Contact us

Will the pre-recorded backing vocals remain?

Fluke

When it was first announced that it would be allowed, the responses were somewhat varying if mostly negative, but i think now we can pretty much all agree the results weren't great. In my view, it just took away a lot of the ethics and actual live feeling of some entries, and made the "live" performance no different than any typical TV show appearance.

Not only could it be seen as cheating, it actually detracted from some entries musically. The overuse of huge choirs, Bulgaria being the worst example, felt totally out of place in the ESC and swamped the actual live vocals. All of them, IMO just felt tacky and unnecessary for the song, which would have sounded better with a small live backing vocal group.

Also, while they were explicitly only supposed to be backing vocals, some entrants like Moldova actually used a prerecorded track to practically replace the part of the lead vocals, leading to a mediocre and inauthentic mimed performance effect.

Finally, some performances like Latvia, Czechia, Austria, Georgia and Ireland may have been musically harmed by allowing pre-recorded vocals, as it may have been an excuse to not give them enough time to rehearse and set up their mixing/monitoring etc.

So i think overall, this should be considered a "failed experiment" that should never have been done at all. Please don't repeat it, go back to live vocals only next year. Does anyone disagree?

rasmuslights

Veteran
tbh I'm happy that the rule stayed... it didn't bother me one-bit last year...

Worst worst worst decision ever! We will get even more fake performances which will lead to a decline of overall quality. Only way to at least slow this development down: ban Kirkorov For at least every second year…

haha, I'd be so happy if they ban him from the contest... seriously that guy (and his team as well) is a disease.

Shadowfuxcs

tbh I'm happy that the rule stayed... it didn't bother me one-bit last year...

haha, I'd be so happy if they ban him from the contest... seriously that guy (and his team as well) is a disease.
I mean based on the homophobic and transphobic comments he has made across the years there is more than concrete reason to ban him. Instead he is celebrated as esc-royalty by w*w*bloggs etc who in the meantime pretend to be lgbt-pioneers while they lay in bed with people like Kirkorov and receive special invitations by dictators like Lukashenko (only to later "discover" how bad Lukashenko is after the whole world rises against him). The fact that a disgusting and untalented character like Kirkorov has survived as a major player in the esc-bubble for so long just shows the pathogenies that part of the press and the fanbase are carrying: anything can be forgiven as long as you spray some glitter and throw a rainbow flag on it.

As for the pre-recorded vocals; they could work in favour of the competition as long as their implementation is severely restricted compared to how they were used in 2021. I don't expect anything to change though.

Last edited:

burrito

I wish I was surprised lol
"Restrictions" would be welcomed but they ain't gonna help anyway, they were in place this year and still we got what we got. looking at you Moldova

ekzuu

It's kinda sad tbh... I was more optimistic for ESC to throw it away as the contest was gonna go to Italy, Italy in Eurovision in my opinion pretty much associates with authenticity, pure and raw creativity, performance and emotion, and yet even with them it continues... I guess its even lesser hope that it will ever go now. I wonder if Italy even protested against it or they were like 'ok'. It's also telling that it's practically the first thing they decided, as it seems very important for some reason.... that said I can live with that, but yeah, (some) performances will be more manufactured for sure... so much for the hope for orchestra haha

EscGeek

Veteran
I guess i was wrong by thinking this is a covid safety measure... but i'm pretty sure Mr. Covid isn't going away anytime soon.

I hope someday in the future delegations will be able to freely choose - live backing; yes or no, & live orchestra; yes or no.

Top Bottom