Contact us

Who will get the Grey vote?

Fluke

The older part of the televoters are an important factor all over the voting countries, but they are always unaccounted for in the odds and other speculations. The main receivers last year were probably Germany, Lithuania, France and Ireland's old fashioned ballads, Italy's overly wordy folk-schlager (with the oldest performers in the final) and Moldova's classic theatrical farce. But who will they help to an unexpectedly high score this year?

There's actually a lot of takers here. The only literal senior entry this year would be San Marino, and they'll probably benefit from it if they just manage to make the final.

Moldova, Croatia and Serbia all bring old school east bloc pop that's sure to get the hearts and phones rustling among elderlies of the east who hate the last 30 years of music, and politics :lol:

Georgia, Poland and Hungary go straight out ethnic, which is never a sure success in the contest, but i think Georgia's nostalgic and patriotic sentiment might strike especially well, if it's not too specifically Georgian for other countries. Portugal of course, has a strong ethnic element, but might be too experimental, and peculiarly Portuguese to appeal to the greys, but can still do very well for other reasons.

Macedonias timeless, well-written dramatic ballad might also benefit, though it could even do well with all ages. Russia and Israel can also be contenders here, i guess it depends on wether you love or hate the country :cool:

Latvia's minimalist country, Germany's highly personal sister duet and Montenegro's smooth polyphonic pop could be surprise recepients of grey points, though they're also as likely to flop.

UK along with Sweden has a classic, anthematic pop feel, and i feel UK especially is a bit underrated by most, they might finish "left side" and the grey votes will be a factor if they do.

Italy has got the old - and young - mid-eastern votes in his hand, along with France who might be "too weird" for the more conservative ones, but on the other hand might benefit from a kind of "cute factor". Italy also appeals to general fans of Italophone music, who are surprisingly many all over Europe.

Finally Czechia and Denmark could get grey votes from the same "cute factor", the former especially, but it's also likely to get a lot of young girls votes.

So which one's of these do you think will actually do well? I say Serbia, Hungary, Macedonia, Russia, UK, Italy and France.

HayashiM

Veteran
The older part of the televoters are an important factor all over the voting countries, but they are always unaccounted for in the odds and other speculations. The main receivers last year were probably Germany, Lithuania, France and Ireland's old fashioned ballads, Italy's overly wordy folk-schlager (with the oldest performers in the final) and Moldova's classic theatrical farce.

All six of those made it to my top 15 last year! Thanks for making me a greyhead despite my age of 27 :D

To answer your question, I think the songs that will benefit from the Grey vote this year will be San Marino, Croatia, Hungary, Albania, Israel, Sweden and Denmark.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Sergey, lol. (hint nr #1: Mauve loves him and he doesn't suck (well not metaphorically anyway~))

midnightsun

Veteran
If I remember what my mum and dad (both around 70 now) used to like in the past, it were actually the mainstream Western pop songs or ballads.
Common Linnets, Blanche, Laura Tesoro, Waylon, Norma John, Ogene, Raphael Gualazzi, Il Volo, Sanna and stuff like that.

Alaska49

once again nobody this year is fit to carry michal szpak's crown in this demographic

ireland, montenegro and germany all hypothetically do what the grey vote wants but lol they will all obviously flop. i guess older people will have just to vote for sweden and russia in semi 2 and.......... greece in semi 1 i dunno? semi 1 is not gen x friendly at all

Gitte

once again nobody this year is fit to carry michal szpak's crown in this demographic

ireland, montenegro and germany all hypothetically do what the grey vote wants but lol they will all obviously flop. i guess older people will have just to vote for sweden and russia in semi 2 and.......... greece in semi 1 i dunno? semi 1 is not gen x friendly at all

With 'grey vote' I thought, like, legit OLD people. Grandparents. My parents are early gen X and I still fall in the teen demographic (on the border of it though, by Eurovision I'll be 18)

Anyway, my mother would probably like Germany. She also liked Moldova last year, and Denmark, so you might be right that the grey vote includes gen x'ers.

Alaska49

lmao i already count gen x as the grey vote. is that bad? they aren't old OLD but they are older than most fans...

midnightsun

Veteran
So as a Gen Xer, I am the grey vote then! :lol: So concerning my votes... yeah, they are probably outside the usual ESC bubble... Israel, Finland, San Marino... well, technically they don't get my votes, except for Israel, because they perform in semi 1 and Germany votes in semi 2 but... :D

So, I also thought, the grey votes are the ones from my parents (almost 70).

I think, the Netherlands will be popular amongst them (not my parents, the grey voters), but I also think, Lithuania has a chance, or Sweden, Austria, Macedonia.

MyHeartIsYours

My Nanna (who loved Eurovision) would have liked Spain I think... she loved that Spanish get up and dance sound lol.

VikingTiger

lmao i already count gen x as the grey vote. is that bad? they aren't old OLD but they are older than most fans...

Are they? I'm generation X, and going to the Eurovision I see lots of fans in their late 30, 40s and older. And without knowing it, I am guessing that the OGAE members are mostly gen X.
Gen X grew up with the "good old days" with few TV channels to choose from - and thus the yearly Eurovision gathered the western european people more than today; simply because there was no other show on tv, no internet, no gaming, no mobile phones, no...

midnightsun

Veteran
In my family only the younger ones liked Serhat :D

My mum‘s favourite was Estonia. Don’t ask me why...
She‘s 67, by the way.

Top Bottom