Contact us

Why were the votes so polarized?

Fluke

Here are this year's points (far right) compared to the last 4 years.

30u2u0z.jpg

I'm sure you all know what i mean, but let's go into it a bit. I thought already just halfway through the voting that they were unusually distributed. There were 3 entries that got over 300 points (well, Italy almost did), while most of the previous years there hasn't even been one! But there were only 8 entries total that got over 100 points, while the previous 4 years had 11, 9, 9 and 6. There were also a record 8 entries that got under 20 points, the previous years had 1,3,7 and 3. And of course a whooping 2 entries with 0 points - which has never happened in the final for as long as there's been one, let alone to the host, and only 2 times in the semi before.

Both of those entries were DTF and Germanic, and they were actually high on the list of personal favorites even for many non-ESC fans, even if nobody really expected them to do very well. One may easily conclude that juries and televoters both shunned them because they didn't want Austria or Germany to host again. But both of them would actually have gotten points if juries alone had been used, Austria on 30th place even, and by televotes alone, at least Germany. It was only in the combination of the two they suffered, thus drawing the obvious conclusion that the juries voted down these entries in the countries most likely to vote for them.

Screen-Shot-2015-05-24-at-14.43.31.png

So without the knowledge of the full split results, one would conclude that the extreme polarization this year is because juries voted more alike each other than before, suggesting some kind of scheming going on. However, viewing the jury results by themselves shows it to be more complicated. Obviously they voted down the "unwanted" entries specifically in those countries where those entries were popular, wether it was a conspiracy or not, that is obviously the reason for the result. Germany's 24 jury points and 5 televote points came from countries where the other part-televotes or juries-ranked them extremely low.

But why? That's not clear, obviously. The televotes by themselves give a more even distribution, though still with a very high scoring winner, and 5 entries with less than 10 points.

Another point of content were the strange interruptions during the reporting of the votes. Could these interruptions have anything to do with the jury votes being fixed, or the televotes faked to some extent? Were the votes "changed" for some reason (the results from the other countries weren't what they expected) and that's what caused the break, or were they already transferred to the headquarters set in stone at the time they were announced? It's hard not to become suspicious, and i'm wondering what your theories are about it.

Sim

Another point of content were the strange interruptions during the reporting of the votes. Could these interruptions have anything to do with the jury votes being fixed, or the televotes faked to some extent? Were the votes "changed" for some reason (the results from the other countries weren't what they expected) and that's what caused the break, or were they already transferred to the headquarters set in stone at the time they were announced? It's hard not to become suspicious, and i'm wondering what your theories are about it.

As far as I know all votes are transferred to HQ before voting starts, so no votes can be changed.
IMO the best 6 songs indeed received almost always the highest votes, because they were the best

DanielLuis

True sim. In a field of 27 entries it's normal the best and most memorable entries manage to finish much higher than the rest. The people will only reember those more memorable songs and it's only normal that with 27 songs competing for only 10 places getting points the amount that gets fewer points is much bigger.

FilipFromSweden

This year there we're 3 songs that we're truly worth winning (Italy, Russia, Sweden) and those where the ones people talked about discussing who was going to win. There we're other songs that had a high quality aswell but not on the same level as Italy, Russia and Sweden. Other than that, the others didn't serve much competition at all.

The top 3 this year must be one of the strongest ever. Almost no one has gotten as many televotes as Il Volo or as many jury votes as Måns Zelmerlöv. No one has ever finished 2nd with over 300 points and no top 3 has ever had such high amount of points. 303 points is actually the 4th biggest amount of points ever, beating all who has ever won the competition except for Loreen, Alexander and Måns.

MyHeartIsYours

I cannot believe that the 10th placed entry only got 50 something points... in 2011, we came one position lower but with 100 points! The top 9 hogged all the points this year, and this is the reason why some good but not spectacular entries came right down at the bottom - thinking UK, Germany, Spain, Hungary and Lithuania - and why others did well but should have done better - thinking Norway and Azerbaijan.

The reason for this is that, contrary to popular opinion amongst fans, this year was top-class standard of music, with pretty much all finalists being worthy of points, but of course, only 10 can be so lucky per country.

Dante

Italy and Sweden were real contenders from the very beginning. Russia came a bit later but with strong support as well. The top 3 was pretty obvious after the semis, I think there was a lot of anti-vote in the televoting.

Terence

Simple thing - only a handful of songs stood out. True, there was no clear winner, but there weren't much songs screaming 'Winner' this year, and at the end, the public/juries went for a selected few.

Top Bottom