Contact us

Yorkshire & The Humber

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV101 - Dame Judi Dench "Send In The Clowns"

They also appear to be from Portsmouth (not in Yorkshire, or even the Humber)! :lol:

EDIT: Seems that Ashley got there just before me!

Well ermm.... xshifty Geography was never my strong point I guess.

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Well ermm.... xshifty Geography was never my strong point I guess.

I found the map you use - I'm not surprised you struggle!

NorthLondonUKStereotypes.png

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Massive Shithole. LMAO Never seen a more accurate label for my town. xrollinglol

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Massive Shithole. LMAO Never seen a more accurate label for my town. xrollinglol

I think it's meant to be Hull judging by the article I took it from err random guesswork.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

I think it's meant to be Hull judging by the article I took it from err random guesswork.

Hull or Grimsby it works, although It's crushingly ironic if it is for Hull and then they mislabel it on the wrong side of the humber.

It reminds me of a fox news video I saw where they labelled London as Leeds and Belgium the middle east. :lol:

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Hull or Grimsby it works, although It's crushingly ironic if it is for Hull and then they mislabel it on the wrong side of the humber.

It reminds me of a fox news video I saw where they labelled London as Leeds and Belgium the middle east. :lol:

https://brilliantmaps.com/north-london-uk-stereotype/

It is Hull; I blame the low resolution :p

But yes, it's quite spectacular. I'm not surprised about Fox News tbh; they're hardly renowned for accuracy!

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV102 - Peter Auty "Walking In The Air"

WV102: Peter Auty - Walking In The Air

So I know we're only just into December, but we can start feeling Christmassy, right? :p I don't know how widespread this song is outside the UK, but here it's part of THE Christmas cartoon - The Snowman! It's always on on Christmas Eve, late afternoon, just when you really want to get into the festive anticipation for presents the following morning. The song was sung by the YORKSHIRE boy soprano, Peter Auty. Now, originally, I thought it was Aled Jones who sang it, and I was actually going to send this last year from Wales, but then I found out that the original, the one sung for the cartoon, was a Yorkshire lad and knew I had to send that version instead! So here we are :D Hope you enjoy this piece as we approach Yuletide and a very early Merry Christmas to all three of you that read this post (or am I being optimistic again? ;) )!!

esc87fan

Oh my God, I love that song! It's one of my dad's very favorite Christmas specials

EurovisionSmile

Veteran

And the last winner from 2018, brought a little warmth and magic into our lives (to all this song's supporters, at least). :D Thanks, Robert, I didn't know this song, I must confess. But its beauty is mesmerizing! xlove

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV103 - John Skilleter "Adagio for Strings"

WV103: John Skilleter "Adagio for Strings"

Wow, a PQ for Yorkshire... This left me totally wrong footed as I had no idea what to send this edition anyway :lol: However, I have long planned on sending this to WV one day and, let's face it, there is no finer opportunity than as a PQ! For those of you who are unaware, John Skilleter is, in fact, my Father. In order to get him to let me use this, I had to explain WorldVision to him... This was an, err, interesting experience :p Fortunately, he seems to trust me somewhat and so I had his permission to send this! :D As to what it is, well I'll let him explain...

"For no particular reason, I decided to see if it was possible to create a modern version of the glass harmonica using a set of wine glasses filled with different amounts of water.

After quickly running out of glasses before I got anywhere near a full chromatic scale, I decided to just use a few glasses and record each note individually. An evening of experimental water slopping thus ensued and I’m slightly surprised that I didn’t manage to drown the Android tablet that I was recording everything on.

Once I’d recorded the notes and tweaked the tuning slightly (I’d forgotten to use even-tempered wine glasses), I went on the hunt for a suitable piece of music to perform with my new instrument. The obviously choice was Samuel Barber’s Adagio for Strings.

The only instruments used to create this were wine glasses, water and multi-tracking software on the computer. No alcohol was harmed in the making of this performance."

I know it's an utterly ridiculous version of a contemporary classical, err, classic, but when you've won WV with your home region, you really have to make it as personal as possible when hosting, so I hope you enjoy this and are having a great time here in YORKSHIRE! xlove xlove

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV104: Well how do you follow THAT??

So for WV104, I, to be honest, have been a little remiss in not having anything prepared... OOOPS! I was half-considering taking a break, but it feels weird to do that, so instead I am going with a song that is, perhaps, a little bit mainstream by my usual standards, but something I hope people enjoy. I had actually forgotten it was Yorkshire eligible until I was doing some research this evening... Hopefully you'll enjoy it! :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV104: Pulp "Common People"

WV104: Pulp - "Common People"

I was looking over my Yorkshire plans after finishing hosting and realising most of them involve NFs so was actually thinking of taking a break... Then realised that was daft, so instead I wandered around Wikipedia for a while in the hope I'd recognise something from Yorkshire. Joy of joys, I did! I do not know how many others will know this song as it seems to be fairly popular in the UK but failed to light up the charts anywhere else! I actually know it quite well from the iconic "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue" radio series where it has been used on a few rounds, but also from my clubbing days back when I were a lad. Hope you all enjoy it and get your bodies ready for my first NF for a VERY long time coming soooon :D

Eulaliya

New Wave Lupus is back serving taste xheat

Off-topic: I have something to suggest for your NF: a bop from UK Eurovision representants Black Lace:

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Woohooooo!! Thanks to y'all for seeing ::yohu through to a third consecutive final xfaint (OK one was a PQ, BUT STILL). I'm excited to announce that, all being well, I will have a National Final (only my first in about a year and a bit) to select my next WV entry up tomorrow after the SF2 results :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: YORKSHIRE: WV104: Pulp "Common People" and Broad Acres NF

WV105: The Broad Acres - A Yorkshire National Final

the-long-view-muker-hay-meadows-sm.jpg

Soooo it's been a while since I had a National Final, but I always wanted to do a few for Yorkshire (yes, more are forthcoming) so this has been on the cards for quite some time! The NF this time contains just four songs from a single artist, Mike Donald. In all honesty, I don't know much about him, save that he lived in Skipton (where I went to secondary school) and died quite young. My parents have had one album by him since I were a lad and I have taken four songs from this to share with y'all. The album's title is "Broad Acres", derived from one of the many names by which Yorkshire is known, being the largest traditional English county.

Song 1: More Like Blackpool

Song 2: Whitby Smugglers

Song 3: Bingo

Song 4: Leeds Town

Voting System: Any four from 8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1.

Votes to [MENTION=14505]Lupus[/MENTION] as usual :)

Deadline will be shortly before the submission deadline :D Hope y'all enjoy xlove

Song Details:

More Like Blackpool - Mike's home town of Skipton with "the castle, the canal and the rain" - a perfect description of the place and if you don't finish the song wanting to visit, I'll be buggered if I know why! ;)

Whitby Smugglers - Describes the period in the 18th and early 19th century when smuggling was a huge business on the Yorkshire Coast. It was said that contraband could pass from the beach to the top of the village of Robin Hood's Bay without ever seeing the light of day thanks to all the tunnels under the houses!

Bingo - It's Bingo in the morning, it's Bingo late at night! Written as Bingo Halls were sweeping the county a generation or two ago and explaining the lengths to which people would go to play their favourite new game!

Leeds Town - The perils of 'modern' life in 1970s Leeds in vivid detail! Trust me, the "thirty minute mile" is still true on a Friday afternoon when they've closed the inner ring road... A slightly laid back blue-sy vibe here to round off the National Final!

Eulaliya

:ph: has voted - a quite whimsical NF :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Thanks to :ph: :paci: :cy: for being my first three voters :D One song seems to have already fallen a little behind the rest, but it's close at the top!

esc87fan

PS: Guess who's coming your way in May... you're surrounded by obvious hints (no, it's not me - but maybe one day)! ;)

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

PS: Guess who's coming your way in May... you're surrounded by obvious hints (no, it's not me - but maybe one day)! ;)

Oh don't worry, I know who's coming my way in May!! Everyone's favourite Benjamin Ingrosso impersonator!!

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Thanks again to everyone who saw Pulp and "Common People" to an iconic 1-point-above-the-mess-of-four-songs-tying-for-lastth place :D

The National Final is still open and as I've only got three voters, it's time for mentionspam!

To those whose NFs I have voted in for WV105: [MENTION=10344]RevNet[/MENTION]
To those whose NFs I have voted in since WV80something: [MENTION=11243]ZoboCamel[/MENTION] [MENTION=12848]MARCOMEN[/MENTION] [MENTION=14451]ferret[/MENTION] [MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] [MENTION=12992]Fierro[/MENTION] [MENTION=12510]esc87fan[/MENTION] [MENTION=15700]JSSArcos[/MENTION] [MENTION=10742]daniels1000[/MENTION]
To those who used to vote in my NFs when I had them: [MENTION=12078]AshleyWright[/MENTION] [MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION] [MENTION=10140]cegs5[/MENTION] [MENTION=8763]Gera11[/MENTION] [MENTION=14372]Uvaro[/MENTION]

And to anyone else - it's a short NF! :D

Top Bottom