Contact us

Your linguistic skills

Verjamem

I started this thread, because I want to know, how many languages you know and if indeed Eurofans are polyglots ;) I will begin the discussion :D
:pl: Polish - Of course, my native language. I can speak Polish since I remember :)
:en: English - I'm studying it since I was 7 (September 2005). I don't think I'm speaking English very well, but I know "some" of vocabulary and can use a language.
:ru: Russian - I'm learning this language since October. At this moment I can write and read the cyrillic, and I know some basic words.
:rs: Serbian/:hr: Croatian - I want to learn it in future ;)

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
^ Nice thread :D

:ro: Romanian - my native language ^_^
:en: English - I studied more english by myself than in school
:fr: French - I'm studying french since 5th grade. That was...like 7 years ago. I still suck at french :/
:no: - I tried to learn norwegian last year but I gave up when I had to start studying for my final exams this year.
:es: - I know some spanish just because I know romanian + telenovelas xrofl2

DanielLuis

Besides Portuguese I also know how to speak English fluently. Then I know a bit of French, but not much, only studied it from the 7th to the 9th grade and that was a while ago. I can understand most of Spanish as well, as it's close to Portuguese.
I'm more into sciences, and that's what I want to make a living of, but still in the future I want to learn more languages, starting by "re-learning" French!

anto475

:en: The language I was mainly raised in
:ie: The language that I've been learning since I was 2, only discovered my passion for it when I was 15
:de: Started learning this in school at around 11 years of age
:fr: And then I've always had a bit of this like, only properly started learning it when I was 17
:md: Well Zdob si Zdub got me interested in this language and I just think it's really nice. I use :md: instead of :ro: because every Romanian I meet tells me I have a Moldovan accent, probably due to the Zdubii
:no: I listen to a lot of Kaizers Orchestra, Skambankt, and NRKP3, which pushed me to learn this language
:se: My Norwegian helped a lot with this, but I'd say watching Melfest and things like Hey Baberiba and Parlamentet got me into Swedish
:dk: The Norwegian and Swedish helped a lot here, I never thought I'd learn it until I started watching Borgen
:pl: We went to Poland in school and took a semester of Polish classes which I've used a lot here
:ru: Russian has always fascinated me and a friend from Yakutsk helped me learn a bit in school and I've gone on to learn more myself
:pt: Currently learning this in college
:es: Same as Portuguese

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
As a Brit, let me show you my amazing array of linguistic skills.

:en: My language.
:fr: Started learning this at 10 in year 6, carried it through to end of school. I chose to take it as a GCSE in final 2 years of school, when I could have ditched it. I ended up with a D though. We didn't quite connect with each other...

Don't fall off your seats at the variety of languages I can speak.

MyHeartIsYours

:en:
English :lol:

I cant speak French any longer, I cant remember any of it bar a few words and a couple of phrases.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
:en:
English :lol:

I cant speak French any longer, I cant remember any of it bar a few words and a couple of phrases.

Oh dear. I feel so ignorant to foreign languages.

MyHeartIsYours

Oh dear. I feel so ignorant to foreign languages.
Typical Brits ;) At least you did it at GCSE though, I dropped French and Spanish asap after year 9 :lol: There was no point in learning Spanish cuz it was 1 hour a week, it took an hour away from us doing French and the teacher couldnt control the class so all hell broke loose each week :lol: I didnt know any Spanish even when I was learning it :lol:

DaFlo

Banned
:de: my native language of course
:en: learned it in school and I think I'm more than able to speak it, although I still have problems sometimes with the vocabularies
:fr: learned it 5 years in school.. I hated it as a subject, and so I only now some words and sentences now
:se: :ru: :it: I would love to learn these languages, but unfortunately I'm not that good in learning laguages.. maybe if I know some people from there they could help me :)

Tinchey

:hr: - native
:rs::ba::me: - almost perfect, I just need to work on cyrillic letters
:it: - I've been studying it for 12 years since I was 7 years old
:en: - 11 years since I was 5 years old
:fr: - 2,5 years, in high school, soon I'll try to take some classes to improve it
:se: - college
:dk: - I'll have courses in danish very soon
:mk::bg::sl: - I can understand most of the times, but I can't have a conversation in that language

r3gg13

:ph: Native (exposed to it since birth, have spoken it since I can remember, started learning it formally when I was 8)
:us: Native (exposed to it since birth, more like my parents force-fed me English since birth, started speaking it when I was 5)
:jp: Used to speak it (I spoke it when I was a young along with Tagalog and English, I knew how to read and write katakana, hiragana, and basic kanji as well. I lost it when I was around 8 or 9. If I still spoke it, it would be another "native language")
:fr: C1 level according to the assessment test I took before starting my year in France, 2 years ago. I think I'm losing it though.
:mx: I can read it, I can also understand it when it's spoken to me, but can only barely speak it.

:hr: I pretend that I understand it xcookie :lol:

Yamarus

:fr: C1 level according to the assessment test I took before starting my year in France, 2 years ago. I think I'm losing it though.

Your French is excellent Reggie! The C1 level is totally accurate ;).

- :fr: My main native language (native level)
- :uk: My second native language (studying English literature and linguistics at university means I can teach English better than French) (native level)
- :nl: My main language of study (C2 level)
- :de: My minor language of study (A2-B1 level). I can't speak it very well but reading and understanding is quite easy.
- :es: I should be fluent in Spanish (took classes at school and evening classes) but somehow I never got the hang of it and I actually have a very poor knowledge of the language. Romance languages don't seem to stick... Strange considering my native language is French.
- :tr: The language I would love to be able to speak. At the moment I only know a few phrases and most of the basic grammar rules but I lack vocabulary and practice. Turkish is definitely on the top of my "to learn" list.

pinkchiffon

:us: (Are we using the flag of the variety that we speak, or does that make me look like one of those "we speak AMERICAN" types? :lol:) Native
:ru: Have been learning it in college for the past few years, can read and understand quite a bit. My conversational skills aren't great, but I'm working on it.
:lt: I end up listening to it a lot, so last year I decided that while I'm at it, I should try to learn some grammar and how it actually works. I just study it in my spare time when I'm not too busy with Russian.

amateur

There was a thread like that, as I remember it? Anyway,

:tr: Native
:en: I think I'm fluent, as I can communicate online and understand ~90% of what I read and ~70% of what I listen, but I'm not sure if I can speak it
:az: Mutually intelligible language to Turkish, I know the grammar rules where they differ, but I think I need to learn more vocabulary
uz.png
Have been studying it for a year, I have made some progress but still I'm not even close to fluency
:de: Studied it at high school but have forgotten pretty much everything except a few phrases, never learned much anyway

lilka

:pl: Polish - my native language
:uk: English - I learned it at school and I'm still learning by myself ;) I'm fluent.
:es: Spanish - I learned a bit of it by myself when there was a boom for Mexican telenovelas in Poland (end of '90s, I was 8-9) and then I took Spanish lessons at a language school. Now I'm fluent.
:gr: Greek - I learned it by myself and spending vacation in Greece helped me a lot. Now I'm quite fluent, when I go to Greece I speak only Greek.
:fr: French - learned a bit at high school, but almost everything was forgotten :lol: I understand a lot though, and I want to refresh it.
:it: Italian - I have once learned a bit by myself. Now I only understand a lot, but I'm not able to speak.
:se: Swedish - this is a language I would love to learn. I love how it sounds to my Polish ears - like a bit of German, Dutch and English with British English pronunciation.

I also understand some German, because I had German lessons at primary school (years ago :lol:)

Salmon

A mix of :hr: and :ba: - Native

:de: - Kind of native, since I was born and raised here (don't have any German relatives though)

:en: - Since 3rd grade (I was about 8 years old then)

:fr: - Since 8th grade (that was some 3 years ago)

:va: (Latin) - well, I can easily read and translate and stuff, however I really want to learn speaking Latin one day :lol:

:se: - tiny bits, I started learning it about half a year ago :lol:

greece

:gr:-Native language
:uk:-I learn for 6 years since I was 7
:ru:-I don't speak them perfect but I can understand some things.I also can read them.
:fr:-I study for 2 years in the school but we don't do lesson so I know only some things about the grammar
:de:-I had do some lessons for one year in the school but I don't speak good
:az:/:pl:/:rs:/:se:/:al:-I can understand only some words

revallsay

:pl: - my native language
:en: - I studied English in the University and graduated this year
:de: - I speak some German, as I had it in the school and as a second language in the University
:va: (Latin) - I had a year of Latin in the University, I may understand something :D

Bluebird

Here are my linguistic skills:

:nl: Dutch: My native language and mother tongue.
:fr: French: My "second skin". I studied French linguistics and literature at the university and nowadays I'm a French language teacher. I have a very good level but I still want to improve learning expressions and so on. I can't get enough of French! I can explain French much better than my native language. (C2 level)
:se: Swedish: My other passion! I studied Swedish for six years in evening school because I wanted to understand the Swedish songs at the Eurovision Song Contest in the 80's and 90's. (B1-B2 level)
:it: Italian: I studied Italian as a minor language of study. Officially, I can teach Italian too, but nowadays I almost never use Italian any more. (B1-B2 level)
:uk: English: I only studied English at the secondary school. (B1 level)
:dk: Danish: I've been studying Danish for two years now. It's great to understand more and more Danish songs. (A2 level)
:de: German: I studied German for 3 years at the secondary school. I understand almost everything, but speaking is more difficult (A2-B1-level)
:es: Spanish: At university, I took Spanish as my third language (1st = French, 2nd = Italian) and I studied it for one year. I forgot most of it but I'm still able to understand a lot. (A1 level)

Because of my Swedish and Danish skills I can understand Norwegian too, but I never studied that language.
I know some words in :fi: Finnish and :ru: Russian but it's really very very basic knowledge.

Top Bottom