Contact us

Austria AUSTRIA 2023 - Teya & Salena - Who the Hell is Edgar?

How do you rate this entry?

99 45.2%

25 11.4%

22 10.0%

12 5.5%

15 6.8%

12 5.5%

4 1.8%

5 2.3%

6 2.7%

6 2.7%

13 5.9%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezio

Veteran
i think it’s too weak for Top 5. let’s hope we get there ourselves

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I think Austria has the potential to be very, very good and do very, very well. :) So yes, top 10 is definitely possible.

But I also feel like ORF could botch Edgar, causing an NQ.

Hard to predict where they land, it's 100% staging dependent. IOTAP I'm guessing Edgar qualifies, and then bombs in the finale barring a staging miracle (which Austria are not particularly good at)

Ezio

Veteran
I think Finland and Austria are winning their semis and fighting for televote victory in the final. But I don’t know if Marvin Dietmann can pull of a staging that does the video justice. He bombed last year. He also did great with Zoe, Cesar and Paenda but these songs were not so fast paced. Paenda botched all her notes without further ado.

however, Teya is obviously a girl with a strong character, incredibly smart, she is an English teaching student and wrote the lyriça. I am sure she has a strong vision for the staging.

she has Serbian parents and not to be messed with, hehe. I wish she would have been our pick instead of the mediocreVincent Bueno, but like Conchita she is back and on fire

marty

I think Finland and Austria are winning their semis and fighting for televote victory in the final. But I don’t know if Marvin Dietmann can pull of a staging that does the video justice. He bombed last year. He also did great with Zoe, Cesar and Paenda but these songs were not so fast paced. Paenda botched all her notes without further ado.

however, Teya is obviously a girl with a strong character, incredibly smart, she is an English teaching student and wrote the lyriça. I am sure she has a strong vision for the staging.

she has Serbian parents and not to be messed with, hehe. I wish she would have been our pick instead of the mediocreVincent Bueno, but like Conchita she is back and on fire
I think we have a different situation this year. LumIx was a successful artist with a strong management. He wanted his song to be staged like a dj act and ORF fulfilled his wishes. This year we have two no-names. I dont think that ORF relies on their wishes. I hope ORF learned from last years mistakes and puts a lot of effort into the staging.

Lindon

After last year's experience, Katarina will now react calm, organized and collected:

Bmbriga

I think we have a different situation this year. LumIx was a successful artist with a strong management. He wanted his song to be staged like a dj act and ORF fulfilled his wishes. This year we have two no-names. I dont think that ORF relies on their wishes. I hope ORF learned from last years mistakes and puts a lot of effort into the staging.
I think staging for Helo was good.
They had to come up with something to make upbeat clubish song interesting while simultaneously keep Pia Maria in one place, because she couldn't breathe, sing and dance or walk at the same time.
It wasn't an easy task.

marty

It's a very fast paced song, with little room for breathing, and even the best performers in the world struggle with that, live. Hope I am proven wrong.
Thats right, but there is a lot of help from the backing vocals. the melody of the chorus "oh mio padre there is a ghost in my body" is not that fast. we will see in Liverpool but get a first impression at the pre shows starting in two weeks.

marty

I think staging for Helo was good.
They had to come up with something to make upbeat clubish song interesting while simultaneously keep Pia Maria in one place, because she couldn't breathe, sing and dance or walk at the same time.
It wasn't an easy task.
I dont think they knew that she cant sing the song when they planned the staging.

Bmbriga

I dont think they knew that she cant sing the song when they planned the staging.
Maybe. But even for experienced and good singers such an upbeat song, with fast lyrics and some sort of dancing would be a challenge. It's not easy to stage such a thing.
I don't think the staging was bad.
Styling choices and stage presence on the other hand. xscared
But I don't want to give Pia anymore scrutiny, she got enough in her thread last year and she seems lovely xrose

0scar

Okay I'll admit it, I like this a lot more than I initially thought and/or wanted to admit.
Really curious to see how this will be live, could either be really bad or really good. I still think it's nowhere near winning, but it should easily sail through semi 2 and probably end up somewhere in the top 10 if the live can live up to it.

Bmbriga

I'm giving this :10:, because I like it, but I don't see myself listening it as much as Halo, that got 12 last year from me.

But I also must admit, I'm a little bit worried for this song.
As I mentioned before, some parts of the vocals seem to have effects, so I'm wondering how they are going to sound live. Not that I think they can't sing, but that it would change the mood/feeling of the song too much.

Also, the staging and their presence. If not top notch, it could tank the entire song spectacularly. I think a huge amount of viewers are not going to understand witty lyrics, so If staging and performance are not going to be on point, there's a possibility they are just going to look at two girls trying to be quirky repeating Edgar Allan Poe and there's a ghost in their body and find it annoying.

So, Austria is again sending a good song that staging and singing can kill on arrival. Well, that's true for all songs, but some more than others.
Fingers crossed.

Remembrance

Gosh... this is a guilty pleasure and an earworm. Love the composition and the lyrical content is great, too :)
Definitely in my top 10 this year.

Good luck, Austria.

• Like It
Reactions: aef

Lindon

Last edited:

Rocket man

I keep coming back to this song. I really think this could win, IF they are great live. If they are not relaxed on stage or vocals are off then you can forget winning, but I still think this would make it to the final.

mauve

Veteran
If staged right and sung well, this can attract many televoters, I think. Since Semi 2 is really weak, I can see Austria taking the first place. Go for it! Don't disappoint me! xheart

Top Bottom