like about the process: the EBU specifically requested to hear the songs before to "check" if the lyrics are appropriate.

Why do I dislike this procedure?
The EBU believe that there is a high risk of Ynet using Eurovision as a propaganda tool before even hearing the songs. I know that there's a lot of criticism going on right now because the EBU still allow Israel to participate but such rules should be for everyone or no one, in my opinion.
The EBU suspended Belarus because of choosing politicial songs back in 2021 and they asked Armenia 2015 to change the lyrics after the songs got released and I think that's totally fair and reasonable.
I'm pretty sure the EBU didn't check other potential Eurovision songs before they got announced as entries to take part in Melodifestivalen or Vidbir.

Ynet probably don't want to create any more additional bad blood amongst the EBU and the other broadcasters and that's why they follow EBU's request to make sure that the entry won't be received as a "political song" but I guess if Israel really want to take part this year, they have to follow different rules and try to please as much supervisors and executive producers as possible.

Remembrance

One thing's for sure; Israel is gonna need a TON of security during their stay in Malmö.
Didn't Luxembourg have snipers at Eurovision in 1973? I wonder which precaustions might be necassary..?

crashworld

Veteran
It's really interesting to read that there are two potential Eurovision entries in the run but what I don't like about the process: the EBU specifically requested to hear the songs before to "check" if the lyrics are appropriate.

The EBU believe that there is a high risk of Ynet using Eurovision as a propaganda tool before even hearing the songs. I know that there's a lot of criticism going on right now because the EBU still allow Israel to participate but such rules should be for everyone or no one, in my opinion.
The EBU suspended Belarus because of choosing politicial songs back in 2021 and they asked Armenia 2015 to change the lyrics after the songs got released and I think that's totally fair and reasonable.
I'm pretty sure the EBU didn't check other potential Eurovision songs before they got announced as entries to take part in Melodifestivalen or Vidbir.

Ynet probably don't want to create any more additional bad blood amongst the EBU and the other broadcasters and that's why they follow EBU's request to make sure that the entry won't be received as a "political song" but I guess if Israel really want to take part this year, they have to follow different rules and try to please as much supervisors and executive producers as possible.

To be fair, I would rather they (ie. EBU) do that now than after the song has been released. Because I am sure there will be nutters who will take every opportunity to scrutinize the song after the song is released. And if EBU has checked and approved the song before it is released, any noise can be put to rest or rebutted since there's EBU's backing and stamp of approval.

And I have faith in the Israeli delegation not to hijack this competition with any political agenda because they will know the backlash will be huge. And I don't think the delegation would risk a suspension because I have the impression the Israeli delegation treats this competition with so much importance.

Mainshow

Veteran
To be fair, I would rather they (ie. EBU) do that now than after the song has been released. Because I am sure there will be nutters who will take every opportunity to scrutinize the song after the song is released. And if EBU has checked and approved the song before it is released, any noise can be put to rest or rebutted since there's EBU's backing and stamp of approval.

And I have faith in the Israeli delegation not to hijack this competition with any political agenda because they will know the backlash will be huge. And I don't think the delegation would risk a suspension because I have the impression the Israeli delegation treats this competition with so much importance.

I completely agree with you. It's definitely the better way of handling things regarding the lyrics but I just think it's sad that we have come to a point in which the EBU has to treat participants differently, e.g. like checking if the songs are really appropriate.
It is a very "sensitive" topic and Israel's participation has become a subject of heated debate and if that's the way to go... they do everything right but it's mad to think that there's some sort of EBU lyrics police checking the lyrics of potential entries from a single country whilst 36 other countries can do whatever they want.
But like you said, Israel really want to take part, so I guess it's fine for them to comply with EBU's different set of rules for them at this point.

crashworld

Veteran
I completely agree with you. It's definitely the better way of handling things regarding the lyrics but I just think it's sad that we have come to a point in which the EBU has to treat participants differently, e.g. like checking if the songs are really appropriate.
It is a very "sensitive" topic and Israel's participation has become a subject of heated debate and if that's the way to go... they do everything right but it's mad to think that there's some sort of EBU lyrics police checking the lyrics of potential entries from a single country whilst 36 other countries can do whatever they want.
But like you said, Israel really want to take part, so I guess it's fine for them to comply with EBU's different set of rules for them at this point.

I do agree on the "double-standards", but I also see this in a way to "protect" Israel and EBU from further potential backlash.

I have already seen people running the narrative the delay in the selection of Israel's song was because it was rejected by EBU due to political message and that is not even the case. So I'm in the view that it's wise for EBU and the Israeli delegation to thread the line carefully, to make sure not to give the naysayers any more ammunition.

On a separate note, over 400 celebrities and industry executives signed an open letter supporting Israel’s inclusion in this year’s Eurovision.

esc87fan

One thing's for sure; Israel is gonna need a TON of security during their stay in Malmö.
Didn't Luxembourg have snipers at Eurovision in 1973? I wonder which precaustions might be necassary..?
They did have snipers in 1973. Following what happened at the Munich Olympics the previous year, they tightened security to let Ilanit participate comfortably (stories say she wore a bulletproof vest under her costume), and of course the "don't get up or you'll get shot" rule. Even in 1998, they had to sequester Dana International in the only hotel in Birmingham with bulletproof windows due to the violent threats against her, with her Gaultier parrot feather gown kept under armed guard

I really feel bad for Eden, having to be caught up in the middle of all this

Last edited:

HarryUK

Veteran
I really wouldn’t be surprised if the EBU order Israel to perform remotely at this rate. The cost of security will outweigh any advantages of having them there in person when they can perform live via satellite

han-g

I dont know, if this article the ebu probably took the right course of action https://www.israelhayom.co.il/culture/music/article/15291948
If they mentioned the supposed title to the ebu then the ebu would be super dumb to not request a review.

Top Bottom