Contact us

Yorkshire & The Humber

Fierro

Re: YORKSHIRE: WV105: Broad Acres NF

Sorry Robert, I think this is not for me. If it were four different artists, I'd probably vote but in this case songs despite being nice still sound almost identic to me.

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV105: Broad Acres NF

Sorry Robert, I think this is not for me. If it were four different artists, I'd probably vote but in this case songs despite being nice still sound almost identic to me.

No worries! I'll just take it as 8 for each entry ;) Thanks for listening though! :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV105: Broad Acres NF - DDL: 16/02 @2359CET

Deadline is 16/02 @ 2359CET for anyone planning on voting :)

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Thanks to :fi: ::hamb and ::mida for voting xcheer With basically one day left, here are the standings :D

One song basically out of the running, but any of the top three could take it! :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Thanks to everyone who voted in my NF :D Seven voters in the end so no more score updates otherwise James will work out which wan won :p

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV105: Mike Donald - "Whitby Smugglers"

WV105: Mike Donald - "Whitby Smugglers"

https://soundcloud.com/user-150608895%2Fwhitby-smugglers

Thanks to everyone who voted in my NF for helping me selecting which track to send from the wonderful Mike Donald! :D Whitby Smugglers was strong from the beginning and only one person didn't have it in their top two songs, so I think it was a fairly safe winner!

The song is from the perspective of an old Whitby smuggler describing the life that he led and the perils and joys of smuggling from the port. The 18th Century saw the height of smuggling as people tried to avoid the high taxes the government placed on various luxuries such as tea and brandy. Pretty much every coastline saw people turning their hands to smuggling to try and make a bit of extra money and the Yorkshire Coast was certainly no exception! Hope you enjoy this song xlove

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV106: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Fanfare For The Common Man

WV106: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Fanfare For The Common Man

So I have another NF planned, but didn't want to have two in a row, so instead did some digging around to find something else that falls into the "wait, that's from Yorkshire?" category! I am sure many of you will be familiar with "Fanfare For The Common Man" as Copland's slightly more classical piece, but this is actually Copland-approved, so I hope you will also enjoy it! I decided against the full nine-minute version because I feel that the three minute one does a great job of encapsulating all the elements of the piece. Hope you enjoy it and get your bodies ready for an NF that I have had planned for years next edition too xcheer

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV107: Jane McDonald - Dance Yourself Dizzy

WV107: Jane McDonald - Dance Yourself Dizzy

Firstly an apology! Sorry about not doing the promised NF, but I had a hectic week before going on holiday and I just never found the time, so thought it better to save it for an edition rather than rushing it! NF next edition, I promise :D

But onto this entry, well, you can thank a person whom I shall call by a pseudonym of Mr. Wainy Rods who first brought my attention to this Yorkshire icon! I will admit, I had not actually come across her before, but, through Mr. Rods' intervention, I realised that I had been missing out! She is quite the brilliant singer and this song is filled with an infectious joy that I just had to share it with y'all! The song is actually a cover of a 1980 hit by a group called Liquid Gold, whose only other real claim to fame is that they came second in the 1981 UK selection to a group of randomers called "Bucks Fizz" who went on to win Eurovision that year :p Anyway, hope you enjoy the song and don't Dance Yourselves Dizzy TOO much! ;) xcheer

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV107: Jane McDonald - Dance Yourself Dizzy

I like Mr. Rods taste. What a fab entry. I recall about seventeen years ago trying to twist your arm to send Jane’s version of Ain’t No Mountain High Enough, but this Liquid Gold cover is just as wonderful. I’m gonna make an absolutely scandalous confession as well....... I wish we sent Liquid Gold to Eurovision instead of Bucks Fizz. THERE, I said it. I adore Don’t Panic. I discovered them when looking for UK choices in one of Schlagerman’s games. I love a bit of disco. I believe Jane is married to one of the men from Liquid Gold too (fun fact).

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV108: Kaiser Chiefs NF

WV108 Yorkshire National Final: Kaiser Chiefs

I have had this NF planned for about two years, give or take! I first came across the Kaiser Chiefs about thirteen years ago, but, apart from enjoying "Ruby" on Guitar Hero with my younger brother in the early 2010s, they only really returned to my life when WV planning. I found that their new music was taking them in quite the interesting direction, so started listening around a bit more! This NF, consequently, has quite a lot of variety, despite the obvious fact that it's the same group (give or take a drummer!), so I hope you enjoy this dive into the Kaiser Chiefs' songbook!

Without further ado, the songs :D

1. Coming Home

2. Ruby

3. We Stay Together

4. I Predict A Riot

5. Song for Stephanie

Copy/Paste list:

Voting as per usual Lupine method: Any 5 from 12-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1!

Send votes to me, [MENTION=14505]Lupus[/MENTION], by 23 CE(S)T on 28th April! :D

Thanks for voting xcheer

Eulaliya

:lt: has voted, a quite awesome NF with a new band to discover! xheart

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

:lt: has voted, a quite awesome NF with a new band to discover! xheart

gosh, mind blown that you don't know the Kaiser Chiefs. :lol: I guess it's not that shocking.

I wondered when you'd send them considering your back up since day dot. I've voted. ;)

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

I wondered when you'd send them considering your back up since day dot. I've voted. ;)

Hey, spoilers!! :p I knew I wouldn't have any problems with their eligibility so a sensible backup I thought!!

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Thanks to :cy: :lt: and :gr: for their votes :D A clear favourite has already emerged!

Wondering if I should rename this the Gay Icons Kaiser Chiefs Battle of the Decades to get a few more voters :p

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

I've had four amazing voters so far but, like any true WV NF host, I WANT MOREEEEE so time for everyone's favourite #mentionspam

To those whose NFs I have voted in for WV108: [MENTION=12848]MARCOMEN[/MENTION] [MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION]
To those whose NFs I have voted in since WV80something: [MENTION=11243]ZoboCamel[/MENTION] [MENTION=14451]ferret[/MENTION] [MENTION=12992]Fierro[/MENTION] [MENTION=12510]esc87fan[/MENTION] [MENTION=15700]JSSArcos[/MENTION] [MENTION=10742]daniels1000[/MENTION]
To those who used to vote in my NFs when I had them: [MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION] [MENTION=10140]cegs5[/MENTION] [MENTION=8763]Gera11[/MENTION] [MENTION=14372]Uvaro[/MENTION]

And to anyone else - a band from the most average town in the UK (as of 2002!) at WV, how can you not want to vote?!! :p

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Thanks to :lb: :hu: and :tw: for their votes :D Here are the standings now xcheer

Two songs are fighting out for the lead here somewhat! Deadline is 28th April @23CE(S)T so I can send the winner in good time so please vote if you've not already done so :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Aaaand that's the deadline passed! Thanks to :au:, :susa: and ::berl for bringing our total to nine and...

I have never had a tie before!!! I was quite taken aback by it, so kinda exciting :p I have chosen my favourite of the top two (so I can only blame myself when it flops) and sent that! Thanks again to all nine voters and hope that you will be mostly happy with my choice :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV108: Kaiser Chiefs - "I Predict A Riot"

WV108: Kaiser Chiefs - "I Predict A Riot"

So thanks again to all my voters in the NF! xlove Interestingly it was the 'classic' Kaiser Chiefs songs which were tied for first in the end, but I went for this as it has been my backup entry since I moved to Yorkshire and it kinda felt wrong to keep it there for yet another edition :p I hope you're happy with the choice and enjoy this entry in Slab City :D

Eulaliya

Re: YORKSHIRE: WV108: Kaiser Chiefs - "I Predict A Riot"

Actually my last in NF ranking, but it's kinda okay tbh as I'm planning to send some of their other songs to other contests soon :)

Top Bottom