Contact us

Your linguistic skills

Sultana

hot update
:es: I feel that I am becoming better and better in it. So happy of being able to express my feelings, my thoughts and my actions in Spanish. I wish I could speak faster, but for now I need to think of the construction of the sentence for quite a long time. Also my fonetics is worrying me. But I am definetely making steps forward!
:en: I think my knowledge have decreased.. Now Its B2 kinda closer to B1 :D I feel that some words I have already forgotten, my speech has become poorer, there is a big simplicity in it. Also, I found out that I dont understand so many words. IDK I feel depressed about my english.
:va: Completely forgot, thanks god.

:de: I have a course which requires learning the third language. Probably it will be German since it sounds so harsh. It attracts me with being pretty complicated XD

:es: Passed some tests and all of them say I am A2/B1. Feel very good about it
:en: I think I am starting to forget this language need more practice in it and more vocabulary. Currently B1-B2, ( used to be B2 - C1)
:fr: I am going to learn French as my third language in uni, I've given up with German after couple of days of self learning. It requires system, and my brain is already into Romance languages, so I've made a decision to learn French.

In Plans :
:pt: Portuguese, just for myself
:tr: I like the way how this language is built up. Its agglutinative language so what amuzes me is that they have the main part of the word and then they add different suffixes to it and make from one small word a huge one that describes a lot ! Amazing.
:hu: I find this language beautiful. Maybe I will learn it one day, who knows?

DJNightingale

:en: I think I am starting to forget this language need more practice in it and more vocabulary. Currently B1-B2, ( used to be B2 - C1)
:fr: I am going to learn French as my third language in uni, I've given up with German after couple of days of self learning. It requires system, and my brain is already into Romance languages, so I've made a decision to learn French.

In Plans :
:tr: I like the way how this language is built up. Its agglutinative language so what amuzes me is that they have the main part of the word and then they add different suffixes to it and make from one small word a huge one that describes a lot ! Amazing.

You don't know Turkish language? :eek: All the time I thought you are from Turkey.

JSSArcos

:pt: Portuguese = My native language :D
:es: Spanish = It is very similar to Portuguese,I study Spanish for very few years,I think I'm more than able to speak , At least I understand very well.
:uk: English = I have been learning since I was six years old (and I still have classes in English),I can easily understand texts , I can write well too. although I still have problems sometimes with the vocabularies,I still have some years of English study, and I hope to be speaking 100%
:fr: French = I studied French 3 years, I can quite well read and understand french,but sometimes I have some difficulty writing,and I think I've been able to talk a little, but I'm not very comfortable yet.
:it: Italian = Due to the proximity to Spanish and Portuguese,I can read italian and understand the main idea of what is said. But I couldn't speak.

Languages I would spend learning

::na = But I do not think I'll ever have the courage to learn,

:de: = Maybe one day

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Hot update

:ro: - native language

:en: I'm on C1 level now (thanks uni for two years of common law class in English, i guess) even though I still make a ton of mistakes . One thing I still can't do is to actually talk in this bloody language. I hate my accent. :lol:

:fr: I studied French for 8 years and it went to pretty much nothing, I forgot almost everything :lol: Unlike with English, my speaking skills were on point with it. Sigh, maybe I'll try the duolingo course to remember this language again.

:es::it::pt: I'm still at the level of only knowing some basic phrases and understanding some words only because my native language is a romance one. I think I know more Spanish than the other two though. xthink

:ru: I know how to read the alphabet and some random words. Clearly an expert xheat

Future plans

:es: Get a real understanding of Spanish
:ru: Maybe, at some point. I still think their grammar is a sacrilege though.
:se: :fi: They just sound interesting. Another case of horrible grammar (yes im looking at you Finland)

BernadetteCydonia

:lt: Mother tongue.
:en: "Really good at it". In fact I am so not. I'm actually better at Simple English as they call it in Wikipedia.
:ru: Was taught this at school. I don't really delve much in the language but I remember some necessary keywords if I need to Google a Russian video in Cyrilics.
:de: Want to learn more of. (Same can be said about :es:, :fr:, :it:, :se:, :nl:... :lol:)

tomos2019

Not sure if I should bump the topic, but here it is anyway. Most languages I'm learning are not strongly Eurovision related (I just started Polish last year) because I've had others I've been more interested in.

:jp: :wale: Japanese and Welsh: I've both been learning over 10 years, it was tokusatsu (Sentai and Kamen Rider, the origin of Power Rangers) that got me into languages and I discovered we had a Welsh dictionary nearly a year later and loved the sound of that as well. I'm half-Welsh and I'm very into Wales.

:kr: Korean: I started just over 5 years ago and it's the only language other than Japanese and Welsh that's anywhere near passable.

:ie: Irish Gaelic, ::na Mandarin Chinese, :pl: Polish, Cornish, Ainu and ::ken Swahili: I know barely anything of and don't spend much time on! I just started learning more recently because I got bored of waiting.

The trouble is, I don't spend enough time on languages to get anywhere decent on most of them, plus I am not likely to meet people that speak most of them in Cornwall so it's hard to know how good I am!

B3stbeats

Parents Tongue

Spain.png
Spanish
Spain.png
Galician

Fluent Languages

Portugal.png
Portuguese (is a little similar with Spanish)
Italy.png
Italian (is a little similar with Spanish)
England.png
English
France.png
French

Studying

England.png
English
France.png
French - B1
Vatican.png
Latin (In love as the language as his culture)
Greece.png
Ancient Greek (In love as the language as his culture)

A Few Words Learned

Norway.png
Norwegian (thanks Babbel)
Catalonia.png
Catalá

Posible Future Learnings

South%20Africa%20(ZA).png
Afrikaans
Croatia.png
Croatian
Japan.png
Japanese kawaii
Turkey.png
Turkish
Romania.png
Romanian
Russian Federation.png
Russian

And the list follows...

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Fluent:
Portuguese

Advanced:
English

Quite There:
Spanish

I have to go back and study:
Dutch

I started but it's on hold:
Russian
Japanese
Romanian

One day maybe:
Arabic
Greek
Italian
Serbian

lilka

:gr: A few days ago a Greek person said to me that I speak like a native speaker and without accent, and that actually she thought I was Greek, which makes me a little bit embarrassed, but also extremely proud, because I loooove the language so much! xheart

Ausesken

:gr: A few days ago a Greek person said to me that I speak like a native speaker and without accent, and that actually she thought I was Greek, which makes me a little bit embarrassed, but also extremely proud, because I loooove the language so much! xheart

Woah, I know that feeling. In Italy all the exams at uni were oral, and I remember one of the teachers didn't know I was an Erasmus student. When I told it her, she said she hadn't noticed anything in my accent XD.

Clinty

I looooooove linguistics and languages fascinate all the cells of my body, but I only speak English rip </3
I did Japanese all through high school and a bit in uni but dropped it because I was in over my head. I've tried learning a bunch of languages on Duolingo (French, German, Polish, Hungarian) but lost interest after a few days/weeks.

Phonetics is probably my favourite area of linguistics xheart

Sultana

In Plans :

:es: B1' B2 can support conversations and can understand a lot of stuff. Very proud of myself, tho I make lots of mistakes... Silly ones when I speak
:en: I think I will stick to my B2 level my entire life. I can support all types of conversations, I guess and I can express my thoughts and opinion without any problem.
:fr: Second year in a row I struggle with this... Dont like. I wish I would have picked German.

:pt: Lost interest and intensions to learn it since I am struggling rn with Spanish and with my current obsession of Turkish.
:tr: I am on my way to A2! I love turkish! Hard, but beautiful language of agglutinative structure.
:hu: Still in plans

Ausesken

[MENTION=11624]Sultana[/MENTION] the Spanish language thread needs the presence of the Sultana XD feel free to practice with us

Himan

Well, I often forget English is my second language. Still I feel I sometimes make some minor mistakes in English. Especially my writing style or order of words have sometimes flaws I feel. So it's a good thing to write stuff down here. Also I'm a little bit slower reading English. I don't know what my official rating is. I'm using this language every day, so I feel quite comfortable in it, but like I said my texts miss flow.

Dutch of course is my mother tongue.

I'm learning Spanish right now, but it's a Roman language, so I still feel quite weak, however I've completed Doulingo to the bottom and have a 140 day streak in it. But I'm probably best in reading. I'm trying to get really comfortable in the basics to build from that.

German is pretty close to the dialect I grew up in so I probably can understand it if people speak. I'm always wrong with grammar though, so writing will give lots of mistakes and speaking too, though I probably can make things understandable. I do believe it's still my third language.

My French is pretty bad, except the basics and hands and feet, but the older generation don't accept that...

I'm trying to get very very basic in Romanian since I'm going on vacation there, but it's a bit difficult.

The rest is probably me knowing the Greek alphabet, Cyrillic alphabet and understanding how Korean works without speaking it. And the most important thing. Wodka comes from woda. Which means water... Oh and I have a feel for logic, so sometimes I do understand unexpected stuff, especially in Germanic languages.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I'm trying to get very very basic in Romanian since I'm going on vacation there, but it's a bit difficult.

Woah, which cities are you visiting? :D

And yes, I've heard Romanian is a bit harsh to learn for non-Romance speakers, especially when the vocabulary is a wild mix of Turkish, Slavic, Proto-Romanian and Latin words :lol: Other than old people, people usually understand basic English so you could use it to speak with the locals, especially in big cities such as Cluj, Constanta, Bucharest etc.

Himan

Woah, which cities are you visiting? :D

And yes, I've heard Romanian is a bit harsh to learn for non-Romance speakers, especially when the vocabulary is a wild mix of Turkish, Slavic, Proto-Romanian and Latin words :lol: Other than old people, people usually understand basic English so you could use it to speak with the locals, especially in big cities such as Cluj, Constanta, Bucharest etc.
Well, I'm not totally sure yet, but I will probably visit Bucharest, so if you want to meet. :)

DenizESC

Banned
:tr: Fluent
:nl: Fluent 2
:en: Good
:de: Ein Bisschen

Have tried/studied:
:fr: Flop, I hate the language XD and was always the only one at school who did, the struggle of not finding a fellow French hater has been really hard on me throughout the years xcry

:es: I think I tried it once on Duolingo lol if that counts...

:gr: Chose it as a subject in school but after 2 weeks never attended the class again. Next year changed it for computer science. But I actually love Greek lol, was just too lazy to learn another language.

:va: (Latin) Studied Latin 2 years at school, I barely remember anything. But if you'd show me some things I'd be at least familiar with it again I'm sure.

:ru: Copy what I said with Spanish : P

:jp: I totally wanted to learn it and feel the Kawaii but I stopped after: 'Hajimashite watashi wa, Deniz! xheart'. Still would like to learn one day though.

Future: ::na :es: :jp: :ru: ::sy(Arabic) and more...

Bonus:
:za: (understand a lot because of Dutch)
:az: (basically it's just another dialect of Turkish so... Lol nice way to make the list longer.)

SaladBreak

I'm the same with French xgaah, it's simply refusing to get learned, but I love the language. On the other hand, when I had to learn German it was easier than French, but I'm so happy I don't have to learn that boring language anymore. :lol: I'm currently renewing my Italian knowledge, so hopefully it can help me with French in the future.

Top Bottom