Contact us

Winter Sports - Alpine Skiing, Cross-Country, Biathlon and more

ShoeFlo

FINALLY
GERMANY’S WINNING STREAK ENDED

But I think you’re right; German skies were poor and Rydzek flopped terribly which means that Frenzel had to catch up rather than skiing away from Schmid
How popular is Nordic Combined in Germany though? [MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION]

Hmm, the most popular wintersports in Germany are certainly Biathlon and Ski jumping... followed by Alpine Skiing. But I guess on fourth place there would be Nordic Combined already... at least the nordic combined events are among those which are priorized by the broadcasters and they usually show them live. Whereas they would only show summaries of the Snowboard or Ice Skating events, for example.

and, by the way, finally our 6th golden medal (as expected) in the mixed ski jumping team event xheat Motivated by their home crowd Austria was throughout impressive, thats why it was tight until the last round. But in the end we were the most balanced team and the only one with 4 world-class athletes. Just like two years ago we have won 6 golden medals.. however, back then we won 4 events in NoCo and only two in Ski jumping and this time it was the other way around :p

Apart of the second ski jumping individual event (that was not regular, imo) this were great world championsships. Great to see our favorite neighbours from the south failing to win a golden medal in their own country :twisted: :lol:

Zonne147

Only realized there is a Winter Sports thread now :p
Hope Vittozzi or Wierer take gold today but think Dahlmeier prepared these World Championships really well so she is the big contender.. Roeiseland seems to be skiing really well. And we have to include Kuzmina and Makarainen too!
My dark horses are Oeberg Davidova and Fialkova...

Preuss

[MENTION=4395]Schlagerman1[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION]

ouch, it was really tough to watch poor Mona Brosson yesterday :(
Hopefully she can succeed in the individual

Zonne147

Still can't understand how the heck we got the two bronze medals right there,, absolutely unexpected, especially the one from Charvátová.
Wierer winning a gold is kinda predictable :D But I am happy for her, she's my favourite non-Czech biathlonist.

I was very happy with Charvátová's bronze medal, it was unexpected for me, I wasn't that surprised with the mixed relay medal - but definitely you got a bonus cause' most of the podium contenders were far from their best days

Davidová with a 20/20 in the 15km individual (or even 19/20) can fight for the win!! The women's races are more likely to surprises, since most of the favourites in men's races never make too much mistakes... Just see what happened with Eckhoff - she may be mentally affected

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
omg the men's relay race
Fourcade is crying, his brother's crying, Jacquelin is crying, everyone's crying xheart
This was the first time we saw so much emotion coming out from Martin Fourcade during in an interview, you can tell this medal means so, so much to him.
A short summary of what he said to different French medias : 19 years ago, he saw the first victory of the French relay on the news, it was surreal at this time, almost unexpected. Today, he's on cloud nine, because they brought gold to the whole staff and all former biathletes who worked for the building of this team. It's not about him getting finally his last missing title, it's about 19 years of countless efforts from the whole delegation finally coming to the best conclusion.

It shows how much biathlon grew in France over the years. Back in the days, you could only see it live on Eurosport, no one knew about it, but now it brings the biggest audience on L' Equipe, a 'free' channel.

I don't want to make any assumption, but it wouldn't surprise me if he goes into retirement at the end of the season. His wording showed this victory was the summit of his career and the end of a circle.

As for the women, 6 medals in 6 races for Marte Olsbu Roeiseland is just :eek:

Last edited:

HayashiM

Veteran
omg the men's relay race
It shows how much biathlon grew in France over the years. Back in the days, you could only see it live on Eurosport, no one knew about it, but now it brings the biggest audience on L' Equipe, a 'free' channel.

It's the same here in :cz: with Soukalová/Koukalová, our other biathletes aren't as great but the sport is suddenly one of the most followed ones even with her being gone. :)

I don't want to make any assumptions, but it wouldn't surprise me if he goes into retirement at the end of the season. His wording showed this victory was the summit of his career and the end of a circle.
Please please please be wrong! To me, Martin Fourcade and Dorothea Wierer are the only ones who keep the current competition away from a total :no: domination - I am not a :no: hater, but I'd rather not have biathlon's situation becoming the same thing as the cross-country skiing one.

Besides, I am a huge MF fan and I will really miss watching him race... There's still that Bjoerdalen's record of 95 individual victories to beat, hein?

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Please please please be wrong! To me, Martin Fourcade and Dorothea Wierer are the only ones who keep the current competition away from a total :no: domination - I am not a :no: hater, but I'd rather not have biathlon's situation becoming the same thing as the cross-country skiing one.

Besides, I am a huge MF fan and I will really miss watching him race... There's still that Bjoerdalen's record of 95 individual victories to beat, hein?
As much as I would like seeing him race in future years, he never hid the fact his end was near. Especially now that he got this title and strong french athletes to take after him. At best, he'll stop after 2022, but now might be the perfect time too. It might depends on wether or not he win the world cup this season but you better prepare for the worst :) (so you can be on the moon if he announces he'll still be there in 2020-2021)

Last edited:

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
And let me make an appreciation post about Perrine Laffont, who won 7 out of 8 mogul races this season. Not only the girl is a great exemple - an humble, pleasant and intelligent hardworker - but she comes from Pyrénées aka best mountains.

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
Let me add a few reflections (this will be a long post) in this sports-thread as well since I am a huge Winter Sports fan and very proud of :no: Norway's traditions and accomplishments as the World's greatest Winter Sport nation (as seen in the last several Winter Olympics). For a small country like ours that is quite an achievement but we have always been best at winter sports which has to do with our climate, our long winters, culture and traditions rather than summer sports. In other countries it is the opposite.

I see some people complain about Norway's dominance in cross-country skiing, but they seem to forget that the world's greatest male long distance cross-country skiier this year is Russian (Bolshunov). And the best women's sprinters are Swedish (several of them have been injured this season) and we also have a top Slovenian sprinter who has won many world cup events. But we are up there competing hard, as we should, and do have the world's best female long distance skiier in Therese Johaug and the best male sprinter in Johannes Høstflot Klæbo. They are an inspiration for other Norwegian skiiers and surely for many in other countries too.

But if we look some years back, the Swiss skiier Dario Cologna was at or near the top for several years, the Czech skiier Lukas Bauer was a dominant force in the world cup and Tour de Ski, and further back the Russian female skiiers in the 1990s ruled the world of long-distance skiing. And in 5 years time things could be quite different. Therese Johaug will have retired and Swedish Frida Carlsson could well be the world number 1 among the women with Russian Bulshonov nr 1 among the men. So things change and are not constant in sport though some countries (due to aforementioned culture, tradition, priority, economy etc) will always be among the best outdistancing others.

The complaints against Norway do leave a bad taste in my mouth though. They smell of envy. I can't recall people complaining and trying to change things with type of events etc to avoid Välbe, Jegorova & co winning all the time in the 1990s. The Netherlands were dominant for years and years in long distance skating with Kramer & co but nobody complained and tried to change things so that others had a greater chance of winning. Same in long distance running for that matter when Kenyans dominated athletics years on end in championships. So this envy especially by central-Europe towards Norway and attempting to change events/skiing-styles etc in order to stop Norway from winning is unsportsmanlike in my view. They should instead work harder to get to number one, much comes down to training methods, hard hard work over time, creating a great back-up team with ski-waxers etc to achieve improvement and success.

In biathlon we just has the world championships where France and Norway were the best overall, not surprising since these two countries have been the best in the world in biathlon over many years now. To be honest Norway had far from a perfect championship seeing as the world number one, together with Fourcade, Johannes Thingnes Bø had an average competition having dominated the world cup earlier in the season. But he became a father this winter and took a break from events for a while, and so was unable to be in his best form for the championship (personally I don't think his head was 100% on the events at the start of the competition, but also on his child, understandable in the circumstances). Even so he got several medals and winning the final event was a wonderful - and in my opinion deserved - achievement.

The French team (incl. Fourcade) which had been below par earlier in the season were in top form in the championship and did the best, winning several events. Norway won several smaller relays though (mix etc) and ended up with many medals in the end, much due to our excellent female biathlete Marte Olsbu Røiseland who managed an incredible 7 medals from 7 events (making history) incl. 2 individual golds. Italian Dorothea Wierer also won several golds for Italy, an impressive feat on 'home turf', while the French females were below par which can also be said for the world number one earlier in the season, Norwegian Tiril Eckhoff, who had a poor disappointing championship (personally I think it's a mental issue with her; she struggles with nerves when it comes to championships). It just shows there are never any guarrantees for victory in any sport, it all comes down to training, hard work, mental capacity and some luck on the day.

Biathlon may be a small sport on the world stage but in Norway it has always been huge and very popular. Ole Einar Bjørndalen, the greatest biathlete of all time, led the way and we have had many other great biathletes since then. Right now though, after Ole Einar and also Emil Hegle Svendsen retired in recent years, our team on the men's side is weaker than in previous years/incarnations and the French do have a better team overall. We don't have any upcoming 'stars' either as I see it so I don't think Norway will be dominant in men's biathlon in the years to come though the Bø-brothers will be up there with the best from France, Russia, Germany etc. If we look back some years, Germany had phenomenal teams in both men's and women's biathlon and I think they will further improve from where they are now. The Russians will also be up there, Sweden, and perhaps also newer biathlon-nations like Poland and Switzerland, so excitement will be great in the years to come in both men's and women's biathlon I think.

Last edited:

LastDreamer

Banned
Biathlon may be a small sport on the world stage
In my country biathlon is the second winter sport after ice hockey and much more popular than cross-country skiing.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Let me add a few reflections (this will be a long post) in this sports-thread as well since I am a huge Winter Sports fan and very proud of :no: Norway's traditions and accomplishments as the World's greatest Winter Sport nation (as seen in the last several Winter Olympics). For a small country like ours that is quite an achievement but we have always been best at winter sports which has to do with our climate, our long winters, culture and traditions rather than summer sports. In other countries it is the opposite.

I see some people complain about Norway's dominance in cross-country skiing, but they seem to forget that the world's greatest male long distance cross-country skiier this year is Russian (Bolshunov). And the best women's sprinters are Swedish (several of them have been injured this season) and we also have a top Slovenian sprinter who has won many world cup events. But we are up there competing hard, as we should, and do have the world's best female long distance skiier in Therese Johaug and the best male sprinter in Johannes Høstflot Klæbo. They are an inspiration for other Norwegian skiiers and surely for many in other countries too.

But if we look some years back, the Swiss skiier Dario Cologna was at or near the top for several years, the Czech skiier Lukas Bauer was a dominant force in the world cup and Tour de Ski, and further back the Russian female skiiers in the 1990s ruled the world of long-distance skiing. And in 5 years time things could be quite different. Therese Johaug will have retired and Swedish Frida Carlsson could well be the world number 1 among the women with Russian Bulshonov nr 1 among the men. So things change and are not constant in sport though some countries (due to aforementioned culture, tradition, priority, economy etc) will always be among the best outdistancing others.

The complaints against Norway do leave a bad taste in my mouth though. They smell of envy. I can't recall people complaining and trying to change things with type of events etc to avoid Välbe, Jegorova & co winning all the time in the 1990s. The Netherlands were dominant for years and years in long distance skating with Kramer & co but nobody complained and tried to change things so that others had a greater chance of winning. Same in long distance running for that matter when Kenyans dominated athletics years on end in championships. So this envy especially by central-Europe towards Norway and attempting to change events/skiing-styles etc in order to stop Norway from winning is unsportsmanlike in my view. They should instead work harder to get to number one, much comes down to training methods, hard hard work over time, creating a great back-up team with ski-waxers etc to achieve improvement and success.

In biathlon we just has the world championships where France and Norway were the best overall, not surprising since these two countries have been the best in the world in biathlon over many years now. To be honest Norway had far from a perfect championship seeing as the world number one, together with Fourcade, Johannes Thingnes Bø had an average competition having dominated the world cup earlier in the season. But he became a father this winter and took a break from events for a while, and so was unable to be in his best form for the championship (personally I don't think his head was 100% on the events at the start of the competition, but also on his child, understandable in the circumstances). Even so he got several medals and winning the final event was a wonderful - and in my opinion deserved - achievement.

The French team (incl. Fourcade) which had been below par earlier in the season were in top form in the championship and did the best, winning several events. Norway won several smaller relays though (mix etc) and ended up with many medals in the end, much due to our excellent female biathlete Marte Olsbu Røiseland who managed an incredible 7 medals from 7 events (making history) incl. 2 individual golds. Italian Dorothea Wierer also won several golds for Italy, an impressive feat on 'home turf', while the French females were below par which can also be said for the world number one earlier in the season, Norwegian Tiril Eckhoff, who had a poor disappointing championship (personally I think it's a mental issue with her; she struggles with nerves when it comes to championships). It just shows there are never any guarrantees for victory in any sport, it all comes down to training, hard work, mental capacity and some luck on the day.

Biathlon may be a small sport on the world stage but in Norway it has always been huge and very popular. Ole Einar Bjørndalen, the greatest biathlete of all time, led the way and we have had many other great biathletes since then. Right now though, after Ole Einar and also Emil Hegle Svendsen retired in recent years, our team on the men's side is weaker than in previous years/incarnations and the French do have a better team overall. We don't have any upcoming 'stars' either as I see it so I don't think Norway will be dominant in men's biathlon in the years to come though the Bø-brothers will be up there with the best from France, Russia, Germany etc. If we look back some years, Germany had phenomenal teams in both men's and women's biathlon and I think they will further improve from where they are now. The Russians will also be up there, Sweden, and perhaps also newer biathlon-nations like Poland and Switzerland, so excitement will be great in the years to come in both men's and women's biathlon I think.

For me Norway's domination in nordic disciplines is totally justified, they're national sports out there. When it becomes a cultural aspect of a nation, you can't expect anything else, the same thing happens in speed skating with the Netherlands.
Of course, when our country - or favorite athlete - isn't the one in position of power, we are more prone to lament about the lack of competition. As frustrating as it is, it just means others have to step up their game.

On a side note, that's why France's good results never cease to amaze me : biathlon, or even cross-country skiing for that matter, is not popular at all compared to alpine skiing. We have very few athletes, not much material to work with, but thankfully a great detection process and talented coaches. Let's hope more children get inspired and decided to join biathlon so we can still be competitive in the years to come.

HayashiM

Veteran
As much as I would like seeing him race in future years, he never hid the fact his end was near. Especially now that he got this title and strong french athletes to take after him. At best, he'll stop after 2022, but now might be the perfect time too. It might depends on wether or not he win the world cup this season but you better prepare for the worst :) (so you can be on the moon if he announces he'll still be there in 2020-2021)

Well, you were right. What a Friday the 13th has it been, from the sports point of view. :( First my beloved Dana Zátopková passing away, and now Martin Fourcade ending his career. :(

I know there are much more pressing issues right now in the world, but this makes me really sad. A big thanks to Martin for all the amazing moments he gave us, I wish him a very fulfilling retirement and all the best in the future.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Well, you were right. What a Friday the 13th has it been, from the sports point of view. :( First my beloved Dana Zátopková passing away, and now Martin Fourcade ending his career. :(

I know there are much more pressing issues right now in the world, but this makes me really sad. A big thanks to Martin for all the amazing moments he gave us, I wish him a very fulfilling retirement and all the best in the future.
I knew you would be sad, but like he said it was the right time. The relay was the turning point as I thought.
Today's race was perfect, him winning before two other frenchies and Boe grasping the overall. He gave a long interview after the race, he didn't cry this time but was really emotional. It was a beautiful moment, we'll miss him even if thankfully he won't leave the olympic sphere (he's our next candidate for IOC athlete commitee).
Thank you Martin for your career, you created a special place for biathlon in French people's heart, you deserve the best for the rest of your life.

Fun fact :
On 14th March 2010, Martin Fourcade won his first WC race during a pursuit in Kontiolahti. 10 years later, same race, same day, same place, he wins his last.

Last edited:

Zonne147

What a sad/happy/nervous day for me as a biathlon fan. I have never felt so many emotions in the same day since I follow the sport (2013)

Everything started yesterday when I opened my Instagram and I realized that the great Martin Fourcade has decided to end his journey as a professional biathlete.

Today, when Boe missed 3, I thought Fourcade had high chances of ending his career in the best possible way - winning his very last race and winning his 8th overall world cup title. (Un)fortunately, Johannes Boe showed how strong and focused he is, managing to hit the last five targets and win the whole thing by 2 points. I was happy for him too, he has also shown he is a super professional but also an amazing person - the act of missing two WC rounds because of the birth of his son was extraordinary. And at the end everyone was happy - the breathtaking race for the pursuit globe, and Emilien Jacquelin was the fair and deserved winner.

Well, Fourcade deserves every single positive word and appreciation but this was a sad day for the women's biathlon too.
At the 3rd shooting, Eckhoff hit five targets that put her in 1st position and Wierer missed 2 shoots that have relegated her to 16th, I thought it was over ofc... But in that last shooting, Tiril missed three and Wierer missed one - after that I knew Dorothea Wierer was taking her 2nd global win. I was really happy as a huge huge fan of Doro - and for Italians that are going through a difficult situation - but I also felt bad for Tiril, I think she would also be a fair winner. But that's sport.

At the end of the race, Julia Simon won for the first time ever. Then I didn't know who I wanted on podium - Gasparin, Vittozzi or Makarainen. I was happy for Gasparin, it has been a long while since her last podium and especially for Lisa Vittozzi. After a disturbing season, she managed to finish on podium... And Kaisa... I wanted her to finish on top 3 because I knew that could be her last race. And it was. I felt so bad when I realized that.

I realized that biathlon was losing another amazing athlete and human being. An athlete loved by everyone, known not only for her superb achievements but also for her personality and for her respect towards others. And when she was crying...oh... And her words were so honest...

Only biathlon fans know how much this sport will miss Fourcade and Makarainen. Retirements are common and my sadness is the same when a top athlete retires or when a middle table athlete retires... But those two were remarkable for everyone in many ways...

And now... 8 long months until the new season starts... :(

Last edited:

JamieBrown

I don't know what I can say about Fourcade. He drove me really insane in the years he dominated the world cup all alone. It was less for his dominance than for his utter confidence and early celebrations. So the truth obviously is, that Fourcade was not my favourite athlete at all. Nonetheless Biathlon now loses an athlete, that raises his voice against doping, leads his fellow athletes and is a loyal sportsman after all. He'll better gets elected into the IOC and he'll better remain the athletes voice in it.
Thanks Martin for all these years and the endless fights against Björndalen, Svendsen, the Boes, our germans and the russians. There were legendary races. My first remembrance of you will always be the 2010 olympics mass start competition and your silver medal. That was, when a legend was born, yet we didn't know back then.

Kaisa Mäkäräinen deserves the same respect. She's everything Martin Fourcade was and I truly ever liked her. A sole ray of hope in dark times for the whole finnish winter sports. I hope her fellow teammates can keep up their flag. Thanks Kaisa for incredible races, unbelievable skiing performances and many great championships races. I'm sorry you never won an olympic medal. But one of the greatest sportsmen of Finland didn't win an olympic medal either, so maybe it's the fate of these people.

Biathlon obviously won't be the same without them, but we will have many athletes to follow them both and entertain with outstanding performances and thrilling competitions. The women's pursuit about the world cup was the most amazing race I've seen the past two years. Well done to the three main actors of that drama xclap

See you guys back in November hopefully and we can discuss biathlon a little more often here xcheer

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member
I too want to give a small tribute to Martin Fourcade. France and Norway have in many ways dominated mens biathlon in the past 15 years and Fourcade has been up there dominating the sport after Norwegian Ole Einar Bjørndalen, the greatest biathlete of all time, was in the final part of his career and after he retired. In the last couple years Norwegian Johannes Tingnes Bøe has competed with Fourcade to be the world's best but overall I would say Fourcade is the 2nd best male biathlete of all time (after Ole Einar) and he will be missed.

I have watched countless biathlon-events on tv over the years and have been equally frustrated how darn good Fourcade has been (hehe) and at the same time I have admired him for his eminent skill and also his sportsmanship. In recent years Ole Einar retired, as did another top class biathlete Norwegian Emil Hegle Svendsen, and now Martin Fourcade. A golden era in biathlon is over - and the younger accomplished athletes from Norway (Johannes Tingnes Bøe), France (several highly talented biathletes) and other great biathlon-nations (perhaps Germany will return to the top again, also others) will take their place.

I could say much about Johannes Tingnes Bøe, Tiril Eckoff and others (we Norwegians are very proud of our top athletes) but that is for another time, now it was time for a small tribute to the biathlon legend Martin Fourcade. You made history, Martin. You certainly did.

Looren

Veteran
I follow the alpine sking season, my favorites are Pinturault, Kranjec, Mayer, Marchant and Vinatzer (I think I'm forgettuing someone xD )

I was sad when last season was stopped and Pinturault came second again :(

Top Bottom