Contact us

Who was this Sjonni whose friends are performing for Iceland?

alefein

I want to start this thread by making it absolutely clear that my goal is not to try to get you to vote for the Icelandic song in this year's Eurovision song contest. I simply want to share with you the story of the man originally behind it, who tragically passed away before he could participate in the contest. It might also help you put the song in a new perspective, but like I said, all that is irrelevent.

The Icelandic song has struck me as a song that many people love and many people also don't really like. In my opinion it seems that most eastern europeans aren't that impressed with it but when we move further south and west, it seems to be more appreciated. But who is the man behind this song?

His name was Sigurjon Brink, better known as Sjonni, born on august 29th 1974. He was always passionate about music and had the fortune of spending the last 10 years of his life making a living in this wonderful industry.

He put together his first band in his teenage years and started as a drummer and the main song writer. But with time, he started singing more and he was in fact a very good singer.

His last solo album came in the year 2009 and was quite popular in Iceland. He was in a band when he passed away though, called Rokk, and their most popular song was "Love is you" that they released in honor of John Lennon at his 70th birthday.

He was also an actor and participated in plenty of Icelandic version of plays such as Le Sing, Cuckoos Cabaret, Footloos and Woycheck. When he died, he was playing the part of Richie Valens in the musical Buddy Holly.

Late Sjonni's wife is actress Þórunn Erna Clausen and they have four children. Aron Brink who is 15, Kristín María Brink who is 10, Haukur Brink who is five and Róbert Brink who is 2 years old. He will be greatly missed by them and also the whole country.

There are no arguements that Yohanna's song in our Eurovision pre-contest this year was probably a better song, at least Eurovision wise. But the Icelandic country didn't care this time. We wanted to honor his memory and allow his message to be spread to the whole of Europe for the last time. We are happy and proud of having this song on stage in Dusseldorf, being performed by his best friends.

Here are a few videos of and songs by Sjonni, for those who might be interested:

Sjonni - Love is you:

An interview with Sjonni (English subtitles) for the Icelandic pre contest 2010, where he performed the song Waterslide alongside many of his friends who are on stage in Dusseldorf tomorrow:

Here they are after the Icelandic final rehearsal in 2010:

Sjonni and his friends performing Waterslide in 2010:

Unfortunately I could not find his already recorded version of the song Coming Home online.

553051.jpg

sigurjon_brink2_jpg_900x1300_q95.jpg

sigurjon.jpg

His coffin, beautifully decorated by his children:
DV1101273288_01_1_jpg_800x1200_q95.jpg

RIP Sjonni Brink and may your music live forever.

Top Bottom