Contact us

Wild Card Country, NO gets majority vote.

Should we go forward with the Wild Card Country Rule?

• Yes

3 25.0%
  • No

9 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orient Matsuri

OM will turn 2 years old in a few days and we are preparing our 2nd-year anniversary celebration which will take place very soon. Another way we are going to celebrate this event is to add a new eligible country to OM, the Wild Card Country!

A Wild Card country isn't just a specific country you play as, but you use it to send entries from any country in the world! You can send entries from Bulgaria, Colombia Greenland, New Zealand, Dominican Republic, etc through this! Very similar to how a nation in NSC plays but everyone can play or occupy the Wild Card country as any other eligible country in OM.

But how does a Wild Card entry work in practice then?

Below is the preliminary text of rules about how the Wild Card Country/Entry is going to work and to make it as fair as possible

1. A Wild Card Country functions like its own playable country, but a Wild Card Entry is from any other country outside the OM eligibility area.
• e.g. Argentina, Colombia, Bulgaria, Greenland, New Zealand, The Bahamas and etc.

2. A Wild Card Entry can also be from any country within the OM eligibility area.

3. Only one wild card country/entry can be played per edition.

4. You can switch into a Wild Card Country in the 'Orient Express: Jury Switching' thread during the submission period.

5. Once you switch to a Wild Card Country you can only play with it for 1 edition as opposed to the regular 5 editions for countries within the OM eligibility area. After playing with it for 1 edition, your Wild Card Country becomes ”free-to-take”. If no one takes your Wild Card Country after that edition, you still have to switch to an eligible country.

6. You can however reoccupy the Wild Card Country after the time span of 3 editions.
• e.g. If you lost the rights to the Wild Card Country in OM 32, you can preserve it for OM 35.

7. When you are switching to a Wild Card Country, your previous country becomes free for anyone to occupy during the submission period.
• e.g. Armenia was used by Juror A from OM25 to OM27. If you want to take a Wild Card Country for OM28, Armenia will be available for anyone to occupy during the OM28 submission period.

8. The Wild Card Entry should be intact within the realm of what an OM entry is. The mod team will control the validation of the sent wild card entry during the submission period.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Do you have options and suggestions on how we can improve this set of rules or the Wild Card Country idea overall?

Feel free to write in this thread or send a PM to @Orient Matsuri

The Wild Card country can be played in OM 40 and forward.

Prepare for your jury switch!

Have fun!

world_flags_globe_2.gif

Amir

Veteran
I hope Flo doesn’t see all this 🙈

Ewigkeit

Veteran
It seems like the discussions surrounding this new feature will carry on, so I suggest we don't enact it yet until it's fully developed and we vote on the suggestions and objections offered by the members. Otherwise, it will just be a rule brought forward and launched by the mods as the only suggestion on how this new feature can be improved was introduced by another mod.

Amir

Veteran
Well, if the discussion is still on….I honestly think the suggested wildcard rule is complete bullshit. It’s against the initial idea of the contest. Rules have been made much less strict already about the eligibility of artists. And we have enough countries one could take. If you don’t wanna make an effort to look for music from those countries you can always join WV. I can see that because of many people and their taste here for example Bulgarian chalga would totally fit the rest of the music, but other countries and other music styles will lead to endless discussions.
I think making a wildcard option with Asian/African countries only would be a nice and fun option for people that have to wait an edition or two until their desired country becomes available, but me personally I wouldn’t want to have Spain, Argentina, Canada or whatever among all the other typical OM countries

chontono

I only miss to be able to include some American countries here from time to time that I lately find so intriguing and musically successful but I would not use or like seeing European countries against Cambodia and else, tbh.
so after some thought, I would vote against the idea, I’m afraid xshrug

Fierro

There are a lot of unique artists, including POCs, outside of OM area (Australia, Europe, Americas) that sing completely in OM style (not brainless radio pop). Some of them still cannot be sent here even with lifted rules.

Such stuff has no chance at WV, it flops constantly. Recent tries to incorporate OM taste in WV have failed unfortunately.

In the end it's for participants to choose the necessity of this feature. Maybe mods should make a voting and let all the jurors have their say. I'm all in for any decision the majority agrees upon. But if we gave it a try for at least one edition, it would be more clear.

Amir

Veteran
There are a lot of unique artists, including POCs, outside of OM area (Australia, Europe, Americas) that sing completely in OM style (not brainless radio pop). Some of them still cannot be sent here even with lifted rules.

Such stuff has no chance at WV, it flops constantly. Recent tries to incorporate OM taste in WV have failed unfortunately.

In the end it's for participants to choose the necessity of this feature. Maybe mods should make a voting and let all the jurors have their say. I'm all in for any decision the majority agrees upon. But if we gave it a try for at least one edition, it would be more clear.

What kind of artists do you mean? If there is for example a Chinese from Germany who can't be sent for China for whatever reason while basically every Israeli can be sent for Yemen, a country that doesn't even recognize Israel, then we should rather think about being more tolerant about making the Chinese artist eligible instead of including Germany through a wild card into the contest.

Also what is that OM taste you are talking about? No offense but OM is 90% Pot B pop (or it used to be at least).
Maybe it's just my personal impression but WV is more diverse, and so are the winners in WV.
Eventually it's the people and their taste that make a contest. OM is mainly what it is because there are barely any WV Pot E and Pot F members here.

Also what is that OM taste you are talking about? No offense but OM is 90% Pot B pop (or it used to be at least).
Maybe it's just my personal impression but WV is more diverse, and so are the winners in WV.
Eventually it's the people and their taste that make a contest. OM is mainly what it is because there are barely any WV Pot E and Pot F members here.
You really do have valuable points in this discussion and you are right about issues that the Wild Card Country rule might have in its current state. Well done pal!
xheat

I think Vlad meant that entries are rewarded differently depending on the contest the entry is in. "OM taste" right now is just B, D, and eastern ethnic F with only 20 people voting. As an alternative from South East Asia would do far better in OM than in WV which has semis and is heavily western-oriented. You are definitely spot-on that the lack of the omnipresent Pot E/F players makes the way the OM is as a contest, that's why the contest was made in the first place. As many of the OM winners would be horrendously underrated in WV. Not that the winners of WV are that much worse, but WV appears more diverse simply because of having a much bigger player base. This would naturally make the overall taste more varied, but I feel that the entries that do succeed in WV aren't for the same reason why OM is B-dominated. The difference is that OM has less than 25 players that are like the same unity, while WV has 50+ players with a divided community that isn't even on the same page on what they want WV to be.

The Wild Card entry would be entirely different in OM than what it would be in WV, but I do agree that this rule has problems that have to be addressed. And everyone's options against it here will be taken into account as this rule can be improved even further. Also doing polls here so everyone can vote whatever we agree or not on certain suggestions so far.

However, I will my own input regarding this despite me being a mod. This will be given as a question, what countries should be included in the Wild Card actually? Should all Western European + Anglo countries be removed and only include the rest (Latin America, Atlantic islands, and some few more countries)?

This has been stated before by someone else, but this is a crucial thing to bring up as having a European entry in OM can ruin it for some, however... These countries can have diverse music scenes, like how Nunavut as a Canadian region is played in WV and some of these entries would fit alright in OM.

So your options are crucial to making this work.

Thank you for your rants. xheart

Orient Matsuri

We have heard your feedback and critique about the Wild Card Country Rule.

Now we have added a poll you all can vote if the Wild Card Country Rule will be introduced to OM or not.

If the majority will get yes, then we can go forward with the Wild Card Country Rule and add polls about other suggestions before the rule will go live. Like suggestion of countries being randomly allocated.

The poll will last for 5 days, DDL 1st July 23:00

Orient Matsuri

To conclude the poll results:
Yes: 3
No: 9

The No" option got the majority vote and this will mean that The Wild Card Country Rule will not be used in Orient Matsuri.

The participants have spoken. Thank you everyone for taking your time with the feedback/options we got and voting in the poll.

The OM mod team has more ideas and concepts we are experimenting with. We will announce those when the mod team has the opportunity to do so.

This thread will be locked this Monday, until then you are welcome to post before leaving this conservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom