Contact us

Your linguistic skills

Sammy

Veteran
:at: / :de: / :ch: my native language. Austrian is not really a independent language, but there are different words and expressions. i quite well understand the swiss german (very very strong accent. Some linguists consider it even a language of its own), because I used to work a couple of years near the swiss border. Love the sound of it!

:en: learned at school

:va: had 6 years at School. I just love it! Now even more than then.

:fr: 4 years in school and then studied at university

:es: studied at university and in Spain

:it: i can quite well read and understand italian, but when it comes to speaking I often change into spanish while speaking without quite noticing...

:hr: I took 2 terms of croatian / serbian at university, but I forgot most of it

::na currently learning and it is a lot of fun (especially the characters) I'd consider myself fairly good in reading and writing, speaking and listening is more difficult

:pt: due to my spanish and italian, I can read portuguese and understand the main idea of what is said. But I couldn't speak.
:nl: i can get the basic message of a written text, when its spoken i really have to concentrate. No active competence
:hu: / :ru: I know some words and expressions

ShoeFlo

I'm amazed about your linguistic skills :eek:
I don't know anybody in my environment who speaks more than 3 languages (including German), but some users here have a downright list of languages :lol:
However:

:de: of course :D

:en: have learned it since I was 8 and improved it through Internet (video, reports, video games and so on). I'm on a satisfying level :)

:es: ¡Dios mío! I have learned it for 6 years I think, but up to now the result is very meh... I can make basic conversations, my comprehension is alright, my grammatic too.. but some things are difficult for me, especially the difference between Indefinido and Imperfecto

:it: I decided to start learning Italian some months ago, because it's my fatherland and I wanna be able to speak to my cousins.
My vocabulary gets better and better (I benefit from my spanish knowledge), I know the most important grammatical rules.. of course my level is still low, but I'm sure that my Italian skills soon will be better than my Spanish skills

languages I wanna learn in future:

:tr: interesting language and almost the second official language in Germany :mrgreen: would be nice to understand everything what the people on street talking about

:is: great language, I love the country, but it's sooo difficult :( It will be a hard challenge

ayzelto

9asr35.jpg
and :es:. My native languages. I couldn't find any flag from Catalonia here so I had to upload it myself. That's why the difference in size :D

:uk: At school, since I was a child (as everybody here I guess). I took extra lessons as well.
:fr: I started to learn it when I was 12. 4 years at high school, and 3 at university. It's still very difficult to speak and write it the way I would like to. Many exceptions. B1 more or less.

:it: I started to learn it when I started to work as a recepcionist. It's very similar to both Spanish and Catalan, so I think it's at the same level as French nowadays.

I can also understand :pt:, but I can't speak it yet.

I took 2 years of :de: as well, but my level is too basic to say that I have a kind of level.

And finally, 2 months ago I started to learn some :nl:. The next year I want to move there for a period of time.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Speak
:se: Swedish - Native speaker.
:us: English - Fluent. Started learning it when I was 10 years old, 20 years ago. I chose the US flag, since my English is mainly influenced by American English, both in speech and in writing.
:es: Spanish - Intermediate. Studied it back in school for several years.
:de: German - Beginner/intermediate. I understand more than I can speak, but I could still get around fairly well.
:is: Icelandic - Beginner/intermediate. Picked it up simply by listening to Icelandic people. My speech is therefore more comprehensive than my writing as a result.
:fi: Finnish - Beginner. I'm currently studying it at uni.

Understand
:no: Norwegian - I understand Norwegian almost perfectly, due to my being Swedish.
:dk: Danish - Written Danish is really easy to understand and I tend to have very few problems there, but spoken Danish is a nightmare to understand.
:nl: Dutch - Since I know English, some German and have such an extensive grasp of the Scandinavian languages, Dutch is fairly easy to understand in written form.
:fo: Faroese - Since I am Scandinavian, but mostly thanks to my knowing some Icelandic, Faroese is also fairly easy to understand.
:fr: :it: :pt: :ro: Romance languages - Since I know some Spanish, I can understand these languages to a certain extent, but I might not get the gist of it. Meaning, I might understand words here and there, or even most words in a sentence, but I still might not understand what the sentence means.

Celia

:es: My native language.
:en: C1, and British accent according to my teacher :lol:
:fr: I'm somewhere between B2 and C1, although I've lost a bit of fluency when speaking.
:it: B1, I've been studying it for a year and a half now (I rely too much on the likeness between :it: and :es: though :lol:)
:de: I only understand the very basic stuff, studied it for a year. I'm looking forward to take it up once and for all.
:pt: I can't speak it but due to its similarity to Spanish I understand lots of things.

JamieBrown

:de: - as my native language
:uk: - Fluent
:es: - It was better, when I was in school.
:fr: - I could only understand a few words.
:se: - Beginner. Have to continue.

There are many more languages I want to learn, like :is:, :tr: and maybe :il:, but I think I have to level-up the other languages before starting with something new :D

theCONWEL

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
:en: - Native.
:fr: - Got a B grade in my GCSE and now I'm doing A Level so my French is quite strong.
:es: - Know some words, learnt it for a year when I was in year nine, but dropped it quickly.
:it: - Beginner, started to learn it two/three months ago.
:se: - VERY beginner, only know the very basics so far.

I want to try and learn as many languages as possible, and being an esc fan is definitely sparking my interest :D

wyq614

Beijing, China (Hometown: Qingdao, China)
::na Native

:en: This is a language that a student from 10 years old is obliged to learn, and the excessive importance of the language in exams has become a controversial topic in Chinese society. I like English anyway, and used to speak it very well, but after I entered the university and started Spanish learning, the professors don't encourage English study anymore, fearing that her student may get confused and come to use a mixed language, and English become rarely used in our lives, so my English ability got much weaker.

:es: My university major and I learned it for 4 years and I'm still using it for my work. I was not a very good student but I can write pretty well and make conversations, communicating with Spanish speaking countries, but sometimes I feel that my vocabulary is not enough for my work and my life here in Cuba.

:pt: I can understand something mainly because of the similarity between Portuguese and Spanish language, and the other reason is that I like Emanuel's Pimba songs very well and listen to his several albums (I'm not sure whether this Emanuel is the very Emanuel that has been lyricist of Suzy's ESC entry). But I can't speak it. Many of my classmates in the university has started learning Portuguese systematically aiming at develop their companies' projects in Brazil, Angola, etc. If I have time I'd like to try it, too.

:fr: This is the "secunde langue etrangere" that I selected in the university when I was a sophomore, but unfortunately, after having learned the pronunciation and something very simple, I was sent to Cuba to study in late 2008 and have to drop my French class. In fact, the longest French sentence I can say is "I learn French as a second language"...

:de::ru: Can only greet people and say thanks in these two languages. Once I could count from 1 to 10 in German but it seems I have forgot ...

IncognitoGH

:uk: Native

:de: Got my A level in german - But rarely ever use it.

:se: I can understand things in context, can form sentences and also read a bit. My girlfriend is Swedish so I get free help from her!

:sk: Learning this from scratch! I am finding it so difficult, but a challenge is good for the brain.

:it: Basics

:rs: Basics

:ru: Basics

ShoeFlo

I'm amazed about your linguistic skills :eek:
I don't know anybody in my environment who speaks more than 3 languages (including German), but some users here have a downright list of languages :lol:
However:

:de: of course :D

:en: have learned it since I was 8 and improved it through Internet (video, reports, video games and so on). I'm on a satisfying level :)

:es: ¡Dios mío! I have learned it for 6 years I think, but up to now the result is very meh... I can make basic conversations, my comprehension is alright, my grammatic too.. but some things are difficult for me, especially the difference between Indefinido and Imperfecto

:it: I decided to start learning Italian some months ago, because it's my fatherland and I wanna be able to speak to my cousins.
My vocabulary gets better and better (I benefit from my spanish knowledge), I know the most important grammatical rules.. of course my level is still low, but I'm sure that my Italian skills soon will be better than my Spanish skills

languages I wanna learn in future:

:tr: interesting language and almost the second official language in Germany :mrgreen: would be nice to understand everything what the people on street talking about

:is: great language, I love the country, but it's sooo difficult :( It will be a hard challenge

meanwhile I started learning Swedish and I already make decent progress... up to now it seems to be a very easy language :D

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Well Zdob si Zdub got me interested in this language and I just think it's really nice. I use instead of because every Romanian I meet tells me I have a Moldovan accent, probably due to the Zdubii

There is no moldovan language, you know ^^

chokladplopp

:se: Native

:dk: :no: Understand it (however not much of oral Danish)

:en: Almost fluent

:fr: Can understand texts with advanced language, but have difficulties with oral conversations. Going to France a few weeks next fall to learn more.

Leaphar

:pl: - Native
:en: - I've been learning English since three or four years now. It's the foreign language that I know the most, but I do mistakes while I speak or write. I try to improve my abilities.
:de: - I started learning German when I attented primary school. However, it is difficult language to me and I don't know much. Nevertheless, I would like to speak German fluently.
:se: - I would like to learn Swedish because I love this language. I started learning it yet, but I have little time to repeat vocabulary.

EscGeek

Veteran
:sl: duuuuh
:en: I have straight a's (5's) :cool:
:hr: :ba: :rs: :me: understand a lot of it,can't tell the difference between them:lol:

If i had to learn one more language,it would be :it: or :es:

Top Bottom