1 0.7%

7 4.6%

14 9.2%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Iceland-scaled.jpg

Schlagerman1

@Schlagerman1 I personally think that adding a medieval, viking etc theme to it would just cheapen the whole experience and make it very cliche. I appreciate actually for once having a song like this without airy fairy stuff or naff cheese sprinkled on top of it. It's usually definitely a factor in why I struggle with this kind of music in general. The video might be very vague but it allows me to use my own imagination with the song and to just soak up the splendour of what I'm listening to. I much prefer it that way. The beauty of the song can speak for itself. It's something imo that really doesn't need a circus around it (not that you were suggesting it but it can naturally lead to being the case whenever going for such a theme). If it did get to Eurovision, for sure I would improve on camera angles. They just need to work on creating a special atmosphere with lighting and such. I just don't want them to take things down a tacky route.

I can agree that sometimes less is more, but this is a song that I have trouble seeing people around Europe to understand on a thursday or even a saturday evening. It is a very delicate and almost got a spiritiual touch to it, and I don't want it to be too much either, cause as you say, it can be an advantage point. It is though very important that they find something to latch on to, something to make the song even stronger and more memorable. Maybe the blindfolds would be enough, but maybe some movements or a setting of lights that gets brighter as the song progresses (more than in the NF-semi), something that makes people feel the song stronger than it is now.

All in all, my concern is problably that I want to like this more than I do. Maybe it comes down to the song not being strong enough IMO. Maybe she shouldn't go to Rotterdam, maybe she could get a stronger song next year and blew us all out of the park.

Mimmon

Veteran
Here is why I believe Dadi is better winner than Iva

Iva have fantastic vocals and amazing song but see the music video and staging is bland and not everyone will get the message.She was great 20 or 25 years ago not anymore.These days is all about show and Dadi have everything. A show,funky dance break that is captivating and non regular watcher will be interested it.

Uto

Veteran
Here is why I believe Dadi is better winner than Iva

Iva have fantastic vocals and amazing song but see the music video and staging is bland and not everyone will get the message.She was great 20 or 25 years ago not anymore.These days is all about show and Dadi have everything. A show,funky dance break that is captivating and non regular watcher will be interested it.
Judging NF staging like this isn’t wise. You need to look at what this will likely be in Rotterdam. Here are your two options: there’s a bunch of non-ironic amateurs chancing their way into Eurovision from a miniature country that can’t be expected to have anything better versus huge visuals with soaring church music the likes we haven’t seen for two decades. The fact that a bunch of slugs think Dathi is ‘cool’ right now does not really mean anything when translated to the big stage. It’s just asking for NQ.

EscGeek

Veteran
Just checked the odds, and holy shit!. :eek:

I thought Dadi is chanceless. His song is not my favorite, but if it has a chance to defeat Oculis videre, i have no other choice but to support it. xdiablo

Judging NF staging like this isn’t wise. You need to look at what this will likely be in Rotterdam. Here are your two options: there’s a bunch of non-ironic amateurs chancing their way into Eurovision from a miniature country that can’t be expected to have anything better versus huge visuals with soaring church music the likes we haven’t seen for two decades. The fact that a bunch of slugs think Dathi is ‘cool’ right now does not really mean anything when translated to the big stage. It’s just asking for NQ.
This is why most NF stagings almost always get revamped for the big stage for the better or worse. Take a look at Marija's Beovizija staging and compare it to the majestic beast the staging turned out to be. Quite the difference right?
If RÚV has the resources and plays the cards right, Iva might have the same chance too.

Schlagerman1

Surely you shouldn't focus solely on that, but you can actually on an early stage feel when it is something special. Take Lena for example, sure she was a quirky kid during the German idol-like NF back then, but you could feel that she got something special. Same goes for Netta, who charmed me even before "Toy" even came up as the song she was going to say. I already said on this forum that with the right song that Netta could win ESC and oops she did.
An another one that I fell in love immedietly was Salvador Sobral, that already in the FdC, a NF that before 2017 felt like you watched a contest from 10 years earlier, came in and blew everyones mind.

It might be unfair to judge Iva already, maybe they have come up with something that will surprise everyone on Saturday. Iceland themselves surprised a lot in 2009, where "Is It True?" went from bottom 3 to top 5 for me. So it isn't impossible, but I think it is better to get a buzz early, than no buzz at all...

Kitakaze

All the signs and momentum would certainly suggest Daði now anyway. If Iva keeps her semifinal performance more or less the same somehow I don’t think it’s going to be enough. I agree she just needs a much stronger visual concept.

Mrm

Veteran
1Daði & Gagnamagnið - Think About Things52%1.71.61.56
2Iva - Oculis Videre25%432.72
3Dimma - Almyrkvi14%5.5512
4Ísold & Helga - Meet Me Halfway5%101160
5Nína - Echo4%132036

:eek:

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Daði is now #7 AND #9 in the Icelandic Spotify charts. None of the other songs make the top 50. More streams locally than all the others combined.

This contest is over already.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I wouldn't say that. The old fart vote has always been STRONK in Iceland. We'll see if they're strong enough to deny him participation this time around.

Besides, (I'm not sure this is why I'm asking), is there not an international jury this year to help decide the winner?

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Hoping for a NF-result like 2015

Uto

Veteran
Yeah okay so there have been articles on commercial Dutch news sites promoting Dathi's song. That sort of stuff just doesn't happen over here, they would naturally be interested in Iva and pushing her because she's half Dutch, not her adversary. Pretty big amounts of money are thrown at Dathi's entry, it's the only way. I don't like it one bit.

mauve

Veteran
Please Iva or DIMMA. I am hoping for a surprising result ... we have been surprised already often enough. Dadi is okay, but it's nothing I would burn for.

opinionsigotem

Honestly it's getting pathetic the way people are questioning the legitimacy of Think About Things' success and also that people might actually like it? Like it's one thing to say "I disagree with you that this song is good" (acceptable!) but another to say "I don't believe what you're saying, you have been influenced to say this by higher powers", it's really disheartening.

Top Bottom