Contact us

Your linguistic skills

Carrie

:se: I am doing a little Swedish with Duolingo and it's surprisingly similar to English. xhmmm

Sultana

:ru: - native language
:en: - I've been already studied English for 10 years, due to my studying in secondary school specialized in English. I can't say that I am a good student, though my marks are quite good. I can write, read on English and understand English speech very well. My own speech isn't as good as should be, because of my origin. So sometimes I pronounce words with typical "russian" accent instead of british one.
:fr: - Learned it for one year in 2012. It was like extra courses at school, but I wasn't a good student at all. So now in 2014 I don't remember anything :lol: In my opinion french is rather hard language, but it is absolutely beautiful.
:es: - Two years ago I tried to learn Spanish on my own. I dreamed about life in Spain.. But I failed ( as always) :lol:. Though I still have desire to learn it.
:ua: - Despite of beign in the same language group with Russian, Ukranian is such a big mystery for me. To be honest, I can't understand speaking Ukranian at all. Maybe some words, but I can understand written Ukranian on 20%-40%. The hardest thing in Ukranian for me is months of the year :lol: In future I would like to improve my knowlege in this language and maybe not learn, but to understand it quite well.
:gr: - This year I learned the alphabet! xbow I can read it very fluent.
:bg: - I can understand written bulgarian, because it is very close language to Russian or old Russian.
:rs: :hr: - Can understand written Serbian and Croatian a little bit. Just because this languages are Slavic lanugages as my mother tougne. Unfortunately, other Slavic languages are a little bit harder for me

OK a year has already passed so now I should update the information too :lol:
:en: Something between B2-C1, according to my test, which I wrote after I entered the university.
:es: Due to my specialty now :es: is the language which I learn every day during my classes. I can read without any mistake, I can describe some basic things and support basic conversation. I think my level now is A0 :lol: but soon will be ( hopefully) A1 :D
:fr: is forgotten completely
:ae: started it as extra courses. Like it a lot
:va: the language which I have to learn as a part of my university program. Will do it next semester xfaint

Viktor77

Hello, here are my linguistic skills.

:us:-Native language, American English.

:fr:-High level in French which I am constantly working on improving.

:es:-High level in Spanish though I am losing it by not practicing it.

:nl:-Currently learning Dutch. I can express some things and understand more.

:de:-Studied German but not currently working on it so it's still pretty basic.

:uk: Native Language, and I consider myself pretty 'good with words'.

:de: My German is okay. I've studied this at school and it's still not perfect, but I really want to try and be able to speak it fluently.

:se: Started learning Swedish yesterday using a mixture of memrise (preferred) and duolingo, although for some reason the word varifrån is really difficult for me to remember? Every time it pops up into the test I get it wrong, usually I type something similar but not the correct word.. the sentence is "varifrån kommer du?" (where do you come from?) but yeah idk maybe it's a tongue-twister sentence or something

Alevender

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lv: - Native (100%)

:ru: - Have to say that it is way better than my English. Russian language is one of my favourite subjects at school and I love this language. I can speak, write, watch films and read books in Russian very well. (90% - 95%)

:en: - Not that bad, but I always have a feeling that I have mistakes in every sentence I write. I have some problems with my grammar and my vocabulary is a bit poor, but I can live with that. (75%)

:ua: - I have never learned it, but it looks very similar to Russian and I can understand written texts in Ukrainian. Would like to learn it. (25% - 30%)

I would like to learn :hr:, :rs: or :bg: language too. Actually, I am a big fan of Slavic languages, I find them very charming and that is the main reason why I would love to learn at least one of them.

blue00eyes

:pl: native, I can read, speak and write without problems :lol:
:uk: very mediocre, I understand a lot but I speak so bad, I am still working on it, my accent is awful.
:de: entschuldigung, aber viel habe ich vergessen ;)
I would like to learn :ru:/:ua: and make my :de: better.

neinnein

:de: German. My native language.
:uk: English. I guess it's not that bad. I started learning it in school, when I was 8. Nowadays, I mostly watch and read stuff in English. German-speaking TV is not that exciting.
:fr: French. I had to learn it for eight whole years in school. I was never particulary good in it and I'm missing practice. I guess, I still can build a few sentences and survive a holiday in a french-speaking country. :D
:rs: :hr: :ba: :me: Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian/Montenegrin. I chose this as an elective class last October and it's really interesting, because we learn a lot about the differences between those languages. The downside is that it feels like simply being a grammatical course and we don't learn that many vocabularies. However, I held my first presentation last week in Croatian. :D And I can write in Cyrilic.
:ro: Romanian. I dated a Romanian for a few months and he taught me some things. But I doubt that I could make conversation in Romanian. :D

I'm really interested in Slavic languages, so I'm still going to improve my B/S/C/M after the class finishes next month and then maybe start with Polish or something like that. :)

Mii11

My linguistic skills are very bad. I literally cannot even use my native languages properely xfacepalm Im billingual so unfortunately I make a lot of mistakes when using both of my languages (Im sure you have noticed that, because even my English is truely awful).
Overall, I have some understanding of the following languages:
:en: :de: :fr: :pl: :cz:
I also studied :pt: , :va: and ::na at some point in my life, but I dont remember anything.

Can someone give me an advice on learning new languages as well as improving my native ones? How did you learn foreign languages? What method do you recommend?

Sultana

:ru: - native language
:en: - I've been already studied English for 10 years, due to my studying in secondary school specialized in English. I can't say that I am a good student, though my marks are quite good. I can write, read on English and understand English speech very well. My own speech isn't as good as should be, because of my origin. So sometimes I pronounce words with typical "russian" accent instead of british one.
:fr: - Learned it for one year in 2012. It was like extra courses at school, but I wasn't a good student at all. So now in 2014 I don't remember anything :lol: In my opinion french is rather hard language, but it is absolutely beautiful.
:es: - Two years ago I tried to learn Spanish on my own. I dreamed about life in Spain.. But I failed ( as always) :lol:. Though I still have desire to learn it.
:ua: - Despite of beign in the same language group with Russian, Ukranian is such a big mystery for me. To be honest, I can't understand speaking Ukranian at all. Maybe some words, but I can understand written Ukranian on 20%-40%. The hardest thing in Ukranian for me is months of the year :lol: In future I would like to improve my knowlege in this language and maybe not learn, but to understand it quite well.
:gr: - This year I learned the alphabet! xbow I can read it very fluent.
:bg: - I can understand written bulgarian, because it is very close language to Russian or old Russian.
:rs: :hr: - Can understand written Serbian and Croatian a little bit. Just because this languages are Slavic lanugages as my mother tougne. Unfortunately, other Slavic languages are a little bit harder for me
OK a year has already passed so now I should update the information too :lol:
:en: Something between B2-C1, according to my test, which I wrote after I entered the university.
:es: Due to my specialty now :es: is the language which I learn every day during my classes. I can read without any mistake, I can describe some basic things and support basic conversation. I think my level now is A0 :lol: but soon will be ( hopefully) A1 :D
:fr: is forgotten completely
:ae: started it as extra courses. Like it a lot
:va: the language which I have to learn as a part of my university program. Will do it next semester xfaint
Update on 3d of June 2016:
:es: is now my main target. During this year I've studied a lot of different spanish things. Now I can support some basic convo, know gerund, imperative, and so-called present simple :D I think now my level is somewhere between a1 - a2, as I've learnt A LOT.

:en: I think it fall down XD I have now something like B2+ closer to B2 than to C1 :lol: I do a lot of grammar mistakes. Miss school times when I knew more :D

:va: UNFORTUNATELY, had a half of the year dealing with this sht. I can write, can define what is adjective, verb or noun :D I can translate but with dictionary. I know 4 tenses. I think my level is -A1 in this... Hope to forget soon this awful language.

:ae: Now is completely forgotten.. eh!

:tr: Have plans to learn this and :pt: xlove but :br: one.

Mii11

Update on 3d of June 2016:
:es: is now my main target. During this year I've studied a lot of different spanish things. Now I can support some basic convo, know gerund, imperative, and so-called present simple :D I think now my level is somewhere between a1 - a2, as I've learnt A LOT.

:en: I think it fall down XD I have now something like B2+ closer to B2 than to C1 :lol: I do a lot of grammar mistakes. Miss school times when I knew more :D

:va: UNFORTUNATELY, had a half of the year dealing with this sht. I can write, can define what is adjective, verb or noun :D I can translate but with dictionary. I know 4 tenses. I think my level is -A1 in this... Hope to forget soon this awful language.

:ae: Now is completely forgotten.. eh!

:tr: Have plans to learn this and :pt: xlove but :br: one.

That is still really impressive :) How did you manage to learn all of that? How do you study grammar and vocabulary in each language?

Sultana

That is still really impressive :) How did you manage to learn all of that? How do you study grammar and vocabulary in each language?

:es: is my second language in the uni. It is my future bread and so on :D We study it very intensively. Like at uni I spend 3 hours studying it, and at home I spend like 6 hours with homework. It is huge. Normally, my professor gives us 300-400 words on sheet of paper which we have to learn for a mark. Same with verbs and adjectives. Grammar moslty on my own, as my professor explains only 10 mins, then we just do 100500 exercises. Yes Exercises are the key :D Normally I do like 10 at home for understanding.

:va: was another story. It also was a part of my course. Obligatory one, unfortunately. Professor explained some things like grammar, conjugations and so on to us and our target was to translate latin texts at home. We haven't learnt anything. It just stuck in my head after translating billions of texts :D For exam I had to learn 50 idioms and 200 words which I like. So I've learnt things which reminded me Spanish or English or my native Russian :D Latin is a waste of time as for me :D

:en: I learnt at school. I spent 11 years learning it and it wasn't that intensive as :es: at uni, because I had school plan for 11 years :D I am still kinda bad at it, but it is my second useful lang after :ru:

LastDreamer

Banned
-------------

Last edited:

ShoeFlo

:uk: I took an exam for Cambridge Certificate. It was actually for B2 level but today I received the message I passed it with A grade. I am on C1 level in Reading, Use of English, Writing and Listening. Only in Speaking I'm still on B2 (no surprise, I improved my English by spending my time in this forum but sadly one doesn't have oral conversations in a forum xD). If you accidentally spot a weird quote of mine in the signature of cherished [MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] please be aware that my English gets messy when I write hastily and that happens pretty often.

My other langauges are somehow stuck in the middle of nowhere.

:se: I didn't learn Swedish vocabularies for quite a long time. I used to read reports in my favorite swedish sport website Fotbollskanalen but after the 74th article about Zlatan Ibrahimovic I started to get bored. However, I think I totally get the Swedish grammar. The vocabulary is easy too. If I just had time to focus only on Swedish a couple of weeks I could improve very quickly...

:it: The time period I haven't focussed on Italian language is even longer than the time I didn't learn any Swedish... according to the exams I took in my Italian curse a couple of years ago I was one B1 level once... this time is over though :lol: I feel like it could be difficult getting back to the level I once had. For some reason I don't have a good access to this language even though it's my second home country. I wish I grew up bilingual tbh...

:es: The language I learned in school for 7 years. Sadly, in my youth I didn't care much about languages and nowadays I really regret it. The first 3-4 years of spanish classes were basically for nothing... Later on I stepped up my game but then suddenly my school time was over :( The other day I checked my Spanish knowledge trying to refresh it a bit. It turned out I still remember a lot, especially the basic things are still very easy for me. Moreover I find it much easier than Italian for example.

:is: Emm, I can construct some complex sentences such as "Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust" and "Inní mér syngur vitleysingur" xshifty xshifty seriously... thanks to music I've managed to memorize a couple of words. Sadly I'm pretty clueless about grammar. Pronounciation is another story...

:hr: I can speak words like "Dobra večer" and "Afrika paprika" so I'm not far away from C1 level.

I think about doing some sort of "language trip" either in Sweden or in a Spanish-speaking country xthink I desperately wanna spend some time abroad and this would be a good occasion for that.

ZoboCamel

:uk: My native language, I use it all the time, etc etc. I'm still wanting to improve, though, since once I graduate from university I'll need particularly good language skills to find work in the career I'm aiming for (translation). So, well... it's a work in progress.

:jp: Just below fluency, I guess? Two years learning the language in high school, three years as my major for my undergrad in uni, and one year (so far) of a translation postgrad course. Outside of formal stuff, I've done the usual talking to people, consuming media, yadda yadda. I've got a long way to go, especially in some areas (keigo and kanji are particularly painful), but I can at least talk or write about a majority of topics, especially with research/preparation. As far as official measures go, I got my Bachelor of Arts majoring in the language, and more recently scraped into a passing mark for the NAATI translation exam. I'm fairly confident I could pass JLPT N2 if I went for it, but I'm aiming to eventually get N1, which is going to require a lot of kanji and grammar practice before I even consider it.

:id: I spent three years learning the language at the start of high school, as it was mandatory... but I've just about forgotten everything about it. I'm pretty sure I could at least hold casual conversation before, but I think I'd be lucky to remember five words now, tops. I'm actually impressed by how completely I've forgotten everything I learned about the language. :lol:

[MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION] Impressive list you've got there. You put me to shame. :oops:

Sultana

:es: is my second language in the uni. It is my future bread and so on :D We study it very intensively. Like at uni I spend 3 hours studying it, and at home I spend like 6 hours with homework. It is huge. Normally, my professor gives us 300-400 words on sheet of paper which we have to learn for a mark. Same with verbs and adjectives. Grammar moslty on my own, as my professor explains only 10 mins, then we just do 100500 exercises. Yes Exercises are the key :D Normally I do like 10 at home for understanding.

:va: was another story. It also was a part of my course. Obligatory one, unfortunately. Professor explained some things like grammar, conjugations and so on to us and our target was to translate latin texts at home. We haven't learnt anything. It just stuck in my head after translating billions of texts :D For exam I had to learn 50 idioms and 200 words which I like. So I've learnt things which reminded me Spanish or English or my native Russian :D Latin is a waste of time as for me :D

:en: I learnt at school. I spent 11 years learning it and it wasn't that intensive as :es: at uni, because I had school plan for 11 years :D I am still kinda bad at it, but it is my second useful lang after :ru:
hot update
:es: I feel that I am becoming better and better in it. So happy of being able to express my feelings, my thoughts and my actions in Spanish. I wish I could speak faster, but for now I need to think of the construction of the sentence for quite a long time. Also my fonetics is worrying me. But I am definetely making steps forward!
:en: I think my knowledge have decreased.. Now Its B2 kinda closer to B1 :D I feel that some words I have already forgotten, my speech has become poorer, there is a big simplicity in it. Also, I found out that I dont understand so many words. IDK I feel depressed about my english.
:va: Completely forgot, thanks god.

:de: I have a course which requires learning the third language. Probably it will be German since it sounds so harsh. It attracts me with being pretty complicated XD

John1

:fr: (C2) My native language of course. I can't say that I'm speaking it perfectly, as it seems that there's always something new to learn, even though this is the language with which you're usually relying on.

:uk: (C1) How hilarious it comes across, but I couldn't even figure my life out and would feel depressed without using English and everything which is linked to it. I'd say that I'm fluent in English, as I did improve my overall level along with my English writing/speaking skills quite fast when I attended high school, when I used to be awful at it. Furthermore, I did ensure that I'd practice and learn a lot of new elements surrounding English grammar, vocabulary(...) as I'm pursuing an English and German degree with some international trade courses. :mrgreen:

:de: (B1~B2) I ain't speaking German as well as English, though I'm thrilled of some aspects of this language. ;) Moreover, to some people's mind, German is one of the most complex language to study and learn. I'm glad to announce you that it truly is. :mrgreen:

Eulaliya

:ph: - My native tongue obviously. In my home island of Mindanao, Cebuano/Bisaya is the principal dialect, but I have managed to speak only a bit for my mother's Hiligaynon roots I'm proud of.

:en: - Fluent since elementary days. Although in my country they use American English, I prefer the British one because it has stuck on me since I started reading UK-published books ages ago. (There are tons of 'em in second-hand bookstores in cheap prices!) But I have no problems with common US one though.

:va: - My Catholic upbringing is responsible for learning Latin prayers (e.g. "Ave Maria", "Sanctus", etc.) in school. Currently learning it as pure hobby.

:es: - Had been part of our curriculum in school in my high school days. In hiatus since the beginning of my current college days.

:ru: - Started learning it three years ago as a hobby but stopped in the middle for some reason.

:gr: - Same as Russian. In hiatus but likely to pick up anytime.

:fr:, :yu:, :it:, :de:, :jp: :id:/:my: - Basic ones limiting to only individual words and phrases. Some of them will be likely to grow anytime.

Coming soon: Arabic, Hebrew, Swedish

DJNightingale

Speak fluently:
:ua: - Native! :)
:ru: - Not native, but all Ukrainians understand this language (Soviet past, you know)
Also can speak (so-so):
:en: - Without English I couldn't talk here :)
A little bit can speak:
:de: - I learn in a German-specialised school. We have German lessons every day.

Future plans:
:va: - Very ancient and sacramental language.
:es: - My favourite foreign language, very beautiful!

Top Bottom