Contact us

Zagreb 1990 - Post your top 22

Edward

First ESC edition after the fall of the Berlin Wall, attesting to this fact were no more no less than 3 songs written about the historical event. Nonetheless they didn't fare that well in the competition. Also, it was the first year in which an age limit was imposed, since in previous editions prepubescent teens were being selected and Belgium even won thanks to this in 1986. Which wasn't really fair and probably the reason for a Junior version of ESC existing nowadays. A good reason to reminisce about this edition (or least the Spanish entry) is what happened with the entry from that country. The night kicked off as never seen before in ESC (and never to be seen again). Still that didn't stop the duo Azúcar Moreno from climbing up to the 5th position, which ranks among the best Spanish final positions ever. So the "technical mishap" might actually have helped...(though the song in itself is memorable for how different it was compared to all seen in ESC that far. And I also think this very same song was a hit in my country during that decade, since I could remember the song after all)

1- :yu: Yugoslavia
2- :is: Iceland
3- :dk: Denmark
4- :es: Spain
5- :lu: Luxembourg
6- :at: Austria
7- :ch: Switzerland
8- :uk: UK
9- :pt: Portugal
10- :ie: Ireland
11- :gr: Greece
12- :nl: Netherlands
13- :no: Norway
14- :fi: Finland
15- :it: Italy
16- :se: Sweden
17- :de: Germany
18- :cy: Cyprus
19- :tr: Turkey
20- :be: Belgium
21- :il: Israel
22- :fr: France

MARCOMEN

For me, "Insieme 1992" was one of the best songs I've ever heard in my life.
Iceland was great. "White and black blues" was great too but the live performance was dreadful
The spanish entry was meh expect the begining.

Verjamem

Ok, that's my top 22 of first contest in "Eastern Europe" xup
1.:lu: Luxembourg
2.:fi: Finland
3.:at: Austria
4.:dk: Denmark
5.:it: Italy
6.:be: Belgium
7.:no: Norway
8.:ie: Ireland
9.:is: Iceland
10.:cy: Cyprus
11.:nl: Netherlands
12.:de: Germany
13.:es: Spain
14.:yu: Yugoslavia
15.:pt: Portugal
16.:ch: Switzerland
17.:fr: France
18.:tr: Turkey
19.:se: Sweden
20.:gr: Greece
21.:il: Israel
22.:uk: United Kingdom

Pawhlen

Great year.

1. :ie:
2. :it:
3. :fr:
4. :is:
5. :es:
6. :yu:
7. :cy:
8. :ch:
9. :dk:
10. :de:
11. :se:
12. :be:
13. :nl:
14. :uk:
15. :tr:
16. :pt:
17. :at:
18. :lu:
19. :fi:
20. :no:
21. :il:
22. :gr:

EscGeek

Veteran

Last edited:

SuperGirl

Re: EUROVISION YOUR CHOICE CONTEST 13! THE FINAL - Deadline: 5/4 - 23 CET!

Sorry to bring up sad news in this thread. The singer of turkish entry 1990, kayahan, has passed away April 3. He died of MODS.

RIP Kayahan.

Remembrance

Zagreb 1990 - my top 22

:12: :it: Toto Cutugno - Insieme: 1992
:10: :yu: Tajči - Hajde da ludujemo
:8: :ie: Liam Reilly - Somewhere in Europe
:7: :is: Stjórnin - Eitt lag enn
:6: :be: Philippe Lafontaine - Macédomienne
:5: :fr: Joëlle Ursull - White and Black Blues
:4: :es: Azúcar Moreno - Bandido
:3: :ch: Egon Egemann - Musik klingt in die Welt hinaus
:2: :il: Rita - Shara Barkhovot
:1: :pt: Nucha - Há sempre alguém
11 :at: Simone - Keine Mauern mehr
12 :dk: Lonnie Devantier - Hallo Hallo
13 :lu: Céline Carzo - Quand je te rêve
14 :nl: Maywood - Ik wil alles met je delen
15 :no: Ketil Stokkan - Brandenburger Tor
16 :tr: Kayahan - Gözlerinin Hapsindeyim
17 :fi: Beat - Fri?
18 :cy: Haris Anastasiou - Milas poli
19 :uk: Emma - Give a Little Love Back to the World
20 :de: Chris Kempers & Daniel Kovac - Frei zu leben
21 :se: Edin-Ådahl - Som en vind
22 :gr: Christos Callow & Wave - Horis skopo

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
My review for 1990 - Zagreb, Yugoslavia

I remember the good old times when my friend used to spend her holidays in Yugoslavia. When we went through her photos and I looked at the beautiful water and beaches, I always thought, Yugloslavia must be one of Europes most beautiful countries. Boy, I was jealous since my parents took us to either North- or Baltic Sea only. I got good vibes throughout the competition. All in all it was a decent contest that year. The Eurocat was fun. I remember this as being something very innovative in Eurovision at that time, a computer generated animation.

Hosts: Did a good job. Simple and straightforward. I like that.

Stage: Nice! It looked like a Saturday Night live show. I liked the atmosphere.

Songs: Songwise one of the best years. I almost liked every song that year. Though I will never understand that Toto Cotugno didn't run away with lots of douze points all the way straight from the beginning. Come one, this was a clear winner right from the start, wasn't it? 2nd-4th place were a little bit overrated. But exciting voting! Spain 1990 has been stuck in my mind for decades now, not only because of that disastrous audio fail at the beginning of their song that obviously didn't do them any harm - but that initial ring-a-ding-ding was a jingle/intro theme for a German tv show at that time. I don't remember which it was, I think a music show.

Interval Act: I enjoyed that sweet little movie about a beautiful country a lot. Especially because of that said memories of my friend's vacation pictures.

Worthy winner? Yes, absolutely, there is no doubt about it. Insieme had been my favourite too that year, so I was pleased with the result. It is one of the best winners of all the contests to date. Outstanding, modern, great voice. Though Toto didn't seem to be too enthusiastic towards the end when it beacme clear he'd be winning.

Most underrated songs: Cyprus, Norway, Greece.
Norway last is a bummer! I love it so much, not only because it has a German title/is about Germany, but it's outstandingly cute I think. The sweet way he pronounces Brandenburger Tor (yeah I'm not unbiased here), that easy to sing along music, uplifting at the right moment when this huge world-changing fall of the Berlin wall took place... this deserved not last place, not even anything close to last place! Cyprus not top ten is disappointing too. Really cute performance and a cute, funny song!

My top 22 ranking

1 Italy
2 Cyprus
3 Norway
4 Yugoslavia
5 Germany
6 Austria
7 Finland
8 United Kingdom
9 Ireland
10 Greece
11 Turkey
12 Belgium
13 Portugal
14 Switzerland
15 Spain
16 Israel
17 The Netherlands
18 Sweden
19 Luxembourg
20 France
21 Denmark
22 Iceland

Ajeje Brazorf

I watched the show not long ago, so here's my personal top:

1 - :es:
2 - :fr:
3 - :ch:
4 - :dk:
5 - :it:
6 - :ie:
7 - :yu:
8 - :be:
9 - :fi:
10 - :nl:
11 - :at:
12 - :tr:
13 - :cy:
14 - :is:
15 - :il:
16 - :no:
17 - :de:
18 - :se:
19 - :lu:
20 - :uk:
21 - :pt:
22 - :gr:

Ajeje Brazorf

It was a great contest, with so many songs I love. A great start for the 90's and I think Toto Cutugno was a fair winner, even if it was not my winner. I can see why Insieme:1992 is so loved by the community. I cannot put him higher because I love my top 3 songs, I totally love them, and Denmark is my guilty pleasure of the year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom