Contact us

Youtube videos

Lindon

For a few days now I'm on a trip down memory lane:

and my favorite performance of Tom at Starmania in 2006:

Last edited:

Lindon

Michael Tschuggnall was the unexpected winner of the Austrian talent show Starmania in 2003. At his last performance he surprised the voting public with a self-composed song without a pre-produced backup track.

And this was the overproduced end product by producer Peter Wolf (We Built This City) made in Los Angeles.
But well, not everyone has Leo Sayer and Jason Scheff (Chicago) as background singers, Vinnie Colaiuto (Frank Zappa Band) on the drums and Steve Luckather (Toto) on the guitar.

I wonder what rank that would have made at the ESC 2003 if it had been our entry.

Last edited:

Lindon

Eurovision song along at Austria's talent show "Starmania" in 2003
I last heard that over 17 years ago. OMG, it wasn't clear to me then how out of tune they were. But the studio was like a cauldron. It was so loud that even the sound technicians had enormous problems. I remastered it to temp down the noise of the audience a little bit.

Little insider joke: when Andi sings "Merci Chérie", I'm sure he thought of his beloved car.

Lindon

And then there was this 16 year old girl named Nadine Beiler, who defeated Tom Neuwirth in a landslide in 2007 at Starmania with 68% of the televote. The wind machine, which was already subtly used, shows the way.

Lindon

A random performance by 21-year-old Richard Schlögl (left side) and 25-year-old Andreas Pfandler in the fourth and final season of Austria's talent show Starmania in 2009, not because of sophistication, just because it was great fun. If you ask yourself, despite the end, both guys are very straight.

I just realized, Florian Wieder copied himself, it's almost the same stage design as for "Musical! Die Show" with Vincent Bueno the year before.

Edit: Sound Mix issues improved

Last edited:

Lindon

The 17 year old student Oliver Wimmer was the winner of the last season of Starmania. At the time, he was the lead singer of a punk band. So it must have been quite a surprise for his family and friends to see him on the Starmania stage not screaming into a microphone. Because punk was not on the Starmania menu. Here with Germany's Eurovision entry of 2007:

And with a legendary Austrian song:

In autumn 2010 Oliver Wimmer was nominated for the Austrian NF for the Eurovision Song Contest 2011 and was shortlisted among the top 10. But Nadine Beiler was able to win the race.

Last edited:

Lindon

The second season of Starmania, also called Starmania NG, I always call the forgotten season. And it is rightly forgotten! Because of the outstanding success of the first season, more than 12,000 candidates registered. What was left were 12 very mediocre candidates who performed on one of the ugliest Florian Wieder stages of all time.

Among the candidates you can discover the winner of "Hrvatski Idol" Patrick Jurdic, as well as Daniel Kajmakoski (Winner of X Factor Adria 2014 / represented North Macedonia at Eurovision Song Contest 2015 in Vienna).

The composer of the theme song was the winner of the first season Michael Tschuggnall.

One of the better moments that season was a performance by the so-called "unfortunately no" candidates. People who firmly think they can sing but, well...
The most striking personalities sing along with a song to a composition by Udo Jürgens, the winner of the Eurovision Song Contest 1966.
My only question is, how many wireless microphones does the Austrian Broadcasting Corporation ORF have?

Last edited:

Lindon

Back to the original first season of Austria's "Starmania". Michael Tschuggnall was the unexpected winner. In the run-up everyone was convinced that Christina Stürmer would win. In fact, it later turned out that she had won every single vote from the start. Even the vote in the final show for third place she could still win high. But at the last and crucial performance, she stumbled across her song selection.
A German Rock song in Austria couldn't win against a guy with a piano and a ballade. In the end, however, she was the winner. Tschuggnall was a one-hit wonder in Austria, while Christina started to conquer Germany from Austria with her hit "Ich lebe" here in Feb. 2005 on a German tv show:

Last edited:

Lindon

After a 12 year break, the talent show of the Austrian Broadcasting Corporation ORF "Starmania" will come back in 2021. Here sings the host of the show Arabella Kiesbauer (also one of the hosts of the Eurovision Song Contest 2015 in Vienna) with the winner of the first season of the show in 2002/03 Michael Tschuggnall "Fame".

I'm a little bit proud that the ORF used an upload from my YouTube channel for its reporting:
https://oe3.orf.at/stories/3007952/

https://oe3.orf.at/stories/3008102/

Last edited:

Lindon

In 2011, the Austrian Broadcasting Corporation ORF broke a taboo and let the first same-sex couple participate in the Austrian version of the BBC franchise "Strictly Come Dancing" entitled "Dancing Stars". The former host of the show, Alfons Haider, danced with Vadim Garbuzov, a professional dancer with Canadian and Ukrainian roots.

Lindon

Caterina Valente celebrates her 90th birthday on Thursday.

54 years ago:

Lindon

After a 12 year break, the talent show of the Austrian Broadcasting Corporation ORF "Starmania" will come back in 2021. Here sings the host of the show Arabella Kiesbauer (also one of the hosts of the Eurovision Song Contest 2015 in Vienna) with the winner of the first season of the show in 2002/03 Michael Tschuggnall "Fame".

I'm a little bit proud that the ORF used an upload from my YouTube channel for its reporting:
https://oe3.orf.at/stories/3007952/

https://oe3.orf.at/stories/3008102/

I did not expect that. Arabella Kiesbauer will return to ORF and host Starmania 21. I was actually counting on Conchita.

Sammy

Veteran
One of the better moments that season was a performance by the so-called "unfortunately no" candidates. People who firmly think they can sing but, well...
The most striking personalities sing along with a song to a composition by Udo Jürgens, the winner of the Eurovision Song Contest 1966.
My only question is, how many wireless microphones does the Austrian Broadcasting Corporation ORF have?

What a nice way to recall them without mocking them in a mean way. What a difference to formats like Idol or other talent shows...

Lindon

A few hours ago Austria's legendary talent show "Starmania" celebrated a comeback under the name "Starmania 21". Florian Wieder created the stage again.

16 year old Vanessa Dulhofer was voted into the semi final right away by the jury.

In comparison 24 year old Diego Federico had to leave the show:

There was almost a tiny Lordi moment too. 21 year old Felix Larcher:

Edit
The champagne corks popped at the ORF executive floor on late Friday evening.
The first qualifying round of the ORF-1 spring event was a hit with the young audience in particular: In the target group of 12 to 29-year-olds, 43 percent of all television viewers at the time watched the start of the ORF-1 show. When the decision was made, the market share was a very high 42 percent. The ORF event also achieved top values in the target group of 12 to 49 year olds with 35 percent market share and 31 percent market share for songs and voting. With 1.589 million viewers (the broadest group of viewers), 21 percent of the Austrian TV population watched the “Starmania 21” evening on ORF 1 for at least a short time.

Last edited:

Lindon

Michelle ESC 2001 "Wer Liebe lebt"

Michelle 20 years later yesterday evening:

Lindon

Yesterday evening in Germany. Björn and Benny from ABBA lost a bet. But Helene Fischer had to pay the price. To her surprise she was forced to perform S.O.S with the two Bs from ABBA:

Last edited:

Lindon

Why isn't this on the shortlist for Germany 2022 ?

Lindon

Legendary ESC hostess Anke Engelke as a kid with Austrian ESC 1966 winner Udo Jürgens in 1977

Top Bottom