Contact us

Your linguistic skills

IncognitoGH

That's exactly what I was talking about - the right attitude. If you don't let frustration overwhelm you, you make progress.

BTW, does anybody speak :pl: as a foreign language here? :)

I'm interested in learning Polish. Never really got started on it, would like to just have a basic conversational level :)

Nikkita

:tr: - Native

:us: - Half school, half self-taught by MTV and other American shows so i ended up with an American accent. I'd say my level is C1. I can speak and write but when it becomes formal, things can get worse :D

:de: - I've even been in the country but i still struggle in a simple past sentence. Probably it's because i was in Bavaria. It's maximum A2 but it will get better :3

:ru: - Self-learned the alphabet and some basic sentences. I want to learn much more though.

I want to learn :jp: firstly after all these but getting a chance to learn :za: and :pl: would be good.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
:en: Native language
:es: I took 13 years in school and am pretty darn fluent
:de: Pretty solid here
:va: Basic vocabulary, grammatical structures, & dialogue
:mk: I've been trying to learn for a while now and have some limited vocabulary/grammar but am by no means fluent.
:se: I'm thinking about doing a year in Sweden year after next, so learning Swedish would probably be a good idea. English, German, and a few basic words help.
:us: Next on the to-learn list after Swedish is at least one Native American language and/or Samoan.

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
:en: Native speaker
:fr: Thirteen years of speaking it, including studying for a year in Nancy, Lorraine.
Latin: Four years of studying, written five stories in the language. Love it to pieces.
:de: Whatever bits I can occasionally dredge up for eight years ago.
Yorkshire: Native speaker, but I try not to use it as no one else seems to understand, least of all the French.

Have a smattering of Greek and Italian as well, but literally just a few words here and there.

Want to learn:
Scots Gaelic, a French dialect and a Scandinavian language, but realistically don't think I'll ever make the effort to do so!

Carrie

:en: is my native and I know nothing else :lol:

Some day in the very distant future I would like to know :tw:.

Staewi

:de: - native
:va: - had Latin nine years in school, although I can't speak it, translating goes very well. :lol:
:en: - Thanks to this forum I can maintain my English writing level, since I hadn't lessons for three years now. Speaking .. I can speak it, but not very good unfortunately.
:fr: - had one year of French, so I only know basic things
Ancient :gr: - most unnecessary subject you can choose, but as I'm good in Latin it was easy to get good marks there. :lol: I wish I would have chosen Russian instead though.

Languages I want to learn in the future are Portuguese and Russian. xbow

GermanBango

:de: - native
:en: - I would say I'm not bad (got 13 out of 15 points in average on my school leaving certificate). :lol: It took me 12 years in school with a lot of very strict teachers to come that far... but what shall I say? I always loved the English language and that's why I'm gonna start studying it very soon ;)
:fr: - 3 f**king years ... Everyone keeps saying that French sounds soooo beautiful but when I try, it sounds more like a dustbin having hiccups. Never wanted to learn it but I had to. (We were able to choose between Spanish and French actually ... unfortunately the Spanish teacher was a sadistic monster)
:se: - currently learning this one. It's quite similar to German which makes it easier to learn for me. Gonna attend some Swedish courses at the university soon :)

I love learning new languages (oh maybe not French) and I've always been quite good in using them. There are a few more I want to learn ... like :ru: and :es:

No Name

:dk: native

:uk: pretty much fluent

:rs::hr::ba: studying the Balkans on (soon) 3rd semester on University of Copenhagen I know how to get by in serbian/croatian/bosnian. I can read and understand most things but speaking is a different matter as the grammar can be brutal. Hopefully will be able to add it to my list of fluent languages soon. We learn all the different dialects so I know how to distinguish them from each other.

I've been through German and Spanish in elementary but it's been way too long since I've used or practiced any of them, so I don't consider myself speaking those languages. Would probably be easy for me to pick up again though.

Cozzy

:it: - native

:en: - I'm still studying it. It's one of my favourite languages, I'd like to speak it fluently

:fr: - I had studied it for three years at school. I just know the basic rules.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Update! :D

Speak
:se: Swedish - Native speaker.
:us: English - Fluent. Started learning it when I was 10 years old, 20 years ago. I chose the US flag, since my English is mainly influenced by American English, both in speech and in writing.
:es: Spanish - Intermediate. Studied it back in school for several years.
:de: German - Beginner/intermediate. I understand more than I can speak, but I could still get around fairly well.
:is: Icelandic - Beginner/intermediate. Picked it up simply by listening to Icelandic people. My speech is therefore more comprehensive than my writing as a result.

Understand
:no: Norwegian - I understand Norwegian almost perfectly, due to my being Swedish.
:dk: Danish - Written Danish is really easy to understand and I tend to have very few problems there, but spoken Danish is a nightmare to understand.
:nl: Dutch - Since I know English, some German and have such an extensive grasp of the Scandinavian languages, Dutch is fairly easy to understand in written form.
:fo: Faroese - Since I am Scandinavian, but mostly thanks to my knowing some Icelandic, Faroese is also fairly easy to understand.
:fr: :it: :pt: :ro: Romance languages - Since I know some Spanish, I can understand these languages to a certain extent, but I might not get the gist of it. Meaning, I might understand words here and there, or even most words in a sentence, but I still might not understand what the sentence means.

+
:fi: Finnish - Beginner. I'm currently studying it at uni. It's very hard in terms of grammar and vocabulary, but I'm still enjoying it immensely.

Minä olen Anna ja suomi on mahtava! :D

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
:en: English - native
:ru: :de: Doing Russian and German as my university course!

lilka

This girl is 8 years old, and she already speaks 8 foreign languages ! (English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Turkish, Russian, Bulgarian)
She says that her dream is to learn soon Portugeese & Swedish ! :eek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnLr5Jgpfao

Hell no! Unbelievable! :eek: Now that's a challenge!
No idea though if I'll ever be able to learn any language like I learnt Greek, because Greek is definitely my favourite one xheart

Nikkita

:tr: - Native

:us: - Half school, half self-taught by MTV and other American shows so i ended up with an American accent. I'd say my level is C1. I can speak and write but when it becomes formal, things can get worse :D

:de: - I've even been in the country but i still struggle in a simple past sentence. Probably it's because i was in Bavaria. It's maximum A2 but it will get better :3

:ru: - Self-learned the alphabet and some basic sentences. I want to learn much more though.

Update! I'm teaching myself ::na (Mandarin) and :es: since last summer. 你好! Hola, yo soy Nikki, que tal? :lol: Also my "formal English skills" improved since it's my sophomore year in English Literature.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
:en: Native language
:es: I took 13 years in school and am pretty darn fluent
:de: Pretty solid here
:va: Basic vocabulary, grammatical structures, & dialogue
:mk: I've been trying to learn for a while now and have some limited vocabulary/grammar but am by no means fluent.
:se: I'm thinking about doing a year in Sweden year after next, so learning Swedish would probably be a good idea. English, German, and a few basic words help.
:us: Next on the to-learn list after Swedish is at least one Native American language and/or Samoan.

Update! ::atti (didn't really know how else to symbolize Attic Greek) - I'm very, very much a beginner but am currently taking a course in the language.

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
:en: Native speaker
:fr: Thirteen years of speaking it, including studying for a year in Nancy, Lorraine.
Latin: Four years of studying, written five stories in the language. Love it to pieces.
:de: Whatever bits I can occasionally dredge up for eight years ago.
Yorkshire: Native speaker, but I try not to use it as no one else seems to understand, least of all the French.

Have a smattering of Greek and Italian as well, but literally just a few words here and there.

Want to learn:
Scots Gaelic, a French dialect and a Scandinavian language, but realistically don't think I'll ever make the effort to do so!

[MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION] has reminded me to update this, so I shall!

:sc: I have started a nightclass in Gaelic! Utterly crazy language, so I am loving every second! :D So one from the wishlist!

hijirio

Veteran
:tr: Native, been exposed to it since forever :D
:en: It's my 3rd year at the department of translation studies (between English and Turkish), so I can say I am quite competent in English.
:jp: Have been learning upper intermediate Japanese at university for 3 years. I feel myself confident in this language, can talk with a Japanese person about almost anything without problem. :D But there's a huuuuge problem with writing and reading (because of kanji)
:fr: Somehow I have this feeling that I'll never be completely fluent in this language but I take intermediate classes at university. I can speak and write properly but I have some problems with understanding what's spoken.

Top Bottom