Contact us

Which Country Has Self-Sabotage Herself This Year?

Which Is The Biggest Self-Sabotage Country This Year?

• Albania

0 0.0%
  • Armenia

2 5.4%
  • Australia

0 0.0%
  • Austria

0 0.0%
  • Azerbaijan

0 0.0%
  • Belarus

0 0.0%
  • Belgium

9 24.3%
  • Croatia

0 0.0%
  • Cyprus

7 18.9%
  • Czech Republic

0 0.0%
  • Denmark

0 0.0%
  • Estonia

0 0.0%
  • Finland

2 5.4%
  • France

1 2.7%
  • Georgia

0 0.0%
  • Germany

4 10.8%
  • Greece

0 0.0%
  • Hungary

0 0.0%
  • Iceland

0 0.0%
  • Ireland

0 0.0%
  • Israel

0 0.0%
  • Italy

0 0.0%
  • Latvia

0 0.0%
  • Lithuania

1 2.7%
  • Malta

0 0.0%
  • Moldova

0 0.0%
  • Montenegro

0 0.0%
  • Netherlands

1 2.7%
  • North Macedonia

0 0.0%
  • Norway

0 0.0%
  • Poland

0 0.0%
  • Portugal

4 10.8%
  • Romania

1 2.7%
  • Russia

1 2.7%
  • San Marino

1 2.7%
  • Serbia

0 0.0%
  • Slovenia

0 0.0%
  • Spain

1 2.7%
  • Sweden

0 0.0%
  • Switzerland

1 2.7%
  • United Kingdom

1 2.7%

• Total voters

crashworld

Veteran
We all have our favourites when the studio version/music video of the entry was released.
But then when the rehearsals start, expectations start to fall short (whether is it staging or 'live' vocals) to the point it seems like it's self-sabotage.
Or it could be the country has better options at the National Finals, but the final choice was lacklustre.

So for this year, which country do you think has effectively self-sabotage herself?

crashworld

Veteran
For me, the biggest self-sabotage country this year is Belgium.

I love this song to bits, but the staging is awful and has not helped to elevate the song at all and worst, effectively allow the entries around the song stood out even more.
Firstly, the drums, god, who in the right frame of mind would think that is a good component for the staging. It is such a mis-match.
Secondly, the costumes, the person who dressed Eliot and the drummers need to get shot.
Thirdly, the staging has underwhelmed the song to the point that people who didn't like the song because of its linear progression is going to dislike it even more.

I feel so bad for Eliot.

The runner-ups go to:
- Germany, thanks for sending S!sters when you can have Aly Ryan who practically has a Eurovision-ready staging with an awesome song.
- Montenegro, the song was already dated, but the staging has basically killed all its chances to qualify and ready to settle in for the last place.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
i never thought belgium would qualify

but the INCEST from :de:, jesus the nul points are coming

Antho

Portugal kinda ruines themselves with the staging, I liked it but it was too dark. Belgium too (the staging was awful)

hijirio

Veteran
:pt: without doubt.

If they took 2 minutes to read youtube comments or esc united forum, they would see they fans unanimously want the white dress and mask from NF.

midnightsun

Veteran
As far as semi 1 is concerned, only really Belgium screwed it up.
Poland, Georgia, Portugal and Hungary were fine they only didn’t hit the taste of the masses.
Finland really would have needed a better singer but even then they wouldn’t have qualified anyway I think.
Montenegro was fine, I really liked it actually, but the scarfs were terrible. Maybe some better clothes (more traditional) would have helped them a bit but I guess even that didn’t help them qualify.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
As far as semi 1 is concerned, only really Belgium screwed it up.
Poland, Georgia, Portugal and Hungary were fine they only didn’t hit the taste of the masses.
Finland really would have needed a better singer but even then they wouldn’t have qualified anyway I think.
Montenegro was fine, I really liked it actually, but the scarfs were terrible. Maybe some better clothes (more traditional) would have helped them a bit but I guess even that didn’t help them qualify.

I agree totally with you here. I think all songs that missed apart from Belgium probably did all they could do. Some actually had very nice staging such as Georgia (up there almost with Australia imo) and Poland. Some perhaps would argue that Portugal didn't (staging too dark etc) but that song was destined to miss as it was too unusual for the audience, and the staging was beautiful actually. Even Finland I thought had memorable staging but the singer along with the song were big problems it wouldn't have been able to overcome.

Belgium though.... gee what a car crash. Everything about it was wrong. I think the composition wasn't perfect in the first place but it would have been a contender for the final had they staged it at least half decently.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Based on what we know? Germany, without a shadow of a doubt. Reminder that their backdrop in the first rehearsal were STOCKPHOTO FOOTAGE OF LESBIAN COUPLES.

Of the acts that were already killed off? Definitely Poland for me. That song had *options* for dynamism and they instead opted for stating polyphonic repetition. Also the song is called "Fire of love"... where was the fire? Don't tell me the fire was only metaphorical. Your song SINGS OF FIRE, set fire to the backdrops, the stage, the outfits, etc. Go all out or don't go on at all.

And yes, Belgium but this has been well-documented in this thread, rightfully so :-)

This semi had no Senneks, just a bunch of Yianna's all of which didn't qualify. :-)

FilipFromSweden

:fi: it just felt messy and bleak as hell. The song could’ve come through with smarter and more downscale staging. Something like :se: 2012

musicfan

Finland and Belgium were the two that should have qualified but didn't.

Fluke

I think France, the staging was too heavy-handed with its message in the first place, and the "news articles" were totally unnecessary.

Alaska49

whoever voted netherlands is about as funny as the israeli hosts were this year

anyway the most correct vote is armenia. they did absolutely everything wrong.

Preuss

Cyprus :?
Why countries just hire SJB without thinking out other possibilities blows my mind, and it showed in the televote, sadly...

Preuss

Well personally I never thought that Netherlands' staging was bad, I feel like they made it unnecessary exciting for themselves

musicfan

Greece

It's a great song (at present my favourite with the Spanish song), the studio version is brilliant. There were various problems, the staging wasn't that good in the main, the silly business with the ball (Russia did it better with What If). The backing singers didn't have enough power, maybe get better singers or get rid of the others and get more backing singers in. The lead singer was very good at times (in the semi for instance) but at other times you could sense she was nervous. A great performance of this would surely have been a contender, definitely one of the most exciting songs of this contest.

VirginiaVision

I'm curious to hear some specific points about things Armenia did wrong. I never connected with the song or the staging but have never been able to figure out what exactly turned me off.

Top Bottom