Contact us

Which Swedish city to host ESC 2013?

Gizur

There will be no decision today, according to SVT this afternoon. The meetings today was not about cities or arenas. No further info on when such a decision will be made.

Meanwhile, the politicians in each city are working on getting the ESC2013. The mayor of Stockholm, Sten Nordin, sent out a press realease this morning that the city has preliminary booked 3000 hotel rooms for the event, to comply with EBU demands. The brand new Friends Arena would be great for such an event, according to the Stockholmers.

His Göteborg counterpart says the city is well prepared for the event, with the Scandinavium Arena located in the middle of the city they can make festivities around the arena.

In Malmö, of course, the politicians claim their city would be best for ESC. Their top politician Ilmar Reepalu says that it's important that the city is presented in a "positive context" (for once, he could have added). He says that they have a top modern arena and that the city is close to Copenhagen with a large airport.

Fluke

Seriously, it makes no sense to have the ESC anywhere but Friends/Swedbank Arena, the MF final though, they should consider giving to another city, as it's always been Stockholm for many years now....

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I have a feeling that there will be just as much interest in tickets as we had in Germany last year and those tickets sold out immediately. I hope for a venue with at least 40.000 seats.

A-lister

Veteran
Every year the final is in Stockholm, but both Malmö and Gothenburg has got a semi each.

That'd be impossible moving around the fans like that.

I'd say Friends Arena Stockholm (Solna) 100%

Stockholm is the most logical city to showcase to Europe and to be host for such a big event, and we'll have a major arena which will be all fresh and new aswell.

Knubelznarm

I want the place with the biggest arena which will be Friends Arena in Stockholm as far as i've understood.

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
At today's meeting in the SVT was not made a final decision on which city will the 58th Eurovision Song Contest. Traditionally regarded Stockholm (as the venue is considered Friends Arena with a capacity of more than 60ti thousands of spectators, as the Ericsson Globe in the numbers engaged in the World Cup of Hockey), Gothenburg (possible venue - Scandinavium, can accommodate 14,000 spectators) and Malmo (possible venue - Malmö Arena, with capacity for 15,400 people). Also, as a possible venue for the competition in Malmo is open in April, the 2009go Swedbank Stadion with a capacity of just over 20 million viewers. The city, which will Eurovision 2013 will be known within the next month.

A-lister

Veteran
^
20 million ? :lol:

I hope it won't be Malmö. It's nothing I would show to foreigners, the Simon Wiesenthal Center even have an official warning for Jews to go there.

FallenAngelII

So Malmö is really dangerous, right?
It's like a Scandinavian Harlem. Some parts of the city are almost constantly experiencing riots, car burnings and major crime.

Gothenburg is nice, but it's still smallish and that stadium is kinda small. Remember, they're gonna have to put a huge stage and green room, plus booths for the commentators in there. That capacity number is for "normal" concerts. And I've seen pictures of the place, it's pretty shabby-looking. It's going to need some major renovations to be ESC-worthy. As for the rest of the city, it's OK, but not great.

I don't get why people are even discussing any city other than Stockholm as the host city. Stockholm is where the Royal Family is, where Parliament is and where the biggest arena in Sweden is. Sweden has everything. Also, Sweden is the only city in Sweden with in excess of 1 million inhabitants (close to 2, actually). There'd be absolutely no question about the sufficiency of hotel capacity, restaurant seats and and entertainment value.

The only reason why people want it to be anywhere other than Stockholm is laziness (Swedes who want it to be held closer to where they live). My Goddess, Malmö being a serious contender.

Anca

A friend of mine lives in Göteborg. So, I hope they will host the ESC 2013 there. *fingers crossed* xyes

CPV4931

Because I maybe want to go to Sweden for ESC, Friends Arena in Stockholm would be nice because of the bigger chance to get tickets.

A-lister

Veteran
It's like a Scandinavian Harlem. Some parts of the city are almost constantly experiencing riots, car burnings and major crime.

Gothenburg is nice, but it's still smallish and that stadium is kinda small. Remember, they're gonna have to put a huge stage and green room, plus booths for the commentators in there. That capacity number is for "normal" concerts. And I've seen pictures of the place, it's pretty shabby-looking. It's going to need some major renovations to be ESC-worthy. As for the rest of the city, it's OK, but not great.

I don't get why people are even discussing any city other than Stockholm as the host city. Stockholm is where the Royal Family is, where Parliament is and where the biggest arena in Sweden is. Sweden has everything. Also, Sweden is the only city in Sweden with in excess of 1 million inhabitants (close to 2, actually). There'd be absolutely no question about the sufficiency of hotel capacity, restaurant seats and and entertainment value.

The only reason why people want it to be anywhere other than Stockholm is laziness (Swedes who want it to be held closer to where they live). My Goddess, Malmö being a serious contender.

Exactly. Stockholm is the only logical choice, both in terms of the city itself and the Arena (Friends Arena).

Malmö has been a politicians' playground for a couple of decades now, and the result is nothing I would be proud of showing off to visitors quite frankly.

eerik

A-lister

Veteran
Malmö is the city of immigrants, even the mayor is Estonian.

Well, being an immigrant city (or what I would call: politicians' project) wouldn't necessarily have to been a bad thing though... problem is it is (for different reasons not to be discussed here).

And the mayor talks openly about "Jewish world-wide order".. he's a complete moron.

Quent91

Well, being an immigrant city (or what I would call: politicians' project) wouldn't necessarily have to been a bad thing though... problem is it is (for different reasons not to be discussed here).

And the mayor talks openly about "Jewish world-wide order".. he's a complete moron.

Yes, I already read about the fear of Jewish people in this city because the politics don't care about them and they are persecuted by the others immigrants communities :?

A-lister

Veteran
Yes, I already read about the fear of Jewish people in this city because the politics don't care about them and they are persecuted by the others immigrants communities :?

By the Muslim community to be correct.. or some parts of it atleast. The mayor seems to be anti-semitic aswell and is too busy trying to gain the muslim votes so he doesn't care what's going on... quite frank he doesn't care about anything, for a decade or so most people that look sort of Swedish or western European have been harassed or even worse in this city. No, this is not a side of Sweden I want to show.

Top Bottom