Contact us

Wild Card Country, NO gets majority vote.

Should we go forward with the Wild Card Country Rule?

• Yes

3 25.0%
  • No

9 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orient Matsuri

OM will turn 2 years old in a few days and we are preparing our 2nd-year anniversary celebration which will take place very soon. Another way we are going to celebrate this event is to add a new eligible country to OM, the Wild Card Country!

A Wild Card country isn't just a specific country you play as, but you use it to send entries from any country in the world! You can send entries from Bulgaria, Colombia Greenland, New Zealand, Dominican Republic, etc through this! Very similar to how a nation in NSC plays but everyone can play or occupy the Wild Card country as any other eligible country in OM.

But how does a Wild Card entry work in practice then?

Below is the preliminary text of rules about how the Wild Card Country/Entry is going to work and to make it as fair as possible

1. A Wild Card Country functions like its own playable country, but a Wild Card Entry is from any other country outside the OM eligibility area.
• e.g. Argentina, Colombia, Bulgaria, Greenland, New Zealand, The Bahamas and etc.

2. A Wild Card Entry can also be from any country within the OM eligibility area.

3. Only one wild card country/entry can be played per edition.

4. You can switch into a Wild Card Country in the 'Orient Express: Jury Switching' thread during the submission period.

5. Once you switch to a Wild Card Country you can only play with it for 1 edition as opposed to the regular 5 editions for countries within the OM eligibility area. After playing with it for 1 edition, your Wild Card Country becomes ”free-to-take”. If no one takes your Wild Card Country after that edition, you still have to switch to an eligible country.

6. You can however reoccupy the Wild Card Country after the time span of 3 editions.
• e.g. If you lost the rights to the Wild Card Country in OM 32, you can preserve it for OM 35.

7. When you are switching to a Wild Card Country, your previous country becomes free for anyone to occupy during the submission period.
• e.g. Armenia was used by Juror A from OM25 to OM27. If you want to take a Wild Card Country for OM28, Armenia will be available for anyone to occupy during the OM28 submission period.

8. The Wild Card Entry should be intact within the realm of what an OM entry is. The mod team will control the validation of the sent wild card entry during the submission period.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Do you have options and suggestions on how we can improve this set of rules or the Wild Card Country idea overall?

Feel free to write in this thread or send a PM to @Orient Matsuri

The Wild Card country can be played in OM 40 and forward.

Prepare for your jury switch!

Have fun!

world_flags_globe_2.gif

Amir

Veteran
So does this mean (especially point 8) that it should give room to Asian/African/“exotic” music from all over the world or will it also give room to morons who want to spam the contest with Adele and Ed Sheeran?

Fierro

So does this mean (especially point 8) that it should give room to Asian/African/“exotic” music from all over the world or will it also give room to morons who want to spam the contest with Adele and Ed Sheeran?
I think p.8 in the above post pretty much clarifies this. Mod team will control if the entry reflects OM spirit to prevent feature abuse.

hijirio

Veteran
I think it means all my bribes for a good draw have collected to a big pile of money to allow Chalga in OM xfaint
Ani Hoang is coming xheat

Can you make the wild-card give a completely random country?
When you take this card, you don't exactly know what country will you get.
Hmm, we have never thought of that. Though, I think it's better to just send an entry from any country you like. But there can also be pros for having the country randomly given when taking the wild card country.

We can definitely discuss if getting a random country is a better idea or not.

hijirio

Veteran

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hijirio

Veteran
Mmh. I have my reservations about the necessity of this new feature.
I agree, with emphasis on 'necessity'. I'm not against the idea per se, but I find myself dwelling on the necessity of it, as we already have a mere 20-25 members and many Asian countries are vacant at the moment.

If the point is to add a twist, then Mira's suggestion sounds like a fun tweak.

If the point is to allow singers of ABU area origin living in a non-ABU area, this can be fixed with a slight rule change rather than bringing non-ABU countries to the contest.

MiraShadowMan

If the point is to allow singers of ABU area origin living in a non-ABU area, this can be fixed with a slight rule change rather than bringing non-ABU countries to the contest.
Well, we've already edited rule 2 (read the rule!), so singers from non-ABU countries of ABU area origin can be brought.

hijirio

Veteran

Uto

Veteran
I think this is a good idea. Wildcard idea is meh as it is. This would turn the wildcard into a lottery ticket and something exciting for everyone.

Orient Matsuri

Hi everyone! We going to share an update about the Wild Country rule. As Mira's suggestion about a wild card country getting randomly allocated got really popular in this thread, we will confirm that this suggestion will now be officially used! (y)

Update to rule 1 and rule 4.

1. A Wild Card Country functions like its own playable country, but a Wild Card Entry is from any other country outside the OM eligibility area randomly allocated to a player by the mod team.
• e.g. Argentina, Colombia, Bulgaria, Greenland, New Zealand, The Bahamas and etc.

4. You can switch into a Wild Card Country in the 'Orient Express: Jury Switching' thread during the submission period. You will then be informed by the Orient Matsuri account in PM which country you will be randomly allocated to.

• e.g. If you get Country A, you must send an entry from Country A.

Since it's one more edition before The Wild Card Country will go live in OM 40, we want you to ask for your options about rule 2:

2. A Wild Card Entry can also be from any country within the OM eligibility area.

As getting a country is random now through the Wild Card Country, Rule 2 might have a negative effect now as no one wants to get an eligible OM country randomly when the intention is to get something unusual/exciting. So we might remove rule 2 altogether, but we want everyone to be on board for this.

Should we remove rule 2 for the benefit of the changes in the rules?

Thank you for participating, and also for making OM a strong and fabulous community.

Mod team​

Mainshow

Veteran
I heavily dislike the idea of including a wild card country, to be honest.
We can already take any countries from Turkey to several Islands in Oceania - from Russia to South Africa.
There's no void to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom