Contact us

Where will it be hosted?

FilipFromSweden

I'm crossing my fingers for Glasgow. If not I hope it's London

Mainshow

Veteran
Cardiff puts its hat in the ring:

Politicians in Wales have called for the Welsh Capital to bid to host the competition, with the likes of the Leader of Cardiff Council and the leader of the Welsh Conservatives showing support.

The Principality Stadium is being pushed as a potential venue as one of the largest roofed stadiums in the United Kingdom. With a capacity for 70,000 the stadium, the venue which opened in 1999 would be the largest venue to hold the Eurovision Song Contest should it be chosen.

Potential host cities so far:
- Aberdeen
- Belfast
- Birmingham
- Brighton
- (Brussels)
- Cardiff
- Glasgow
- Leeds
- Liverpool
- London
- Manchester
- Sheffield

HarryUK

Cardiff puts its hat in the ring:

Potential host cities so far:
- Aberdeen
- Belfast
- Birmingham
- Brighton
- (Brussels)
- Cardiff
- Glasgow
- Leeds
- Liverpool
- London
- Manchester
- Sheffield
I'm going to nominate my back garden at this rate

Rocket man

Ooooh, if it's in Cardiff. I'm definitely going. The Principality stadium would be a great atmosphere. Also Wales has never hosted Eurovision so that would be a first.

Although I'm still hoping Ukraine will host it somehow, I think they should be given more time to see if it's possible.

HarryUK

Ooooh, if it's in Cardiff. I'm definitely going. The Principality stadium would be a great atmosphere. Also Wales has never hosted Eurovision so that would be a first.

Although I'm still hoping Ukraine will host it somehow, I think they should be given more time to see if it's possible.
I'd be in favour of a return to a stadium show for Eurovision, especially if it's in the UK because demand for tickets is going to be through the roof

Rocket man

I'd be in favour of a return to a stadium show for Eurovision, especially if it's in the UK because demand for tickets is going to be through the roof
The UK would put on an epic stadium show for Eurovision, the possibilities are huge. The world saw what the UK is capable of in the London 2012 opening ceremony. Of course Eurovision is not as massive as the Olympics but the UK could still put on a spectacular show and that would be elevated at a stadium with a closed roof.

I'm just concerned about the BBC's ambitions, I still think the people at the top still don't get Eurovision and the positives it can bring for the BBC.

Mainshow

Veteran
Honestly, we´ve heard several positive comments by Hurts, Robbie Williams and even Ed Sheeran regarding Eurovision - let them all perform as interval acts (on different live shows as well as Ukrainian artists, of course) and an epic stadium show would clearly work for the UK, the BBC and Eurovision!

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

A smaller arena would be stupid for sure, they could easily fill out a stadium. Hopefully they don't go lowkey. It's been so long since we hosted they should go all out for it.

HarryUK

A smaller arena would be stupid for sure, they could easily fill out a stadium. Hopefully they don't go lowkey. It's been so long since we hosted they should go all out for it.
Eurovision 2023, Wembley Stadium
Fuck the football, kick them out for 6 weeks before and 2 weeks after. Give the gays everything they deserve

dixenborg

Portugal had never hosted, Austria hadn’t hosted in almost 50 years, the Netherlands in over 40 years. Ultimately it comes down to the EBU requirements, not an entitled sense of British exceptionalism.

MopManMoss

Veteran
Guardian is probably the most pro EU paper in the UK I wouldnt look to much into them pushing this "EU wants to fund a bid in Brussels" story

MopManMoss

Veteran
Portugal had never hosted, Austria hadn’t hosted in almost 50 years, the Netherlands in over 40 years. Ultimately it comes down to the EBU requirements, not an entitled sense of British exceptionalism.
Im not a unionist but talking about "british exceptionalism" just because british eurofans are excitied at the prospect of hosting for the first time in twenty five years and are being silly and clearly not serious over filling wembley statdium for eurovision is pathetic also having politicians as your profile pictures is super cringe

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

eh? :lol: what has British exceptionalism got to do with it?. Obviously no one actually expects the BBC to book out Wembley Stadium, they'll pick the most suitable venue regardless of size. I bet you weren't crying German exceptionalism in 2011 when they chose to host it in that huge 60,000+ arena. It's not that deep, wind it in, enjoy the moment. xheart

dixenborg

eh? :lol: what has British exceptionalism got to do with it?. Obviously no one actually expects the BBC to book out Wembley Stadium, they'll pick the most suitable venue regardless of size. I bet you weren't crying German exceptionalism in 2011 when they chose to host it in that huge 60,000+ arena. It's not that deep, wind it in, enjoy the moment. xheart
You just said

“A smaller arena would be stupid for sure, they could easily fill out a stadium. Hopefully they don't go lowkey. It's been so long since we hosted they should go all out for it.”

Why should the BBC get special permission to go “all out”? This is a Eurovision like any other and is subject to the EBU requirements.

dixenborg

Im not a unionist but talking about "british exceptionalism" just because british eurofans are excitied at the prospect of hosting for the first time in twenty five years and are being silly and clearly not serious over filling wembley statdium for eurovision is pathetic also having politicians as your profile pictures is super cringe
It’s ironic. Before it was Lynda Woodruff. And I only changed it because people were saying some pretty vile and highly politicised things about Scotland and our government.

MopManMoss

Veteran
It’s ironic. Before it was Lynda Woodruff. And I only changed it because people were saying some pretty vile and highly politicised things about Scotland and our government.
Im for scottish independence but people should be free to say whatever they feel abour Scotland and its government, politicians should be help to account not idolised and used as profile pictures

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
You just said

“A smaller arena would be stupid for sure, they could easily fill out a stadium. Hopefully they don't go lowkey. It's been so long since we hosted they should go all out for it.”

Why should the BBC get special permission to go “all out”? This is a Eurovision like any other and is subject to the EBU requirements.

Special permission? :'D If every single penny was coming just from the EBU, you might actually have a point, but that's not the case at all. You speak as if the BBC will go to the EBU demanding more money because the UK must simply outdo everyone else, which is nonsense. We would actually have to front the majority of the costs. The EBU have basic requirements, to ensure the host city can deal with all the spectators, delegation & press that will descend on the city as well as to make sure the venue isn't a shoe box. Portugals venue in 2018 can seat over 20,000, which is well above the "around 10,000" basic requirment. There are many towns and cities across the UK (and many other European countries for that matter) who meet these basic requirements and exceed them.. There is nothing special about it.

Top Bottom