Contact us

Which "favorites" will fail?

Earthland

So... every year there are a couple of songs that are predicted to reach a high place, even win, but will eventually not even qualify or will be amongst the last ones in the final.

I predict that France will fail. Impressive voice and different song are not what bring the success if the song is actually not liked by the masses. Oh, I'm sure that most people think it is a good song and so, but not many people come to mind who would actually put it on their ipods. Ipodishness (yes, I invented that word just now) is what defines success at eurovision.

So I think France will be somewhere between 10th and 20th place, which is a failure compared to the predictions.

I also think UK will not do as good as people think it will. I predict it will be around 7th place.

And Sweden will be somewhere near France.

Last edited:

eerik

Any place in the final between 2nd and 25th would be great for Estonia.

babadabada

So... every year there are a couple of songs that are predicted to reach a high place, even win, but will eventually not even qualify or will be amongst the last ones in the final.

I predict that France will fail. Impressive voice and different song are not what bring the success if the song is actually not liked by the masses. Oh, I'm sure that most people think it is a good song and so, but not many people come to mind who would actually put it on their ipods. Ipodishness (yes, I invented that word just now) is what defines success at eurovision.

So I think France will be somewhere between 10th and 20th place, which is a failure compared to the predictions.

I also think UK will not do as good as people think it will. I predict it will be around 7th place.

And Sweden will be somewhere near France.

Because you think Molitva was ipodishness? Don't think so, France is a sure Top 5 finisher!!

I think sweden will fall, as ireland will!!

dogmeat

It's kind of copy of "Kate Ryan" thread. Anyway...

I don't think "ipodishness" matters. The goal is to impress people in these 3 minutes, what happens after that makes no difference.
I also wouldn't say France is not liked by the masses. Sognu is actually a perfect example how you can successfully "mainstreamize" classical music and make it appealing to wide audience. Both juries' and televoters' 1st favorite, is my prediction.

Earthland

I don't think "ipodishness" matters. The goal is to impress people in these 3 minutes, what happens after that makes no difference.

Yes, exactly. And I can't imagine that someone would listen France first time and would immediately want this song to his/hers ipod. I've heard it many times and I still have no plans of that kind. I know noone who has, actually.

Strangely enough Rockefeller street is the only song on my mp3 and I think that this is also the most ipodish song in general. Sweden got close to my mp3, but that song actully works only with the video.

asia

france is a pretty good song and will do well with the juries, there is no way it will finish lower than tenth. estonia is second favourite in the contest and its the worst of the three baltic songs, if she gets past tonight its going to be a miracle. Other than that i see no other flounderers.......azerbaijan to win!!!!

doctormalisimo

The goal is to impress people in these 3 minutes, what happens after that makes no difference.

yeah, that^^
Most viewers aren't ESC fanatics, so they will only hear the songs for the first time tonight. So the winning songs are the ones that make the greatest impact in those 3 minutes.

JackBauer

I loosing more and more confidence in France every day, right now i'd happy with a top ten lol

alefein

I think the Swedish and Estonia songs will not be doing that good because they both sucked live. Or well, they were decent when it came to stage performance and all that, but they are not good singers at all. Eric Saade was obviously having trouble breathing because he was dancing pretty powerfully, and the Estonian one just doesn't have a strong voice live.

I don't know if Lena is a favorite or not, but I won't be expecting her to do good things..

MyHeartIsYours

France and Hungary imo :). When I say France, I think it'll be 5th which of course is far from failure but it is when they're expecting to win.

Charley

United Kingdom. It will flop, but not only because of bad vocals, but the fact that their 'fame' is not (or at least no longer) as big as their supporter have convinced themselves of. Neutral indicators like Google's prediction tool or YT view counts simply don't support the notion that Blue is still particularly popular in Europe.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Hungary will sink without a trace. So will Ireland now that I think about it. And if the jury have crapped on Blue, then they will fail as well. There is always a possibility that France will fail, but I think It's 70-30 in it's favour.

Top Bottom