Contact us

Russia RUSSIA 2022 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

crashworld

Veteran
Various degrees of conflict - sure, but... In modern history, I don't remember EBU allowing participation of a country that tried (and will very probably succeed at) swallowing their entire neighbour (whose broadcaster is an EBU member as well).

If Russia is allowed to compete, I am pretty sure half of EBU's members will refuse to participate and/or its entry will be booed to no end, but it would've still been an absolute disgrace. I doubt it will happen, EBU will budge.

It really depends on how firm EBU is going to stick with their ethos. If they really can segregate country's broadcasters from the local governments despite the outpouring support from the other broadcasters.

I think EBU is likely to adopt a wait-and-see approach. So for now, I can understand the rationale behind their statement and stand. Who knows they are secretly hoping Russia will withdraw or the broadcaster breached the EBU's rules, so they don't have to come out with a solution to this problem pro-actively.

mauve

Veteran
Can you point me to it? I don't see it anywhere.
It is the rule of this site. Additionally Matt posted this here on page 19:

"Just wanted to post something real quick.

We all agree that this situation is upsetting, scary and words can't even describe what our Ukrainian friends are going through. But it's also upsetting to the rest of us and I understand putting a "OMG, no politics in here please" is a bit silly knowing how intertwined this thing has become. It's no like we're running a forum to discuss cooking shows and recipes.

You are allowed to be angry, heck it's basically what I would expect you to be. You have every right to feel whatever it is you are feeling right now. Just when you post stuff, please be mindful that there are real people behind these usernames so hurling insults will get us nowhere.

It is okay to discuss the situation that is unfolding in front of us but keep it please related to the contest and how it could affect Eurovision, participating countries, fans, press etc. Once you go into the weeds, you want to take that to the political forum.

So we will monitor everything of course and rely on you to report posts that you deem inappropriate. Contact me via IM if you need to talk. Of course I am moving this weekend to my new home but I'll try to make time."

Shmelsasha

In the meantime, information about the allegedly upcoming inspection of the Ministry of Internal Affairs in relation to Sergey Lazarev is being forced in several telegram channels because of his position on Ukraine.

"The Ministry of Internal Affairs and the guardianship authorities are beginning to check Lazarev as an open homosexual regarding the proper care and upbringing of the child."

Sammy

Veteran
People who want Russia out, but Azerbaijan and Israel in are massive hypocrites, there shouldn't be double standards then. Also Eurovision is supposed to be free of politics and on that basis I'd let Russia participate, but I think they would withdraw anyway as I doubt any of their artists would be willing to go.
There is a difference between a war where two sides have a conflict with each other (and I will not go in discussing your examples because that would really go too far) and an unprovoked aggression against a country by manufacturing a „reason“ to mask nothing else than greed and thirst for power. Before comparing things, it is wise to look at them in detail.

Sammy

Veteran
There is a point where politics can no longer be kept away from the contest. Regardless which artist or song Russia would send - it is inevitable that people would perceive him/her respectively the song in relation to the ongoing political events. Therefore no russian artist, as hard as he/she might try is in the position to have a „neutral“ act. Even if we were to see an „independent“ artist (and I strongly doubt that Russia would allow one to compete) the act would highly be politicized.

HayashiM

Veteran
Im not sure why anyone is impressed by Lazerev’s “statement”. This is a man that has represented Russia twice since they annexed Crimea ffs
And yet, as general as his words are, he could face separation from his child, prison, maybe even death for them. Because that's how Putin's Russia works.

Any :ru: who speaks up now is pretty brave imo.

12Pointsgoto.....

There is a point where politics can no longer be kept away from the contest. Regardless which artist or song Russia would send - it is inevitable that people would perceive him/her respectively the song in relation to the ongoing political events. Therefore no russian artist, as hard as he/she might try is in the position to have a „neutral“ act. Even if we were to see an „independent“ artist (and I strongly doubt that Russia would allow one to compete) the act would highly be politicized.
Exactly. And just as I said before, it is not like this is the first time that the EBU decided to not allow a country to participate, for much smaller reasons.

12Pointsgoto.....

The EBU saying that Russia is "welcome to join" in this years contest is sad. The only reason Russia can get away with this kind of stuff is because nobody in the high positions says no. This contest was fromed to make peace, what russia is doing goes against the values of ESC

12Pointsgoto.....

I understand that it is not the contestants fault, but this should be a step to not allow Russia to do these kind of things. They can always participate for another country, or join when Russia is allowed to join again. If we don't do anything the next up is moldova and the georgia.

GermanBango

mauve

Veteran
Just as Sweden or Latvia made a statement against Russia participating this year, I would wish that other countries (Hello Germany!) would act the same. It is not about bravery here, it's about human conscience and to set a sign.

midnightsun

Veteran
Im not sure why anyone is impressed by Lazerev’s “statement”. This is a man that has represented Russia twice since they annexed Crimea ffs
Well, someone had to do it. Manizha also went. And now? Both speaking against war. Shouldn’t this be the most important thing? Or why so biased when it comes to Sergey? (Who obviously risked a lot with his statement if it’s true what Smelsascha wrote above)

MopManMoss

Veteran
Well, someone had to do it. Manizha also went. And now? Both speaking against war. Shouldn’t this be the most important thing? Or why so biased when it comes to Sergey? (Who obviously risked a lot with his statement if it’s true what Smelsascha wrote above)
What do you mean im bias when it comes to Sergey? He represented Russia post Crimea annexation twice of course im gonna single him out more than the one time representation artists because it clearly shows his words about Ukraine conflict are hollow, if he was upset at his countries actions towards Ukraine he should never have represented Russia let alone twice

Lindon

Just as Sweden or Latvia made a statement against Russia participating this year, I would wish that other countries (Hello Germany!) would act the same. It is not about bravery here, it's about human conscience and to set a sign.
It's only been a few hours and maybe I'm just impatient, but the silence from ORF is deafening. In addition to the ORF itself, I have personally contacted several ORF people. Normally, I often get an answer relatively quickly from a special contact person. That doesn't seem to be the case this time.

Top Bottom