Contact us

Who is the worst recent ESC winner?

Which ESC winning song are you least likely to want to listen to again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LakZaNokte

Tbh, neither will be remembered or mentioned in 10-15 years, not to say after that.

It all comes down to who is still known even with “not a raging esc fan” people.
In this millenium, as I notice, everyone remembers only Lordi. Reasons various. But that is the fact.

Personally, I am under impression that last 5 years somehow fused into one undefined blob (not only winners).

Jukica

(Retired) Admin
:se: 2015

hijirio

Veteran
:pt:

Since 2009, the year I started following this contest, my last places have never qualified to the final.

Until 2017, my DEAD LAST place wins Eurovision Song Contest with RECORDBREAKING 400+ points! (with the old system)

Seeing your least favourite song win by landslide, I don't know what could be worse for an esc fan......

Thank you, :pt: for leaving me in awe and making me experience this horrendous feeling.

I hope I don't have the same feeling once again in my life.
Disappointment, frustration and a tad of anger........

Bibha

:pt:

Since 2009, the year I started following this contest, my last places have never qualified to the final.

Until 2017, my DEAD LAST place wins Eurovision Song Contest with RECORDBREAKING 400+ points! (with the old system)

Seeing your least favourite song win by landslide, I don't know what could be worse for an esc fan......

Thank you, :pt: for leaving me in awe and making me experience this horrendous feeling.

I hope I don't have the same feeling once again in my life.
Disappointment, frustration and a tad of anger........

I absolutely understand your feeling!
Portugal wasn't my last place...it was 28th or something for me but Portugal's win was not good for ESC in the long run.

It was a novelty act, not in the sense that it was a joke , but for the average music listener of today they would immediately switch to a different song if this started playing on their phone/tv/radio with no context. A novelty act cause it's longevity is for one live performance.

Yes Bulgaria would have been a better winner and Belgium was the obvious standout last year....it did better in Spotify charts across Europe than did Portugal in terms of longevity despite not winning.
I hope people this time vote for longevity and not novelty.

joancamo

:ua: because out of these years is the only one I disliked the winner. If 2011 was included this would have been my choice. 2011 was the worst winner of this decade.

Brandt

Heroes is my second favourite winner since 2000, and my number 1 winner in the last decade. It is quite upsetting to see it runner up on the poll at the moment. Only Teardrops was a big favourite but I believe people got sick of it quickly after the contest, that's what makes it remembered so bad. But I remember those days crystal clear when Denmark was a big hit amount fans.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
why did you exclude running scared??? it would be such an easy choice for me!!!!!!

considering these, either only teardrops or amar pelos dois, since they are the only ones who aren't in my faves playlist

Playfulmitch

Well I love the Azerbaijan winner- one of my favourites. Of course, song was written by Swedes - as are half the entries these days! Portugal was so over-rated. I think it won because it came at a time when people were getting sick of all entries being in English so they were charmed by the Portuguese song. But when you read the lyrics in English you realise it's just a very bland generic love song

Iker

Veteran
Azerbaijan was the worst - semi-catchy bland pop duo song with off-tune vocals to make it worse, just lame, Denmark (Only Teardrops) underwhelming for me but it was a big hit among fans.

The other winners from this decade were fine.

Franzilein

I think I go with 1944. The only winners I was (sort of) content with were Sweden 2012 and Denmark 2013.

I really dislike Austria's song in 2014, but I remember the feeling of being completely devastated (in a good way) when I watched Conchita in the final. She completely blew me away with her live performance, even though I wished that the Netherlands had won that year.

While I kind of like Heroes as an individual song, it will always be tainted as the "jury's winner" for me. Still cannot get over the injustice that happened to Il Volo xcry1

I didn't really care for Portugal's victory last year. Song was alright, the win wasn't undeserved, so I'm cool with it xshrug

1944 however brought politics and bad blood to the Eurovision stage, which is a huge no-go for me. We got some priceless reactions out of that, e.g. the faces of the Russian delegation after Jamala's win had been announced, but overall it was just unnecessary drama and provocation at an event which proclaims itself to be free of politics (and the shitshow continued in 2017, this time from Russia's side. So unnecessary).
But even if the lyrics and the meaning of the song were changed, I found the song itself and Jamala's voice (or rather the sound of her voice) pretty dreadful, so yeah. Ukraine 2016 definitely the worst recent winner in my opinion.

Alaska49

glad to see jamala having little votes after the dami zone this board became in may 2016

also DAMN RIGHT that azerbaijan would sweep this if included. worst winners ever.

midnightsun

Veteran
Don‘t agree. Running scared wasn‘t my favourite and we (I hosted a Eurovision party with friends that day) were truly surprised that it won, but none of us thought it was bad. If I remember correctly, Azerbaijan was about 6-10th in my top list. In fact, after Austria 2014 and Sweden 2015 it would be my no 3 of the best winners this decade. Don’t like any of the others except those three mentioned above.

MyHeartIsYours

Since I've been watching (15 years), easily 1944. Dreadful song!

Rise Like A Pheonix was probably the best.

GRE

I am a bit surprised that there is battle here.
Really ?
I was never a fan of Amar pelos dios, but this doesn't mean I don't respect it as a song.
On the other hand Denmark 2013 is similar to Sweden 2015, but it's more melodic.

FilipFromSweden

:ua: 2016

Top Bottom