Contact us

Winter Sports - Alpine Skiing, Cross-Country, Biathlon and more

Preuss

I want Wellinger to win, but I think Kobayashi will take the tournament as Andi Wellinger hasn't been in very good shape this season
I prefer watching Biathlon or Alpine skiing though

Preuss

Four Hills Tournament 2018/19 is starting today with the qualifying in Oberstdorf.

Are here still people who care about this? And if so, who do you think will win it this time? My gut tells me Stoch will make it once again. Not 4 out of 4 again, though. His countrymate Zyla is obviously not negligable either, he looked pretty consistent so far. Other than that, the big favorite is the world cup leader, the younger Kobayashi brother. Let's see if he keeps his nerves!
Would love to have a shock winner again for a change... preferarbly a German guy :cool: Andreas Wellinger has all the skills he need to make it but his form lately got worse with every event....

I want Wellinger to win, but I think Kobayashi will take the tournament as Andi Wellinger hasn't been in very good shape this season
I prefer watching Biathlon or Alpine skiing though

JamieBrown

I'm going with Stoch as well, Ryoyu seems that typical shooting star of the first season quarter, that cannot maintain his extra-ordinary quality for the tournament... *hust* Domen Prevc *hust* xwhistle

Also for me the biggest rival for Stoch seems his teammate Zyla. Forfang, Kraft, Wellinger and maybe even Geiger could surprise us all tho xthink

ShoeFlo

Half time in 4 hills tournament and it looks like I was wrong.

My biggest hope for a German win Andi Wellinger is flopping big times, missed the finals both in Oberstdorf and Garmisch. After good-ish results at the beginning of the season he seems to be out of form now. Instead of Wellinger, the so-called "training champion" Eisenbichler is delighting german Ski jumping fans and finally manages to transfer his excellent training performances to the big event. There weve got the dark horse who is fighting for the win and I am happy it is a German horse :D

However, I dont see him making four more world class jumps and even if he does he probably wont win the tournament. Meanwhile I am pretty sure Ryuyo wins it unless he will have a Harada moment (for those, who dont know what I mean by that check out Lillehammer 1994 team event, kinda mean to suggest same could happen to Kobayashi just because his is Japanese too...). Sure, Ryuyo has a small, small margin to Eisenbichler but it feels like Ryuyo could step up his game if he needs to. His jumps today looked a lil bit like safety jumps, as if he was mainly focussed on making a fine telemark landing. Thats also a main difference to some other young ski jumpers (must think of Domen Prevc who has always been jumping as if he is acting for Jackass), he doesnt take too many risks. He looks very calm and controlled and this will be the key after all. Let alone that he is simply the best athlet at the moment.
I just hope we will have a nice and thrilling battle between Eisenbichler and Kobayashi. We cant rule out Kubacki yet but he can only come close when the two boys at the top blunder.

As many times before, Garmisch was the place that killed a couple of favorites. Kraft, who I thought would be the only one who could still challenge Kobayashi after Oberstdorf, had a pretty black day. To see how miserable Austria became makes me smile tbh. :mrgreen: Stoch was good, but not good enough. Zyla messed it up. Stjernen was never a contender for me, but yeah, he is out now as well.

What about the other Germans? Wellinger is a huge let-down, as I said before. Geiger is a little underwhelming. His previous performances promised a bit more. Having said that, he is a decent athlet but not a guy for the Top 5 anyway. Leyhe is doing alright. Especially his second jump today was amazing. Freitag is a lucky bag. You never know what you get. Today it was Yin and Yang again. I dont understand why his system is so unstable. The young Germans coming from Continental Cup are doing well, especially Constantin Schmid who will remain part of the team as reward for his good performances. Consequently, Freund will quit the tournament. I am not sure if he'll ever be able to live up to his successes he had before those two cruciate ruptures happened... :?

JamieBrown

Yeah. Ryoyu (;))should take it, but I guess Eisenbichler remains 2nd.

You pointed out all the rights so far. So let's hope Wellinger and Geiger can do better. Iirc Oberstdorf and Garmisch are not the favourites of Geiger, nonetheless he's doing neither better nor worse than the past years right now. About Wellinger I thought that maybe a break would do better, to let him work without any pressure. It can still work out during the tournament, and besides Schmid none of the german B-squad delivered enough for remaining in the team. Pius Paschke surely wouldn't do bad as well, but it's okay to send him home. The other talents didn't disappoint me tho. They delivered what they could do and maybe we will hear more from one or two of them in the upcoming years.

With that said, I'm wishing you all a happy new year xcheers

Preuss

Andi Wellinger will get in shape to the World Championships :D
He is only 23 years old, but I feel like he's been jumping since forever
He doesn't seem to have Neureuther status yet in Germany, but possibly later

Daybreak

Freestyle skier Kelly Sildaru is the world champion in women's halfpipe after doing a switch 1080 (first for a female skier in a competition) on her final run, couple of weeks after winning three medals at the X-Games xwoo Yeah, I sound like a typical Estonian excited about Kelly but I actually discovered freestyle skiing slightly before most of the hype around her started (although that makes me sound like a hipster :lol:).

EscGeek

Veteran
Good to know! congratulations :D
Estonia is like a ghost in winter sports that are popular in slovenia :lol:

Ilka Štuhec is again a downhill champion. That's 3rd slovenian title in a row (Tina Maze 2015, Ilka Štuhec 2017 & 2019):cool:

Listen to the excitement of our reporter

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Not only Ilka Štuhec conserved her world title, she did it a mere season after a knee injury.
And special ovation for Vonn and Svindal, who go into retirement with another world medal around their neck. The careers of these legends are insane, surely they will be missed.

ShoeFlo

UNBELIEVABLE!

double win for our athletes in the large hill ski jumping event in the Nordic world ski championships xcheer Who cares about 4 hills tournament now ?

Eisenbichler never won an event before but now right in the most important event of the year he gets his first win. Just like a guy who is sexually abstinent before the wedding and then just when he gets married he is dipping his wick :lol:

Moreover, Karl Geiger won the silver medal xfaint He for me is the biggest surprise of this season. I never really paid attention to him as he wasnt more than an solid jumper for the places around 20 but this season he really made his breakthrough and suddenly he became a medal winner!

Big shock is to see the young swiss jumper Kilian Peier winning Bronze.. great to see Switzerland wont disappear from the ski-jumping map as there is a successor for Simon Amann who will probably retire soon (he is the meanwhile second oldest ski jumper, I think)

Kobayashi was way too over-motivated in the second jump but I guess he will return stronger and tries everything to win the other single event

Tomorrow there is the team event and Germany is obviously big favorite after today xheat A team gold medal in the world championships is still missing in the "trophy cabinet" of our coach Werner Schuster who will sadly leave the team after this winter :(

Austria was very good today as collective and in front of their own fans they will be extra-motivated. But I dont see them strong enough to challenge us even though in team events they sometimes overperform.

The Polish jumpers seem to struggle with the hill in Innsbruck. However, the second jump of Stoch was stunning again. Tomorrow they will replace Wolny by Hula which I think is a wise decision

Norway has a strong team as always but they use to be shaky and moreover they dont have a stand-out athlet at the moment who could put the rivals under pressure if its necessary

Japan will have a say in the fight for the medals. Don't even have to talk about the younger Kobayashi, but also the older Kobayashi had a couple of fantastic jumps on this hill... Sato is unpredictable and Ito a decent number 4.

Preuss

[MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION]

Germany taking everything in Ski Jumping and Nordic Combined and Norwegians in Cross Country :D

ShoeFlo

Germany taking everything in Ski Jumping and Nordic Combined and Norwegians in Cross Country :D

Sounded like a fair deal, but lately you guys started to violate the agreement and started winning also Ski Jumping and Nordic Combined events IOTAP :lol:

It's a shame to see the drop down of our Cross country team, though. When I started to watch winter sports in 2002 we had some of the best male Cross country athletes.. but yeah, that's long ago. Wish we will step up one day soon again

The remaining chances for Germany to win medals:

Men Ski jumping event on the small hill... however, the qualification was so-so for our athletes... Kobayashi and Kraft dominated the session. That's what I thought before.. after the surprising result of the first event, the favorites will be eager to take revenge.

Nordic combined team event... our team is obviously one of the strongest and in the team events we always deliver, But tbh, The Norwegian team has also good arguments to win this. And yesterday none of our athletes were even close to the medal ranks...

Team mixed Ski jumping... while I am sceptical regarding our chances in the events I just mentioned, in this event we really should win the golden medal. It would be just consequent after we dominated both the women and men team event... The Norwegian men are not at the peak of their abilities only, Japan can't be carried by Kobayashi and Takanashi alone since the second string is not good enough.The real danger here is probably Austria. I hope the second male jumper will mess it up for them

Schlagerman1

*coughs*

6198507_4402471.jpg

For the first time ever in a World Championship does the swedish women relay team win the gold medal. This was the best I've seen our girls do ever and it was a dream coming true.
Our young team with Ebba Andersson (21), Frida Karlsson (19), Charlotte Kalla (31, queen of swedish skiing) and Stina Nilsson (25) wrecked Norway yesterday.
The future for swedish cross-country skiing on the womens side is looking brighter for each day! :mrgreen:

Preuss

[MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION] [MENTION=4395]Schlagerman1[/MENTION]

Yes, the women's relay was exciting for once - well deserved victory for Sweden... I believe Frida and Ebba will be a dangerous duo in the years to come and that Sweden will dominate in the women's game, but holy crap the men are not doing great these days lol - poor Calle.... I mean they do the weirdest things like Viktor and Calle in the sprint with their awful tactics and Calle and Jens Burman today with their horrific distribution of energy... I feel bad for them - I love Calle's reply to Petter Northug's comment though :p

The ski jumping competition today was a joke lol, hopefully the mix will get better where the Germans should win gold or anything else should be dissapointing for them. Now about Nordic Combined I feel like Germany didn't do well last competition so maybe there's hopes for Austria and Norway to challenge them for gold although the quartett of Frenzel, Rydzek, Riessle and Geiger is ridiculously strong :p

Schlagerman1

[MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION] [MENTION=4395]Schlagerman1[/MENTION]

Yes, the women's relay was exciting for once - well deserved victory for Sweden... I believe Frida and Ebba will be a dangerous duo in the years to come and that Sweden will dominate in the women's game, but holy crap the men are not doing great these days lol - poor Calle.... I mean they do the weirdest things like Viktor and Calle in the sprint with their awful tactics and Calle and Jens Burman today with their horrific distribution of energy... I feel bad for them - I love Calle's reply to Petter Northug's comment though :p

Oh good, don't mention the men.... :rolleyes:
Let's just pretend we got only females in skiing. :lol: :mrgreen:

Preuss

Oh good, don't mention the men.... :rolleyes:
Let's just pretend we got only females in skiing. :lol: :mrgreen:

I mean what a MESS - the era of Hellner and Olsson would go over eventually one day and literally no one came up
The sprinters Jonsson and Petersson were pretty great too... :rolleyes:

I mean what was the Swedish tactic today? Calle spending all of his energy on the hill on 2nd of 3 laps and then Jens Burman taking 30 seconds on Bolshunov and Røthe on like a kilometer or two...?

Schlagerman1

I mean what a MESS - the era of Hellner and Olsson would go over eventually one day and literally no one came up
The sprinters Jonsson and Petersson were pretty great too... :rolleyes:

I mean what was the Swedish tactic today? Calle spending all of his energy on the hill on 2nd of 3 laps and then Jens Burman taking 30 seconds on Bolshunov and Røthe on like a kilometer or two...?

I don't know, they had no tactics...Calle felt "fresh" on the 2nd lap and thought he could break the others....Calle has had this problem all his career, a lot of misjudgements, I am sick of it.
And yeah, after Hellner and Olsson it was just Halfvarsson that COULD do something...but after that it is really empty. I don't know why or how it happened, it just did. Maybe it was so many girls that just took after Charlotte Kalla ten years ago, so that the guys didn't fit in anymore, I don't know to be honest.
But it happens I guess, hopefully in a not too distant future we will have a good guy again...but it will take time for sure...

Preuss

I don't know, they had no tactics...Calle felt "fresh" on the 2nd lap and thought he could break the others....Calle has had this problem all his career, a lot of misjudgements, I am sick of it.
And yeah, after Hellner and Olsson it was just Halfvarsson that COULD do something...but after that it is really empty. I don't know why or how it happened, it just did. Maybe it was so many girls that just took after Charlotte Kalla ten years ago, so that the guys didn't fit in anymore, I don't know to be honest.
But it happens I guess, hopefully in a not too distant future we will have a good guy again...but it will take time for sure...

How do you think about tomorrow? I feel like we'll see Charlotte, Frida and Ebba in the fight for the medals... I am afraid that the gold's already Therese's

Schlagerman1

How do you think about tomorrow? I feel like we'll see Charlotte, Frida and Ebba in the fight for the medals... I am afraid that the gold's already Therese's

Yeah Therese should have this in the bag....but it feels like the only one that COULD stop her is Frida Karlsson....if someone said that to me last week I would roll on the floor laughing my ass off. :lol: But to be honest, if she has her mind to it, still have the power for that race and if Therese have bad skiis or something, than MAYBE she could be up there. Charlotte could as well now, feeling more secure in that she had found some sort of form (her last lap in the relay was almost as epic as her catching up in the Sochi Olympics, you could never count that woman off any medal!). Ebba I still think she suffers a little from the sickness she got right before the championships, but she has been strong all season, so she could as well.

So yeah, Therese should win the gold, but the other medals should be a fight between the swedes, the norwegians and maybe Nepryaeva and Pärmäkoski.

Top Bottom