Contact us

Winter Sports - Alpine Skiing, Cross-Country, Biathlon and more

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Honestly I was deeply disappointed with the way how FIS failed to offer an equal opportunity for getting points and earning the awards among DH and SG skiers. It's sad how Lara G.-B. and Marco O. missed the chance to properly fight back and "deserve" the second place in the overalls. I support what Lara did in the last race btw. xup I do understand that organizing DH and SG races is more difficult and it requires a lot of time to do the trainings, but I believe that FIS could think of a solution since they already proved to be capable of adapting the whole season to a variety of changes.

Almost every year we have DH SG canceled races, usually it doesn't happen at the finals so it goes more or less under the rug and no one makes a fuss, but the result's the same. FIS should really start to be more flexible, if you can change the program for Word Championships then do it for finals too.
However, I just find it ironic that people (not you, just people in general) seem to forget that last year it was Pintu who couldn't fight till the end, in total he got 5 races canceled, out of the 8 that were canceled that year 🙃

On another note, I just listened to an interview of Alexis Pinturault and Perrine Laffont on Eurosport (I know most of you don't follow moguls but this girl just won her 4th globe in a row and finally got her gold world medal in the single event, which means that at 22 she won everything she could in her sport.
From what he was saying, winning a second globe might not be a priority. He said that now that he won the globe, it would allow him to "make some choices" and that he needs to talk with his team to set the next goals. He wants to continue until 2023 (at least). I guess he won't hesitate to not participate in races that could help him get another Overall Globe if it means he can prepare for OG or World Championships.

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
I agree when it comes to Super G. Like in Lenzerheide, they could have at least done the SG instead of the team event (altho I'm happy Norway won that event of course). Downhill is a bit trickier, as they must complete trainings before they can compete. With a tight schedule, finding all that room can be hard. Most races get rescheduled tho. Wengen was moved to Kitzbühel (downhill) and Flachau (slalom) this season, so FIS should definitely change the rules for the finals, and allow for changes to be made there as well.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
It might be time to revive this thread :lol:

So today I went to Val d'Isere to watch the alpine skiing world cup live, and I can say two things:
1) now I really understand why the Bellevarde Face is called as such
2) while the public (myself included) was rooting for Pinturault, we must admit Marco Odermatt was impressive. In the last turns he had quite the speed. He's already on top of the overall ranking and will be hard to beat. I just wonder what are his priorities : the games or the globe. From what I gathered from his interviews Pinturault seems to mainly aim for gold at OG.

It was a nice all in all, I got to take a picture with one of our athletes, people were great supporters in the second run, weather wasn't that bad

pjelacki

congrats AJ Ginnis on 2nd place in Chamonix! so mad to see a Greek skiing podium :gr:

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
So stocked to see another skier getting his maiden podium, especially as he seemed to have suffered from a lot of injuries in the past !

The WC are starting today, I won't go but if the atmosphere is anything like the finals last year I promise you it will be one hell of a show xheat
The weather's looking good for the week, so there shouldn't be any delay.
I hope Lucas Braathen will be able to compete in the GS and SL, he's on a ride these past weeks, he deserves to fight for a medal too.

heke1988

Well :fi: performance in the Planica's WC has been terrible. A few top 10 places and 0 medals at the moment. I think both women and men Mass Start Classics are our only moment to take medals.:D

ShoeFlo

Well :fi: performance in the Planica's WC has been terrible. A few top 10 places and 0 medals at the moment. I think both women and men Mass Start Classics are our only moment to take medals.:D
I became a fan of wintersports when athletes like Janne Ahonen and Hannu Manninen were in their prime... and if somebody back then told me that Finland would soon totally collapse in Ski jumping (and Nordic Combined) I would have called this person crazy :(

heke1988

I became a fan of wintersports when athletes like Janne Ahonen and Hannu Manninen were in their prime... and if somebody back then told me that Finland would soon totally collapse in Ski jumping (and Nordic Combined) I would have called this person crazy :(
Well now we got surprising silver medal from men's 4x10km Relay Classic/Free. Biggest thanks to Iivo Niskanen!

Top Bottom