Contact us

Which countries did the juries and televoters save?

EscGeek

Veteran
:rs: & :sm: saved by the public, :al: & :pt: saved by the jury,

bonus prediction: :md: was 10th in both

A-lister

Veteran
Semi 2

Televoters:
:md: :rs:
Juries: :pt: :bg: and maybe :al:

Also a special shout out to :dk: that I think were top. 10 with televoters but were downvoted by the hateful grandmas...

As for :md: , Kirkorov might have bribed off some jurors though so that one is a bit tricky, might have been top. 10 with both xshrug

seagull

Just my feeling, but:
Semi 1 songs helped by the Televote :az: and :no:
Semi 2 :md:and :gr:.

In :no:'s case, I can't see Juries liking something that sounds like it's a 1990s or early 2000s boyband track. :az: and :md: just feel like total Televotes song to me anyway.

I think we can agree that :ua:, :bg: and :ch: probably won solid support from both sides.

I suspect the hipsters saved: :be: and :pt: and I am glad of it. Good entries deserve to be in the Final, regardless of an imperfect performance.

The results I am most curious about from Semi 1 is where did :ie:, :hr: and :au: each land in the pecking order for totally different reasons. From Semi 2 :ee:, :lv: and :at:, again for different reasons. It's often more interesting to wonder what went wrong for some entries, especially if you were considered a possible Qualifier.

I think the Juries probably sank:
Semi 1 :ro: and Semi 2 :pl: and :dk:. Rafał went for something terribly hip and didn't quite get there. :dk: probably NQed because it's retro without doing anything with that idea. I have a sneaking suspicion that :cz: also flat-lined with the Juries too.

Now, a woman trapped in a world of her own trying to break free is a perfect metaphor for what Lockdown and restrictions have been like for so many people, but clearly, that didn't translate as well as was hoped and :ie: probably bombed with everyone. I personally found the scrappiness a bit endearing. The country's illustrious ESC history is basically irrelevant now because their success was in the era of orchestras with minimal staging, much less interest in chart music, virtually no Televoting, you could fit it comfortably into a theatre and it mostly Western Europe participating. It's a totally different Contest now. Countries don't get better at this without experimenting and until eventually something starts clicking more consistently. At the moment they are prisoners of their own ESC history, just like their :uk: cousins. I fear that RTE will draw precisely the wrong lesson from this and instead of picking another singer-songwriter and giving them space to create an entry that has some kind of artistic credibility, regardless of the eventual result, they will panic and give it back to Louis Walsh and his generic brand of steadily dating pop in despair and keep coming last or near last in the Semis forever until they finally give up.

heke1988

Semi-final 2
Juries: :pt: and perhaps :al:
Televote: :md: :sm: and perhaps :rs:

Lance Esgard

I think Moldova and Serbia were saved by the televote.
I think Albania was saved by the juries and Austria was also a jury qualifier.

I think Portugal did qualify on both sides, given their iTunes performance on ESCTracker. Instead it was like Belgium in having a televote appeal for a different set of voters to those that go for the pop bangers and the like... but I wouldn't be shocked if it was saved by the juries instead of Albania.

midnightsun

Veteran
:dk: and :at: were neither top 10 public nor top 10 juries

:gr: was saved by the public

:pt: were top 10 with both public and jury but better with the public

:is: was saved by the juries

:md: was saved by the juries

:ee: didn’t qualify because of the juries

Realest

:dk: and :at: were neither top 10 public nor top 10 juries

:gr: was saved by the public

:pt: were top 10 with both public and jury but better with the public

:is: was saved by the juries

:md: was saved by the juries

:ee: didn’t qualify because of the juries

Wait, you think :ee: beat :is: and :md: in the Televoting?

midnightsun

Veteran
Wait, you think :ee: beat :is: and :md: in the Televoting?

Yep, I do think Uku is for all ages and I thought he did maybe a Victor „Storm“. Of course, if at all, this appeals only to the public and is never a jury favorite.

Denmark is out because I don’t know who would have voted for it except for maybe UK and Austria, Switzerland...

pyryniemi

SF1:
juries saved :il: and knocked out :hr: or maybe even :mk:
televoters saved :no: and knocked out.... :sl: maybe? even though even the juries probably found it dated

I can actually see a scenario where the juries/televoters agreed on 9 qualifiers, one of them being Croatia, but the discrepancies
knocked them out.

SF2:
juries saved :al: and knocked out :dk:
televoters saved :md: (and :rs:?) while knocking out :at: (and i honestly don't know who the other one would be)

crashworld

Veteran
I see alot of people thinking juries saved :il: , I actually think they made top. 10 in the televoting as well. I was a bit worried prior the show but after seeing the performance I don't think they're one of the countries needing "saving" from either camp.

I always have a hunch that "Set Me Free" is actually more well-received by the general public rather than the ESC fandom, so I doubt it did that poorly at the televotes like so many fans suggested. However, I would agree Israel would rank higher in the jury side.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I feel like all the qualifiers - except maybe Moldova - were above 10th place in both jury and televote. xthink

From the non-qualifiers, :dk: was probably better in televote, while :lv: was last place with the juries

DenizESC

Banned
Imo the bottom of semi 2 really stood out :ROFLMAO: I mean that in a bad way...

So I think the vast majority of the semi probably made it on both, 1 of Denmark or Austria was probably a jury qualifier but that's as far as my prediction goes.

burrito

semi 1 saved by juries: :se: :be:
semi 1 saved by televote: :no:

semi 2 saved by juries: :al:
semi 2 saved by televote: :md: :rs:

:il: was probably within top 10 with televote so not necessarily saved by juries but she was definitely ranked higher by them than by the televote

Citelis

Romania was probably inside t/v top10 (9th or 10th) but got killed by juries while they saved Belgium.
Well it was exactly the opposite. :lol: Romania was inside juries top10 but got killed by televoting. However juries indeed saved Belgium.

Top Bottom