Contact us

Your favourite quotes from fiction

Celia

I love reading quotes :D so I thought it'd be nice to have a thread to share our favourite ones, be it from a book, a film, a tv-show...it doesn't have to be super special or super deep, just something you highlighted or wrote down because for some reason you liked it :p
Shall we write the title first? So that people can avoid spoilers easily. Here are some of the quotes I like :p

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

"Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." - Hermione

"The truth." Dumbledore sighed. "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."

"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends." - Dumbledore

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

"We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are." - Sirius

Lolita

"Why did I hope we would be happy abroad? A change of environment is the traditional fallacy upon which doomed loves, and lungs, rely" - Humbert

If I've overlooked a similar thread or you just don't fancy the idea then let it sink in the depths of oblivion xcrazy

ShoeFlo

When discussing about movie quotes, one movie of course may not be forgotten:

Pulp Fiction

Jules: What does Marsellus Wallace look like?
Brett: What?
Jules: What country are you from?
Brett: What? What? Wh - ?
Jules: "What" ain't no country I've ever heard of. They speak English in What?
Jules: English, motherfucker, do you speak it?
Brett: Yes! Yes!
Jules: Then you know what I'm sayin'!
Brett: Yes!
Jules: Describe what Marsellus Wallace looks like!
Jules: Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say what one more Goddamn time!

Jules: The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you.

Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just shut the **** up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence.

I'm gonna give quotes from other movies I like another time

there are so many legendary ones

EscGeek

Veteran
"Security found him.He was doing white snow with Snow White." - Berta from Two and a half men about Charlie :lol::lol:

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Doctor Who

“Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.”

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!”

“This is who I am, right here, right now, all right? All that counts is here and now, and this is me!”

“Everybody knows that everybody dies. But not every day. Not today. Some days are special. Some days are so, so blessed. Some days, nobody dies at all. Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and the Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.”

"Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame."

“Come on, Rory! It isn't rocket science, it's just quantum physics!“

“The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”

Game of Thrones

“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.” “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”
“When you play a game of thrones you win or you die.”

“There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man.”

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”

“You're mine," she whispered. "Mine, as I'm yours. And if we die, we die. All men must die, Jon Snow. But first, we'll live.”

The Hunger Games

“I wish I could freeze this moment, right here, right now and live in it forever.” “It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”

“Fire is catching! And if we burn, you burn with us!”

Divergent

“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”

“People, I have discovered, are layers and layers of secrets. You believe you know them, that you understand them, but their motives are always hidden from you, buried in their own hearts. You will never know them, but sometimes you decide to trust them.”

Lord of the Rings

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

“War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

“What do you fear, lady?" [Aragorn] asked.
"A cage," [Éowyn] said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”

...Okay, I have too many :lol:

EscGeek

Veteran
Homer: Son, one day you're gonna be a great father.
Bart: Awww, and someday you will be one, too.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
*reviving this thread 'cause why not*

“In a war, the first casualty is human dignity.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Spy

Seok-jin

“Let the self judge the right and the wrongs, let others decide to praise or to blame and let the losses and gains remain uncommented on.” —Wei Wu Xian (The Untamed)

Looren

Veteran
Harry Potter and the death reliques part 2 (I don't really know the English name mdr) :

Severus Rogues : "Always"

The Flash :

H.R. Wells : "It's only a goodbye"

heke1988

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

“I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo. “So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Sammy

Veteran
Thirty-five is a very attractive age. London society is full of women of the very highest birth who have, of their own free choice, remained thirty-five for years.
(Oscar Wilde: The importance of being earnest)

Top Bottom