Contact us

Your favorite music of 2015

EscGeek

Veteran
2015 is coming to an end,and I'd like to know what new songs did you enjoy the most? Let's see how many of them we can recognize

Here are mine: xcheers

xmusic

DaFlo

Banned
So many hits in your list xheat you should join Worldvision like... soon.. in the near future.. or basically RIGHT NOW! xchicken

gonna post my top ranking of 2015 later :D

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Album of the Year

homepage_large.7ffc33d9.jpg

1. Mikal Cronin - MCIII

One of my most anticipated releases of the year and it certainly didn't disappoint. Mikal Cronin's sincerity and his warmth help to set him apart from all the other Garage Rockers. His music takes you up and it takes you down, and even when you're up there is always something holding onto you, almost trying to drag you back down. "MCIII" is a magnificent record from start to finish.

Kurt_Vile-2015-Blieve_im_goin_down_art_hi-res-300x300.jpg

2. Kurt Vile - b'lieve i'm goin down...​

Lead single and album opener "Pretty Pimpin" is a bit of a red herring in regards to what to expect from Kurt Vile's latest release. Besides a couple of earlier songs on the tracklist, this is for sure one of Kurt Vile's most laid back and intimate records to date. It almost could have been recorded on his couch, he's that close up to you. I love all of Kurt's records but this is for sure up there with the very best of them. He's the king of Slacker Rock.

143.jpg

3. Michael Rault - Living Daylight

This Canadian Psychedelic Pop Rocker has gotta be my favourite artist discovery of the year. The at times fuzzy "Living Daylight" sounds like a lost gem from years ago. There's clearly something in the water in Canada.

R-6769959-1426263084-8986.jpeg.jpg

4. Bill Fay - Who Is The Sender?

A spellbinding release from the cult Progressive Folk artist, who after over 40 years without releasing music, made a comeback in 2012. His latest album is a heart-rending, highly spiritual collection of songs. Fragile but at moments grand. A very special record.

MTA_LARGE.jpg

5. The Unthanks - Mount The Air

This record see's my favourite Folk band take a quite different approach, the Northumbrian Chamber Folk lasses this time dipping their toes into Prog Rock territory. A glorious triumph.

1HRUo7Y.png

6. Melody Gardot - Currency Of Man​

Melody lost me a bit on her prior release to this one, in which she dabbled in Bossa Nova. She's got me right back for this one though. "Currency Of Man" is funky and has got bite, and for the second half of the record the melancholic Melody I fell in love with returns.

ct-228-mac-ep-cover_1400_custom-b44a6e01fecc8ef306901df4abd325ec0f0afdaa-s300-c85.jpg

7. Mac DeMarco - Another One

The Rihanna of Indie Rock. Mac's only been going since 2012 and already he's on album number five. "Another One" is one of two Mac releases from 2015. The Canadian goofball slacker this time taking things back to basics with a collection of unmistakably "Mac" songs he recorded at his New York home between tour dates.

Xq8C1Wy.png

8. Miss Chiff - Bloom Later, The Mischievous Memoirs

The lastest mini album release from one of Chicago's most hella on point lyricists, the one and only Miss Chiff. Her finest collection of songs to date. Sensitive, strong and sassy. Gotta love her. Her flow is incredible.

homepage_large.f4fa6737.jpg

9. Jackson Scott - Sunshine Redux

Get ready for a whacked out musical journey with this one. The trippy, warped, psychedelic pop Jackson Scott does is very much an acquired taste, as are his high, twisted child like vocals. In ways this second release even tops his incredible debut "Melbourne".

john-grant-grey-tickles-black-pressure-lst186372.jpg

10. John Grant - Grey Tickles, Black Pressure

I'll admit, I haven't spent as much time with this John Grant album as the others here, but it was love on first listen when I picked this up recently, so i've gotta at least include it here. I found his previous electronic focused release difficult to warm to, but this new album is a meeting in the middle of that side of him and his gorgeous Chamber Pop songs which is the style of music he was doing when I first fell in love with him.

Note: I haven't listened to Rona Nishliu's debut album yet.... so.....:rolleyes:

Song of the Year

1. Mikal Cronin - I've Been Loved

This song envelops me as I listen to it. Quite possibly one of the most forward and overwhelming pieces of emotional music i've ever listened to. Lyrically it kills me. "I've loved, I've been lost, I've been locked inside my mind. I can feel when it's real and it's been with me all this time. I've been lucky enough to find love of a different kind" he cries with his thin but incredibly sensitive voice on the songs powerful chorus. Then there's the little painful whistles at the end. The whole thing is just too much for me. This is gonna be one of my favourite songs for life I think. I'm haunted by this song.

2. Kurt Vile - Pretty Pimpin

This may be a little hard to understand but I was actually gobsmacked the first time I heard this Kurt Vile single. I've been listening to the man for years now and never has he had a song this up front vocally and infectious. Kurt's called this his "pop jam" and he's not half right. He almost spits out the words in the verses. The closest we'll probably ever get to Kurt Vile rapping.

3. Lauren Harries - All Dressed Up

Finally it was released! The song that Welsh icon and eccentric national treasure Lauren Harries penned during her memorable stay at the Celebrity Big Brother house landed in the year 2015, and it was everything I hoped for as well. The poignant piece tells the story of Lauren's relationship a few years back with Russell Brand, and how he used her, essentially not wanting to be seen out with Lauren. This Mark Ronson-esque jam is poignant, sassy, bittersweet and tragic. Lauren shines and it's clear who missed out in the end.

4. Mikal Cronin - vi) Circle
5. Mikal Cronin - v) Different
6. Ala.ni - Darkness At Noon
7. Melody Gardot - If Ever I recall Your Face
8. Donna Burke - Sins of the Father
9. The Unthanks - Died For Love
10. Bill Fay - Underneath The Sun
11. Michael Rault - Lovers Lie
12. Stefanie Joosten - Quiet's Theme
13. Kurt Vile - Stand Inside
14. Kelly Mantle - Keyboard Courage
15. Miss Chiff - 10.0
16. Mikal Cronin - Say
17. Kurt Vile - Dust Bunnies
18. Joanna Newsom - Sapokanikan
19. Kurt Vile - Lost My Head There
20. Melody Gardot - Once I Was Loved
21. Bill Fay - The Geese Are Flying Westward
22. The Unthanks - Hawthorn
23. Maria Christina - That's What It's All About
24. Mac DeMarco - No Other Heart
25. Kurt Vile - Life Like This
26. Miss Chiff - Toxic Relationships
27. Seth Bogart - Eating Makeup (Feat. Kathleen Hanna)
28. La Lenguas - 9 to 5
29. Michael Rault - Lost Something
30. Jackson Scott - Save The World
31. Daniel Romano - I'm Gonna Teach You
32. Clarence Clarity - Meadow Hopping, Traffic Stopping, Death Splash
33.Calypso - Diablo Grins
34. Miss Fame - Miss Fame (Feat. Alaska Thunderfuck)
35. KDA - Turn The Music Louder (Rumble) ft. Tinie Tempah, Katy B
36. Mac DeMarco - Young Coconut
37. Shannon and the Clams - Corvette
38. Sufjan Stevens - No Shade In The Shadow Of The Cross
39. Soap&Skin - Mawal Jamar
40. Jimmy Whispers - Vacation​

In truth, i've not been very good with listening to new releases this year, pretty much only checking out the latest stuff from artists I already loved. 2015 has seen me more searching out for old stuff. This is the year I fell in love with Ariel Pink. I did listen to him previously a small bit but I became besotted in 2015, and he's been by far my most played artist of the year. I discovered the wonderful world of Todd Rundgren, continued my fascination with The Velvet Underground and all associated artists (Nico, John Cale, Moe Tucker, Lou Reed), really got into rap music with Dessa, got weak at knees (again) for Kurt Vile and just generally went nuts for Mikal Cronin. Oh and Garage Rock, Psychedelic Rock/Pop and Lo-fi music was very much "in" for me this yearxheat

Carrie

[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] seeing Miss Fame, Alaska and Kelly in that chart makes me happy xheart

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] seeing Miss Fame, Alaska and Kelly in that chart makes me happy xheart

Yeah, those two Queens have released some fantastic musicxheart Miss Fame's music is just quality pop, and i'm so surprised and in love with Kelly Mantle's "Keyboard Courage". It may just be my favourite drag song ever. Such infectious synth pop and the lyrics are killer. The bit at the end where she reads out her hate messages from trollsxfaint So fierce. The funny thing is I think I actually recall reading some of those disgusting messages left on her previous videos. She really has just slayed all the trolls with this jam. I adore Kelly Mantle!!!

DaFlo

Banned
After a hot and very hip live show, here is my Top 50 of 2015 :cool: xheat

theCONWEL

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
MY TOP 50

1. :au: Delta Goodrem - Wings
2. :us: Tamar Braxton - King
3. :us::ca::uk: G.R.L. - Lighthouse
4. :au::cu: Samantha Jade ft. Pitbull - Shake That
5. :us: Demi Lovato - Cool for the Summer
6. :se: Awa - Obvious
7. :se: Molly Pettersson Hammar - I'll Be Fine
8. :uk: Jess Glynne - Don't Be So Hard On Yourself
9. :us: Tamar Braxton - Angels & Demons
10. :au: Jessica Mauboy - This Ain't Love
11. :se: Zara Larsson - Lush Life
12. :no: Susanne Sundfør - Delirious
13. :us: Pia Mia ft. Tyga & Chris Brown - Do It Again
14. :us: Fifth Harmony ft. Kid Ink - Worth It
15. :uk: Fleur East - Sax
16. :uk: FEMME - S.O.S.
17. :pt: Leonor Andrade - Já Conheci
18. :us: Hailee Steinfeld - Love Myself
19. :au: Caitlyn Shadbolt - Maps Out The Window
20. :fr: Vitaa - Vivre
21. :uk: KDA ft. Tinie Tempah & Katy B - Turn the Music Louder (Rumble)
22. :se: Evelina Olsén - Dö för mig
23. :au: TigerLily ft. Nat Dunn - Feel the Love
24. :fi: Ellinoora - Ei hävittävää (AEIOUAO)
25. :pt: Leonor Andrade - Há um mar que nos separa
26. :us: Jordin Sparks - Right Here Right Now
27. :se: Molly Pettersson Hammar - Something Right
28. :se: Dinah Nah - Make Me (La La La)
29. :au: Anja Nissen - Triumph
30. :uk::us:Gareth Emery ft. Alastor & London Thor - Hands
31. :uk: Rita Ora - Poison
32. :us: Ciara - Dance Like We're Making Love
33. :fr: Megan - Sous ma peau
34. :uk: Sinead Harnett - Do It Anyway
35. :us: Morgan James - Call My Name
36. :us: Demi Lovato - Confident
37. :us: Hillary Duff - Sparks
38. :es: Edurne - Amanecer
39. :se: Molly Sandén - Phoenix
40. :uk::se: MNEK & Zara Larsson - Never Forget You
41. :us: Rachel Platten - Fight Song
42. :se: Caroline Wennergren - Black Swan
43. :au: Eves the Behavior - Electrical
44. :es: María Isabel - La vida sólo es una
45. :uk: Alesha Dixon - Tallest Girl
46. :us: Ester Dean - Crazy Youngsters
47. :br: Alice Caymmi - Como Vês
48. :us: Carly Rae Jepsen - I Really Like You
49. :us: Kelly Clarkson - Heartbeat Song
50. :uk: Alesha Dixon - The Way We Are

Honorable mentions:
:no: Karin Park - Human Beings
:uk: Jess Glynne - Hold my Hand
:fr: Zayra - Jamais trop tard

Been a pretty good year musically for me, I discovered Tamar Braxton's music, I found chart music that I could engage with, and I met my idol and number one. One of the biggest musical influences for me this year was joining WorldVision - I don't know why I held back from joining for so long but participating eventually was an awesome decision... there's a few WV songs in my list so thank you to [MENTION=4490]Simon87[/MENTION], [MENTION=5001]FabiESC[/MENTION], [MENTION=15013]Ringdalen[/MENTION], [MENTION=13314]DaFlo[/MENTION], [MENTION=12894]ClassifiedCat[/MENTION], [MENTION=14124]Carrie[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13948]fer20[/MENTION] for those xlove

ALBUMS:

28bgzv5.jpg

1. Tamar Braxton - Calling All Lovers
I'm so so happy that I discovered Tamar this year, this album and her prior one 'Love & War' have been on repeat in my flat. She just oozes sass and fire, but at the same time she can really SANG. The song 'King' is becoming an absolute favourite of mine. HIGHLIGHTS: King, Angels & Demons, Freefallin'

28cej2p.jpg

2. Jess Glynne - I Cry When I Laugh
I've loved Jess since I first heard her vocals on Clean Bandit's 'Rather Be', and I was so excited for her solo material this year. I wasn't disappointed - this album is just pure pop brilliance, with her own disco-ish vibe which I love! HIGHLIGHTS: Don't Be So Hard On Yourself, Hold My Hand, Take Me Home

jaucdc.jpg

3. Samantha Jade - Nine
Finally! I've been waiting for Samantha to release an album ever since she won X Factor AU in 2012! This album is awesome too, it's just a perfect blend of different types of pop. I love 'Shake That' xheat HIGHLIGHTS: Shake That, Castle, Show Me Love

Carrie

Top 50: 2015

01 :ca: Lights - Same Sea
02 :ca: Alyssa Reid feat. The Heist - Dangerous
03 :us: :ph: Manila Luzon - Slay Bells
04 :tw: :jp: Jolin Tsai feat. Namie Amuro - I'm Not Yours
05 :us: Hilary Duff - Sparks
06 :ca: Serena Ryder - Together We Are One
07 :us: :en: Cash Cash feat. B.O.B, Busta Rhymes & Neon Hitch - Devil
08 :au: Courtney Act - Ugly
09 :ca: Alyssa Reid - Tomorrow
10 :wale: Marina and the Diamonds - I'm A Ruin
11 :au: Courtney Act - From Head To Mistletoe
12 :en: Daisy Victoria - Pain of Dancers
13 :kr: Girls' Generation - Party
14 :tw: Princess ai & A-Lin - Wo Bu Li Kai
15 :us: Hilary Duff - Lies
16 :us: Darienne Lake, Ivy Winters & Pandora Boxx - Christmas Is Coming
17 :us: Rachel Platten - Fight Song
18 :au: Courtney Act - Inhale
19 :us: Rachel Platten - Stand By You
20 :en: Fleur East — Sax
21 :ca: Alyssa Reid - We Are Stars
22 :rs: Seka Aleksic - Crveni Ruz
23 :ca: Carly Rae Jepsen - Run Away With Me
24 :us: Madonna - Ghosttown
25 :ca: Virginia To Vegas - Last Of The Fighters
26 :rs: Luke Black - Thorns
27 :au: Courtney Act - Boys Like Me
28 :rs: Luke Black - D-Generation
29 :ca: Alyssa Reid - Tomorrow (Acoustic)
30 :us: Lana Del Rey - Young And Beautiful
31 :en: Rae Morris - Under The Shadows
32 :us: Lana Del Rey - High By The Beach
33 :us: Hilary Duff - My Kind
34 :us: Jinkx Monsoon - Red & Green
35 :ca: Alyssa Reid - Beautiful
36 :ca: Alyssa Reid - Phoenix
37 :us: Janet Jackson - No Sleeep
38 :en: Neon Hitch - Sparks
39 :rs: Luke Black - Holding On To Love
40 :kr: Taeyeon feat. Verbal Jint - I
41 :us: RuPaul - Christmas Cookies
42 :us: RuPaul feat. Siedah Garrett - Brand New Year
43 :ca: Carly Rae Jepsen - I Really Like You
44 :us: Ivy Levan - 27 Club
45 :us: :au: The AAA Girls - Christmas Sweater
46 :us: Ivy Levan - Biscuit
47 :us: Meghan Trainor - Dear Future Husband
48 :us: Hilary Duff - Breathe In. Breathe Out.
49 :ca: Faouzia - Knock On My Door
50 :us: Phi Phi O'hara - Naughty or Nice

Album Of The Year

Alyssa-Reid-Phoenix-Cover-Artwork-1.3MB-709x674.jpg

01. ALYSSA REID - Phoenix

It's no surprise Alyssa's third studio album has won the album of the year from me. She wanted to focus on the meaning of the lyrics and the vocals this time; and if I say so myself, she did so amazingly.

Song Of The Year

Lights-Same-Sea-2015.png

01. LIGHTS - Same Sea

Lights has been one of my favourite artists for so long now: her song 'Same Sea' is a great representation of her entire electro-pop discography. There is also an interesting lyrical content with it too: I love it.

doctormalisimo

Very rough list - impossible to sort and I'm sure I've left somethings out

:za: Al Bairre - Bungalow
:us: Ampersand - With You
:us: AudioDamn! - Lights Out
:be: Balthazar - Bunker
:us: Banners - Shine A Light
:uk: Beans On Toast - New Orleans Honeymoon
:ge: The BearFox - Song of Lonely Hopes
:ie: Bohemian - Strong
:uk: Coasts - Modern Love
:us: Cold War Kids - First
:us: Dollys - I Know
:us: Dollys - Imitator
:ec: Draco and the Zodiac - Twenty Six
:us: :uk: Du Blonde feat. Samuel T. Herring - Mind Is On My Mind
:ie: EDEN - Wake Up
:uk: Findlay - Wolfback
:uk: Gengahr - Heroine
:uk: Haiku Salut - Bleak and Beatiful
:au: Hollow Coves - The Woods
:uk: Jack Garratt - The Love Youre Given
:uk: Jamie xx feat. Romy - Loud Places
:uk: Matt Woods - Leaning Towers
:us: Mercury Rev - The Queen of Swans
:uk: MR TC - Hebrew House
:es: The New Raemon - Reina del Amazonas
:us: Night Riots - Contagious
:fr: odezenne - Bouche à lèvres
:at: Parov Stelar feat. Timothy Auld - Hooked On You
:se: Postiljonen - Go!
:uk: Public Service Broadcasting - Gagarin
:uk: Public Service Broadcasting - Go!
:us: San Fermin - Jackrabbit
:us: Sleeping Woods - Demons At The Door
:us: Tribe Society - Kings
:au: Vance Joy - Fire and the Flood
:dk: VOLA - Gutter Moon
:uk: Waylayers - Sleepwalking
:us: Woolf and the Wondershow - Cloaked
:uk: Zibra - Chlorine

Album of the year:
5a594870-3834-0132-b71f-6249a9c8222f-large.jpg

MyHeartIsYours

For me 2015 has been an AWFUL year for music, I honestly can't think of a single song I've loved :lol: The closest I've come to loving a song this year is One Direction "Drag Me Down". In 2015 my music has been living in a time warp set back a few years ago when there was actually good music :p

A-lister

Veteran
Not sure what I think about 2015 as a music year, but atleast here are the albums that caught my attention:

2wmdw0h.jpg

^Atleast the ones on the first row (from left to right) are pretty brilliant, Lana Del Rey especially being in a league of her own releasing her strongest output yet.

2016 is looking pretty exciting though with upcoming releases by Sky Ferreira and Rihanna in particular.

Top Bottom