Contact us

WV108 SLAB CITY ☀ THE LAST FREE PLACE IN AMERICA ☀

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
VCtSWcb.png

WorldVision heads to the Sonoran Desert, California for our 108th contest. Welcome vagabonds to Slab City, a small town that's home to a colourful bunch of drifters and dreamers. The land used to house a U.S. Marine Corps installation but In 1961 the site was demolished, leaving behind only a bunch of slabs (hence Slab City). The Slabs is often referred to as the last free place in America. Although the land technically belongs to California State Teachers Retirement Association (nice of them to not care), people from all walks of life, some through choice and some not, have made the slabs their home. Rent free living might sound a tasty proposal to some but here there's no electricity, no sewage system and water is scarce. Also, no law around these parts so if anyone wants to steal some of my special moonshine, I'll bury you 6 feet under the sand and likely get away with it.

Despite the harshness of the environment, there's a strange beauty to what I've seen of Slab City. The place has been home over the years to many artists. A man called Leonard Knight moved to the slabs and in 1984 started work on his masterpiece, Salvation Mountain, a humongous man made hill of adobe and straw, painted in the most bright and huesome colours. It's one heck of a trip to look at and was pretty much my inspiration for bringing the contest here, as I'm so fascinated by this piece of art that this one man devoted his entire life to as a sign of love for his god. Leonard passed away in 2014 but the mountain is still maintained today.

That's enough of my claptrap for now (cause there will be more of course later), but I hope you enjoy camping out under the hot scorching sun of the Slabs this edition. Have a groovy time.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Re: WV108 SLAB CITY ☀ THE LAST FREE PLACE IN AMERICA

Because of course you'd host it in an artsy-fartsy, hippie, post-apocalyptic desert town full of weirdos. :lol: Where else is there?

This edition screams you already! :D So glad you're hosting. xlove

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yaaaaaaaaaas xheat

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Because of course you'd host it in an artsy-fartsy, hippie, post-apocalyptic desert town full of weirdos. :lol: Where else is there?

This edition screams you already! :D So glad you're hosting. xlove

You know me:cool: Well, actually I did have another couple of options. One was Death Valley and the other was Kernville, which I knew nothing about other than that if I squint my eyes it looks like the name of one of my favourite musicians..

I actually learned of Slab City thanks to Kesha's music video for Praying. I think pretty much the whole thing was done in Slab City and she's seen throughout the video wandering around the colourful mountain. I took an interest in the place and for a while watched any videos I could find on youtube. It is kind of post-apocalyptic as you put it. A lot of people describe Slab City as having a Mad Max kinda vibe to it which I totally can see.

This video is beautiful. What a lovely man Leonard was, and what a mountainxheart "I'm sitting here with a lot of paint and a lot of adobe, and a lot of happiness, and a lot of love." That's the way to live life. I hope I can see this place one day.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Also wanted to mention I'm doing artist banners this edition, so pick singers/bamboo flutes who you think will look prettyful on your banner. I'm doing cutouts of your artists which is probably going to take me a fair bit of time. There's no guarantee I won't cheat with bands and try and distinguish the lead singer (Michelle Williams) of each group and have them modelling alone. I'm having to start work on these early as they're super time consuming. Already been sneaking around greenrooms to see who has made artist announcements so I could get started. Three done..... fifty something to go. Wooo.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Amir

Veteran

Also wanted to mention I'm doing artist banners this edition, so pick singers/bamboo flutes who you think will look prettyful on your banner. I'm doing cutouts of your artists which is probably going to take me a fair bit of time. There's no guarantee I won't cheat with bands and try and distinguish the lead singer (Michelle Williams) of each group and have them modelling alone. I'm having to start work on these early as they're super time consuming. Already been sneaking around greenrooms to see who has made artist announcements so I could get started. Three done..... fifty something to go. Wooo.

Can you pretend Quen Dana is the lead singer of my entry?

Genesis

Also wanted to mention I'm doing artist banners this edition, so pick singers/bamboo flutes who you think will look prettyful on your banner.

Hmmm.... I kind of selected an entry already, but guess I have to rethink on my plans... I don't want to waste the opportunity to have glittery, and sparkly Justyna as my banner xshrug xheat

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Can you pretend Quen Dana is the lead singer of my entry?

For large dollar, yes. Otherwise no, Quen Dana will only be on your banner if Quen Dana visits Slab City

Hmmm.... I kind of selected an entry already, but guess I have to rethink on my plans... I don't want to waste the opportunity to have glittery, and sparkly Justyna as my banner xshrug xheat

I shouldn't have said anything cause now I predict 50 something icons will be sent and I'll cry when sorting out my points.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

There is no lie. It's all truth. All hail lead singer of Destiny's Child, Michelle Williams.

All hail Mashel Wollems I mean satan

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

THE DRAW

PQ-draw.png

pq-draw-2.png

---

pot-1.png

Pot-2.png

pot-3.png

pot-4.png

pot-5.png

pot-6.png

pot-7.png

pot-8.png

pot-9.png

pot-n.png

---

SEMI-FINAL-1.png

semi-final-2.png

****DISCLAIMER: Leinster is meant to be Kazakhstan

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

Such a big help. Thank you very much Ashleyxheart Would have taken me several years and I gots banners to make. Back I go to fashioning them.

giphy.gif

I hope all your WV108 draw related dreams came true this evening.

Amir

Veteran

This is a disaster ><

esc87fan

Semi 2 this time, let's see how people respond to this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom