Contact us

Where will it be hosted?

HarryUK

It's Wolverhampton, you're not far from it with a big fat meh. :lol:

Watch it be Blythe or something. xheat Eurovision: Chav edition. 🙌
Eurovision 2023 Blackpool
The interval act would be the local crackheads shooting up on stage followed by a load of 13 year old 'gangsters' from Blackpool Grime Media

Mainshow

Veteran
More "news" on Cardiff´s potential bid.

The Principality Stadium in Cardiff is the first potential venue in the United Kingdom, to publicly state it is interested in holding the Eurovision Song Contest in 2023. With a capacity of 70,000 the stadium

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
FTFY 👏
She's already welcoming us to Cardiff, now come on now

omg. How could I forget about the Welsh legend herself. She sings around the towns and everything. hopefully she's still lazy at the moment so she can make room for the job.

A-lister

Veteran
I still think Ukraine should have been given the shot and based on the Ukrainian reaction, EBU was a bit too quick on their statement and it gives a bit of bad taste that they couldn't have properly talked this through with the Ukrainian delegation first.

On the other hand I "get it" and I think UK is a logical choice being that they came second, it's also a country proven to be a friend of Ukraine during the war (unlike some others) so it seems alright from that perspective too. I just hope that they will honor the fact that Ukraine technically should have hosted and make it open for Ukraine to have a proper input in the show.

tomos2019

I think hopefully they are still going to try and reflect Ukraine being the previous years' winner in the show.

I do think a contest in Wales does have to happen eventually, even if it has to be a joint ''Cardiff-Bristol'' thing or something and that Millennium Stadium show at the weekend with Tom Jones and Stereophonics should tell you that Cardiff absolutely can do it, maybe it would be better off the back of a win though and I would possibly be disappointed by going too much down the comedic route with presenters, I mean you could even have some people from S4C presenting but just mostly in English lol.

dixenborg

The UK aren’t much of a friend to Ukraine when it comes to actually assisting refugees in getting there so I wouldn’t overstate things.

I have to admit, I thought the decision to host outside of Ukraine was inevitable but I didn’t expect a decision until August/September and I thought the EBU would invite bids rather than go straight to the UK.

Brandt

I have to admit, I thought the decision to host outside of Ukraine was inevitable but I didn’t expect a decision until August/September and I thought the EBU would invite bids rather than go straight to the UK.
It is not easy to organize the contest accordingly. You have a schedule to follow and if they waited until December or whenever you had in mind just to be nice, it would mean a rushed organization and who wants that? Since it is obvious there is no need to wait and delay the organization and waste €€ sources in vain.

dixenborg

It is not easy to organize the contest accordingly. You have a schedule to follow and if they waited until December or whenever you had in mind just to be nice, it would mean a rushed organization and who wants that? Since it is obvious there is no need to wait and delay the organization and waste €€ sources in vain.
I don’t have anything in mind. I just thought the EBU would wait a bit longer. Nothing to do with my thoughts on what they should or shouldn’t do.

tomos2019

I am glad it is at least not cancelled again anyway, although back then I thought the EBU could have been more transparent than just telling us what the final decision was, not how they got to that point!

ESCConor

The UK aren’t much of a friend to Ukraine when it comes to actually assisting refugees in getting there so I wouldn’t overstate things.

I dont want to get into politics on this thread too much, however back in March 2022, The Ukrainian population said in a survey that it considered the UK to be one of its greatest allies, along with Poland and Lithuania.

So if we do eventually end up hosting, I am sure the BBC will be very considerate of this as the coverage throughout the first days of the conflict reflects. I do suspect we may well see a mix of British and Ukrainian culture in the shows, perhaps we could see the postcards filmed in the UK, but with Ukrainian Music over them perhaps?

Also, dont think our government reflects the mood of the UK population. You will find in the UK that despite our government holding up Ukrainian refugees, that we are a very warm, hospitable country, In just the first 24 hours of the Homes for Ukraine scheme, we saw 100,000 people offer to take in Ukrainian refugees.

Im sure there will be loads of different ideas in the coming months about this. But one things for sure, the BBC will not forget Ukraine.

ESCConor

I dont want to get into politics on this thread too much, however back in March 2022, The Ukrainian population said in a survey that it considered the UK to be one of its greatest allies, along with Poland and Lithuania.

So if we did host it, I am sure the BBC will be very considerate of this as the BBCs coverage throughout the first days of the conflict reflects. I do suspect we may well see a mix of British and Ukrainian culture in the shows, perhaps we could see the postcards filmed in the UK, but with Ukrainian Music over them perhaps?

Im sure there will be loads of different ideas in the coming months about this. But one things for sure, the BBC will not forget Ukraine.

Last edited:

shameless

I am very surprised by the reaction of the Ukrainian delegation and with all solidarity to Ukraine in this war, this attitude rubs me the wrong way on that matter. The country is under attack and a lot is already destroyed. Population has a lot of other needs than ESC being held in their country.
It's the EBUs responsibility to organize their competition and ensure that safety is the top priority, not to please the winning country of the year before. Nobody knows how the situation will be next year but preparations need to happen as soon as possible and thats why it's the only reasonable decision they did. And everyone with a rational sense who organizes ANYTHING knows that as well.

Brandt

I am very surprised by the reaction of the Ukrainian delegation and with all solidarity to Ukraine in this war, this attitude rubs me the wrong way on that matter. The country is under attack and a lot is already destroyed. Population has a lot of other needs than ESC being held in their country.
It's the EBUs responsibility to organize their competition and ensure that safety is the top priority, not to please the winning country of the year before. Nobody knows how the situation will be next year but preparations need to happen as soon as possible and thats why it's the only reasonable decision they did. And everyone with a rational sense who organizes ANYTHING knows that as well.
Ukraine, Ukrainians and "romantic" Ukraine lovers need to understand that it is not safe to bring all people in a country where war is still present. EBU is responsible for the fans' safety and need to take any action necessary. Ukraine needs hope and I understand that but recklessly putting so many people's lives in danger is not the solution here. They need to find hope in ways that won't risk MORE innocent people's lives and once it is safe, then they should proceed with whatever they want.

I feel sad for Ukraine and I even donated money for Ukraine, but hosting Eurovision is soooooo irrelevant and reckless attitude that should not even be in question just to please people in war. Sorry but this is not the answer to the present problems and it seems to me more like people who want Ukraine to host Eurovision are just not aware of the real situation here, or don't want to be. Be it Ukrainians or people from other countries.

esc87fan

Here's how I see a UK-hosted contest with Ukrainian influence:

Semifinal 1: Ukrainian interval acts
Semifinal 2: British interval acts
Grand Final: A combination of the two

And as a sign of unity, have Oleh Psiuk from Kalush Orchestra (representing Ukraine as outgoing winner) and Sam Ryder (representing the UK as the host country) present the Grand Prix trophy together to the new winner

dixenborg

I think the beauty of Ukrainian culture is that they have a very strong visual identity which could be incorporated in many ways.

I’d like to see Ukrainian artists in every interval act and wouldn’t be keen on Sam Ryder handing over the trophy. Eurovision itself is a statement of unity. Ultimately he didn’t win so I hope they don’t make too much of him in next year’s show.

AlekS

Veteran
As for safety - our organizing committee honestly mentioned all the dangers to the EBU, so I don't get this they risk people's lives/"reckless" mantra.
The EBU officials had only one meeting with organizing committee and they didn't even discuss anything. The EBU did not aknowledge PBC about their decision before public announcement xfacepalmPBC found out like everyone else.
The EBU did not discuss safety with our officials who were in organizing committee, instead they cited the Head of NATO who said that the war could last for years, basically basing their decision on hypothetical situation while absolutely neglecting our delegation. PBC had all rights to ask for additional talks, because our organizing committee wasn't even given a chance to answer EBU's concerns.
To me the EBU's decision was obvious, but the way it was handled was unacceptable.

Let the population us decide what we need, pls. Eurovision 2022 ratings & record breaking popularity of our entry in our YT have already proven you wrong. The hosting expenses would have been covered by at least 3 countries that backed us up next day after the final in Torino. Though, we can live without hosting, it would helped us even more - our performers have gathered approx. 90 million € thanks to Eurovision in 2022, so saying that we should have other needs is wrong at its core.

Nobody knows how the situation will be next year but preparations need to happen as soon as possible and thats why it's the only reasonable decision they did.
Totally agree. The documents from every host-city candidate should be sent to the EBU in August already, so they need these guarantees like now. But this is the EBU's job to give deadlines so government officials (who aren't familiar with Eurovision) could understand why their bid got rejected, or at least the EBU could discuss the whole situation with the broadcaster and organizing committee.

A-lister

Veteran

As much as refugees need help, mentioning that as the first point is to cement the situation and going at it backwards instead of looking at proactively helping Ukraine defending itself and stop supporting ruZZia... here UK has proven one of the country's strongest allies and the same cannot be said about most of Western Europe and Southern Europe...

I won't dig deeper into that though since it's a topic for the politics thread....

Ukraine, Ukrainians and "romantic" Ukraine lovers need to understand that it is not safe to bring all people in a country where war is still present. EBU is responsible for the fans' safety and need to take any action necessary. Ukraine needs hope and I understand that but recklessly putting so many people's lives in danger is not the solution here. They need to find hope in ways that won't risk MORE innocent people's lives and once it is safe, then they should proceed with whatever they want.

I feel sad for Ukraine and I even donated money for Ukraine, but hosting Eurovision is soooooo irrelevant and reckless attitude that should not even be in question just to please people in war. Sorry but this is not the answer to the present problems and it seems to me more like people who want Ukraine to host Eurovision are just not aware of the real situation here, or don't want to be. Be it Ukrainians or people from other countries.

And also to those who "ridicule" those in here for supporting Ukraine's ("Ukraine lovers", "bad attitude") reaction to EBU's statement, we are not saying that we don't understand the safety issue and of course that comes first so yeah, most probably Ukraine wouldn't end up hosting it, but EBU prematurely releasing this statement without having properly discussed with the Ukrainian delegation and broadcaster isn't the way to go either and it looks bad on the EBU's part, not on Ukraine's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom