Contact us

Which countries are at most risk of being booed?

I have to be honest here, and it's very childish I admit, I love the drama of countries being booed. I do feel sympathy for the artists but I feel like they know that it is not aimed at them personally. With the anti-booing technology removed by SVT, we will be able to hear the real audience reactions - which I view as a brilliant thing.

I think the most likely to be booed and why are:

• Russia (obviously)
  • Poland (recent election of far-right government, anti-lgbt laws)
  • possibly Greece (deporting refugees while the contest is trying to indirectly promote against that & the whole SYRIZA shabang)
  • possibly Germany even (depending on the audience, for reasons opposite to the one above)

megzpegz

Russia have the most chance and Azerbaijan and armenia dislike eachother!

Mii11

:ru: and :by: for sure.
:az: and :de: (because of Mutti Merkel) stand a big chance.
Because of the fact that most eurofans dislike Swedish entry plus the whole controversy with the last winner, I think :se: should be prepared for booing as well.

megzpegz

For me none of them should be booed its not the artists fault for whats going on in the world at the moment.

GermanBango

Hopefully no one ... It's just stupid and childish behavior. Those people should immediately be removed from the arena.
I guess in the end only Russia is going to be booed ... (but hey, maybe he's going to perform shirtless and 95% of the audience will be too distracted to even think about politics) :lol:

EscUKFan

San Marino & Montenegro if they qualify, but that would never happen :D

ag89

That booing thing is such a shame, specially if you have in mind that those who come there are self-proclaimed as "tolerant and open" and then you expect these people are able to distinguish governments from singers.

Also, it is interesting that almost always they boo eastern European countries. Or to be more precise, countries from the former USSR and YU bloc.

Iceland was probably the only country from the west I can remember that was booed. Even that was childish, if you don't support artist or certain countries show your tolerance and openness by being silent during their performance. Also, that creates an opposite effect: you really think Russia will give up just because some childish fans boo their singers?!

Eurovision is a MUSIC event and not a platform for political and wanna be political ideas and ideologies including promoting LGBT rights. I know it's hard to understand, but Eurovision is not for that nor owned by the people who call themselves Eurovision fans. You simply have to understand some people don't care for LGBT rights and you can't force them to care or to understand why is important for LGBT folks to be equal members of our societies.

Speaking of Russia and these LGBT rights and problems there, before you look into Russia or any other country you think it is not so nice to certain groups of people, please look at your own backyard and see what your country does.

You hate right wing governments? You hate people who hate gays? Ok, that's fine, I hate them too. Or at least I dislike them. But I won't boo great singers who put so much effort into their performances who come from a country where prime minister or president says gays are sick or whatsover.

No matter how much you think you are tolerant, open and liberal, you also have to understand some people love to be conservative and support ideas you might dislike.

Every time you boo a singer you basically confirm you are the same ass as those who are close minded. Basically, there are no differences.

birthday

:ru: and :by: for sure.
:az: and :de: (because of Mutti Merkel) stand a big chance.
Because of the fact that most eurofans dislike Swedish entry plus the whole controversy with the last winner, I think :se: should be prepared for booing as well.

I doubt Sweden will be booed, I would assume a big amount of the people there to be Swedish, it's home ground after all, home entries tend to get massive cheers.

I hope no one gets booed because no one deserves to. It's just childish and petty.

Mii11

I doubt Sweden will be booed, I would assume a big amount of the people there to be Swedish, it's home ground after all, home entries tend to get massive cheers.

I hope no one gets booed because no one deserves to. It's just childish and petty.

That's true.

I agree with you that it's childish. Sadly last two years proved that Eurofans can be pretty disrespectful towards artists from certain countries.

birthday

Booing is honestly just a way to polish your own ego without doing anything that will actually have an impact. Booing Russia or whatever country won't do sh*t about the stuff people are mad about. I doubt Russian lawmakers and politicians for example, hear about the booing and go "goodness me, we must change now, eurofans are mad at us!" It's also extremely disrespectful for the performer that might have a totally different view than what the media shows their country having. So I reslly hope no one gets booed, but unfortunately someone probably will.

Chorizo

I enjoy the drama of booing and I'm curious what will happen this year.
I approve of people who demonstrate their disapproval of Russia. This year's song is not a phony peace song again but fan service for the Eurovision queens, which I also consider rather unlikeable and manipulative considering the anti-gay laws in Russia. The reasons for booing Russia have been the same since 2014 and the idea of Russia winning and hosting next year is so awful that I can fully see people booing Russia again and I appreciate that. Russia would be the worst winner and if people in the audience agree with this opinion, it is their right to make that known. If the audience has the right to cheer and to applaud, they also have the right to boo.

I think it's less likely for other countries to be booed but I wouldn't rule it out.

ag89

I enjoy the drama of booing and I'm curious what will happen this year.
I approve of people who demonstrate their disapproval of Russia. This year's song is not a phony peace song again but fan service for the Eurovision queens, which I also consider rather unlikeable and manipulative considering the anti-gay laws in Russia. The reasons for booing Russia have been the same since 2014 and the idea of Russia winning and hosting next year is so awful that I can fully see people booing Russia again and I appreciate that. Russia would be the worst winner and if people in the audience agree with this opinion, it is their right to make that known. If the audience has the right to cheer and to applaud, they also have the right to boo.

I think it's less likely for other countries to be booed but I wouldn't rule it out.

The problem with that is these Euro fans are extremely hypocritical because they boo only one country despite bunch of countries competing in ESC are acting similar or the same way.

France was never booed although their government treated Romani peoples badly few years ago, Hungary was never booed although their very conservative government is acting the same or similar way as Russia speaking of many questions. But noooo, let's keep repeating "Russia Russia, boooo", that's the only issue here, right?! I am happy so many Euro fans including bunch of gays are sick of this disrespect toward singers from Russia, particularly.

The fact is it is a trend or "cool" thing to boo Russia simply because that's a country opposite to western European governments. It's not about principles but about the fact these Euro fans are nothing else but sheep in charge although they don't understand it.

I would love to ask a fan who booed Polina last year for example why he/she did so: bunch of people in her team were gay. And how the hell she and hear team had anything with some government who cares only for itself anyway.

If you think acting like a hooligan in front of 100 million people is cool, then go for it. That's exactly what some people do year after year in ESC.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Russia will get booed if they win. That'll be the only boos.

Chorizo

The problem with that is these Euro fans are extremely hypocritical because they boo only one country despite bunch of countries competing in ESC are acting similar or the same way.

France was never booed although their government treated Romani peoples badly few years ago, Hungary was never booed although their very conservative government is acting the same or similar way as Russia speaking of many questions. But noooo, let's keep repeating "Russia Russia, boooo", that's the only issue here, right?! I am happy so many Euro fans including bunch of gays are sick of this disrespect toward singers from Russia, particularly.

The fact is it is a trend or "cool" thing to boo Russia simply because that's a country opposite to western European governments. It's not about principles but about the fact these Euro fans are nothing else but sheep in charge although they don't understand it.

I would love to ask a fan who booed Polina last year for example why he/she did so: bunch of people in her team were gay. And how the hell she and hear team had anything with some government who cares only for itself anyway.

If you think acting like a hooligan in front of 100 million people is cool, then go for it. That's exactly what some people do year after year in ESC.

I wasn't in Vienna last year, so I didn't boo Polina but I certainly would have. She absolutely deserved to be booed because she agreed to sing a propaganda song for Mother Russia. She should have never received that many points for her phony peace song. There was nothing wrong with booing her at all.

This year, Sergey performs a stereotypical gay song that represents the gay Eurovision bubble from about ten years ago. This is nothing but Russian propaganda again. Last year, the Russians sang about peace while waging a war. This year they have a flamboyant gay performance while suppressing gay people in real life. It's the kind of crap Russia has been doing for many years and this deserves all the boos in the world.

ag89

I wasn't in Vienna last year, so I didn't boo Polina but I certainly would have. She absolutely deserved to be booed because she agreed to sing a propaganda song for Mother Russia. She should have never received that many points for her phony peace song. There was nothing wrong with booing her at all.

This year, Sergey performs a stereotypical gay song that represents the gay Eurovision bubble from about ten years ago. This is nothing but Russian propaganda again. Last year, the Russians sang about peace while waging a war. This year they have a flamboyant gay performance while suppressing gay people in real life. It's the kind of crap Russia has been doing for many years and this deserves all the boos in the world.

Basically, every song Russia sends is propaganda? You send a song about peace, wrong, hot semi nude guy, wrong. I see where it goes.

Polina agreed to sing for her country - what's wrong with that? She should have stayed home or what?

Hungary sent peace song last year while their government was very nasty to refugees. Would you have booed Hungary? No. Only Russia.

Booing artists is nothing else but act of hatred. It's is not a statement. Actually, it is - the statement of hatred.

There are 145 million people in Russia. Only few create the law. I hope you and all people who think similar way as you will have a chance to hang more with ordinary people including Russians.

Johnn

Anyone else expecting :pl: not to be booed despite the possible new laws regarding abortion and miscarriage in the country?

Chorizo

Basically, every song Russia sends is propaganda? You send a song about peace, wrong, hot semi nude guy, wrong. I see where it goes.

Polina agreed to sing for her country - what's wrong with that? She should have stayed home or what?

Hungary sent peace song last year while their government was very nasty to refugees. Would you have booed Hungary? No. Only Russia.

Booing artists is nothing else but act of hatred. It's is not a statement. Actually, it is - the statement of hatred.

There are 145 million people in Russia. Only few create the law. I hope you and all people who think similar way as you will have a chance to hang more with ordinary people including Russians.

Russia often sends propaganda, that's a fact. The domestic media in Russia are censored and full of propaganda too. The Russians do at Eurovision what they are used to doing at home. Do you expect them to be honest at Eurovision while forcing the domestic media to spread lies at home and spreading their propaganda internationally via RT?

Polina agreed to be Putin's propaganda puppet. The audience decided to boo her. One thing led to another. Everyone can decide to spread propaganda and everyone is allowed to react negatively to such propaganda.

I wouldn't have booed Hungary. Hungary and Russia are not comparable. Of course, there are some problems in Hungarian politics just like in every other country but Hungry is not as awful as Russia and it's not even close by any means. Hungary was not at war last year, was it?

Booing is a statement of disapproval. The audience is allowed to express their disapproval. They are not obliged to applaud every crap that is put in front of them. At least that's true in free countries. In Russia, you might disappear if you publicly disapprove of Putin or your body is found floating in the Moskva. Luckily, it's not like that in most countries that participate in Eurovision.

I'm not saying that ordinary Russians should be booed. Those that spread Putin's propaganda and represent Putin's awful country deserve to be booed. They are not random private citizen that don't have any connection to the regime. They are willing propaganda puppets. If they represent Russia with pro-Russian propaganda, they need to accept that they get booed.

These people know in advance that they will get booed and they don't care. Otherwise, they wouldn't participate. They can sing their song and the audience can make a statement. I don't see a problem here at all. Also don't forget the millions of Russians that support Putin and vote for him. I don't want to meet those people.

Top Bottom