The Eurovision Song Contest 2013 is over and we obviously have a winner. Now it’s time to look back and reflect on what went down and how you liked the contest.
One of the first things that comes to mind is the hosting. SVT, the Swedish Broadcaster in charge of hosting the 2013 contest, made a lot of changes to the contest and for the most part received support from the EBU.
Some of those changes include:
– Pre-determined Running order decided internally by the producers and approved by Jon Ola Sand, the EBU Executive Supervisor
– Small venue, 11.000 tickets only
– Standing room only for the fans
– Shortening the rehearsal schedule
– No access to the first round of rehearsals
In addition, there were some other changes done that effected the overall flow of the show including:
– less time given to nnounce the Semi Final Qualifiers
– less time given for the Final Voting
– The winner was announced when they mathematically could not be beaten, in previous years it was not announced until the end of the voting
Some other changes such as allowing pre-recorded backing vocals were not approved.
SVT was criticized by several members of the press for what was described as chaotic and insufficient preparation including Internet issues and no PC/aptop availability as in previous years. The press center was also not open for the first four days forcing fans and members to work from the Euro Club which was a 20 minute bus ride north of the Malmo Arena.
On the other hand, SVT received also praise by people for bringing back Eurovision back to basics and focus on what’s important. In addition, their intent was to provide a quality show and give every song and artist the chance to shine.
While SVT supporters have been happy with the changes as to them in the end only the final product matters, a lot of fans have not been too impressed with SVT.
But now that the contest is over we would like to know from you: Looking back, how do you think Sweden & SVT has handled their hosting duties? Did people overreact and just hesitant towards changes or was there more to it?
We would like to hear from you so please vote in the poll below and share your thoughts below. You can also join our every growing community on our Forum HERE and share your thoughts.