Contact us

Will there be a change in the voting system?

Brandt

Do you think what happened last night will have an influence on a change of voting system the next year, like how 0 points for Germany and Austria did have an impact on it back in 2015?

burrito

I wanna say yes but I have no idea how would they want to avoid similar situations in the future. Guess they would have to go back to what it was like before to hide the unfavorable televote results.

GermanBango

Wouldn`t be surprised if they went back to the old system.

Chrisiam

Well, I don't want to sound horrible or anything but any changes will only come if enough nations (or at least those in the big 5 who came in the bottom five) will kick up enough of a fuss about it.

LoveHate

The juries should just go. They were brought back to lower the impact of buddy-voting, and to elevate diversity. The reality is you have Greece and Cyprus swapping 24 points instead of 12 (the Nordics, among others, are almost as bad), and the juries keep killing entries the viewers would have ranked much higher. There are so many problems, but just to list a few:
-The show is for the viewers at home. 5 narrow minded music ”experts” should not have a say over the spectators. We’ve seen it a few times that the public favorite does not win.
-On the other hand we’ve also seen jury favorites being in the lead, and then brutally burned by the televotes. That’s almost as bad, especially for the artists.
-Juries rank all songs, which means they not only vote for the ones they like; they sabotage entries they don’t like. Viewers don’t have that power.
-Juries watch a different performance. In the case of bad singing, mishaps and what not, the juries and viewers are not even evaluating the same end product.
-Juries are possibly worse than spectators when it comes to buddy-voting, and voting for the same style over and over. Viewers have been much more open minded.
-The so called experts can’t even agree on who should win, so can you say they recognise quality? There were so many different 12-pointers yesterday that I lost count.
Edit: 16 (!!!) finalists got 12-pointers from juries, so how are juries relevant for rewarding the highest quality when they can’t even remotely agree on the winner?

Last edited:

Franco

I'd like to go back to when the spokespersons gave the 8,10,12 points and the order of televote was given according to the televote results, not the juries' results. It was more suspenseful.

I may be slightly off topic, though, since this is not about the voting system but how the votes are announced.

aef

Going back to the old voting system we had until 2015 wouldn't change anything for the zero/low pointers. I would even support low results.

Why changing anything? The suspense and excitement was almost killing me last night. And Eurovision is known and loved for its drama.

And I really, really don't wanna talk about getting rid of juries once again, please.

WhoKnows

Send everyone, bar the host nation, to go through qualifying and this "embarrassment" is avoided. As a viewer, I thought it was epic television lol. Can't say either of the four didn't deserve it either.

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Increase the size of the juries and ensure they are only recruited under very specific rules. I'm fed up of seeing random Eurovision acts and influencers being picked as jury members.

The televote is the televote and I wouldn't change the 50/50

EscGeek

Veteran
It's hilarious that in 2016, they made it harder to score 0 pts, because now we have two sets of votes, but yesterday we saw 4 countries getting a zero :ROFLMAO:

Just put the big 5 in the semis and let's have 13 qualifiers instead of 10.

Fluke

One possible change i could see (though it probably won't happen) is that any entry that makes the top 10 of both juries and televote qualifies, even if another one gets more total points. That would have made Croatia qualify this year, instead of Norway.

Loindici

Veteran
They won't change it. Sweden only changed it to make the contest more like Melfest and to make a better "show", and last night really proved that

I'll agree that it's not gonna be changed, but instead of producing adrenaline by excitement, I feel it produces more adrenaline by stress.

Top Bottom