Contact us

Which of the pre-qualified entries would have qualified if they had to compete in the semi-finals?

Which of the pre-qualified entries would have qualified if they had to compete in the semi-finals?

• :es: Amanecer - Edurne (SF1)

56 73.7%
  • :at: I Am Yours - The Makesmakes (SF1)

28 36.8%
  • :fr: N'oubliez pas - Lisa Angell (SF1)

14 18.4%
  • :au: Tonight Again - Guy Sebastian (SF1)

62 81.6%
  • :it: Grande Amore - Il Volo (SF2)

65 85.5%
  • :uk: Still In Love With You - Electro Velvet (SF2)

20 26.3%
  • :de: Black Smoke - Ann Sophie (SF2)

36 47.4%

• Total voters

tsegaye

I've thought of this alot every year, because almost every year there is at least one pre-qualified entry in the bottom of the final and that's why I wanted to ask this question. Which countries would've qualified if they were to perform in the semi-finals? To narrow the discussion a bit we can assume that the countries were to perform in the semi-final they have been drawn to vote in. Beacause of the uneven semi-finals we can say Australia were to perform in semi-final 1 :D

carl1

Italy and Australia definitely.
Spain and Germany probably.
No chance for the others :cool:

GermanBango

I guess :es: :de: :au:
:it: only with the right countries in it's semi
:at: :uk: and :fr: never ever

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Spain, Australia & Italy.

Here's a list of who I think would have qualified every year since 2004 out of the big 4/5

SuperGirl

Australia, Spain, Austria and Germany.

I love UK's entry. This is the one I really want to do really well. But I'm not sure they will.

Italy's song is horrible, overrated. But since they are the juries love babies they will do undeservely well.

France will not have any chance at all.

Edit: I forgot Austria. I think they would qualify to final if they needed it.

eerik

Obviously none. Sweden would take all of their places. The only reason these countries are even able to participate in the Eurovision Song Contest is simply because Sweden allows them.

Halldor

I think they all could've qualified this year, Italy, Australia and Spain would've surely qualified, Austria, Germany would be around 8th in the semi final and then France and UK would've pulled a surprise qualification and been around 5th.

CrimTV

Obviously none. Sweden would take all of their places. The only reason these countries are even able to participate in the Eurovision Song Contest is simply because Sweden allows them.

What? No it's because they are the biggest contributors to the EBU. What's Sweden got to do with it?

eerik

What? No it's because they are the biggest contributors to the EBU. What's Sweden got to do with it?

Yes yes. Sweden is the best country in the world, if you think otherwise you're just jealous because you're not from Sweden. Sweden could win Eurovision every year, but, you know, sometimes you just must let your poor peasant friends win too or else they will stop playing with you.

FilipFromSweden

:au: :at: :es: :it:

FilipFromSweden

That was just unneccesary

CrimTV

Yes yes. Sweden is the best country in the world, if you think otherwise you're just jealous because you're not from Sweden. Sweden could win Eurovision every year, but, you know, sometimes you just must let your poor peasant friends win too or else they will stop playing with you.

Oh sarcasm... curse the internet.

EDIT: I've just read some of SuperGirl's posts. I see.

aletem

Italy, Germany, Australia and UK (depending on the choreo).

Carrie

:at: - Dorians but with less impact, would have been 12-14th.
:au: - Wouldn't have got people voting and the juries wouldn't put it to high.
:de: - Sadly I think this would fail in the semis. Couldn't see anyone getting too behind it.

:es: - A strong ballad, definitely would get the televoters and juries going.
:it: - The juries would like this a lot more than the televoters.
:fr: - This builds well and the juries would adore it.
:uk: - Quirky enough to get the televoters going, maybe able to get the juries to let it through.

Mickey

:it: Italy would obviously get through. It'll be a hit with both juries and public and will probably get top ten in the final.

:uk: I'd say the UK is the next most certain qualifier. It's quite simply the only fun song in the whole contest. The people who voted for Pollaponk or Koza Mostra or Jedward will vote for this.

:au: Australia would probably get through simply via the novelty of being Australia and the massive publicity they've had.

:de: I like Germany, it's a very well made pop song and Ann Sophie is a charismatic performer. I worry that as another German wildcard winner, she'll get no support with the staging in Vienna. Elaiza's staging was non-existant last year. She's still a strong maybe, more likely to get through than not.

:es: I'm still to be convinced by Spain. I know a lot of people like it, but it doesn't do a whole lot for me. It has the potential to be very good live, though.

:at: I don't think Austria would qualify if they weren't the host country. I find it quite generic and forgettable. It's a nice song, don't get me wrong, just one I feel like I've heard a thousand times before.

:fr: France would have no chance.

ZoboCamel

:it: :es: - Obvious qualifiers. I'd expect the qualification odds on these to be at 1.05 or lower if they were in the semis, and there'd be a huge shock if they didn't get through.

:au: - We'd probably get through, but considering all the unknown factors, votes for us could go anywhere. I wouldn't be shocked to see us end anywhere from 5th to 20th in the final, and I'd probably be prepared for a similar level of variation in the semis. A likely qualifier though.

:fr: :uk: :de: - I think they'd all be 50/50 chances for qualifying. Germany's quirky and fun but takes some time to warm to, UK definitely has its fans but only appeals to specific audiences, and France would likely rake in the jury votes but be starved for televotes. I'd expect them all to be borderline one way or another.

:at: - A likely non-qualifier. They'd have their chances, but we'd more likely see them out of the final than in it. I'd explain my thoughts, but other people have already put it very well in saying 'nice but forgettable' and 'Dorians with less impact'.

I do think this is the strongest year we've seen from the Big 5 for a long while, though. There's a likely winner (Italy), a convincing dark horse (Spain), a national-language traditional chanson (France), and a sense of upbeat quirkiness that's rare for this year (UK, Germany); I think they all offer something worthwhile.

Terence

Depends on who is in their semi, but :fr: would've died a painful death, and possibly :at: and :uk:
The rest would've gone through

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
I hope that the UK, France, Italy and Germany would have got through, but Austria's song is terrible and Spain just doesn't quite do it for me. UK and France don't seem too popular though, so I wouldn't be holding out huge amounts of hope that they get through were they to compete in the semis.

Top Bottom