Contact us

When will the Big 5 be abolished?

Romeo

As we all know the big 5 make the final every year. Many people disagree with this. With all the changed in ESC in the last 10-15 years do you think there could be another change to remove the PQ status of the Big 5?

Romeo

I have always been against it because it could discourage the big 5 if they fail to make the final but more recently I have been thinking it could be the kick up the arse they need.

If the BBC don't get the viewing figures they are used to then they could give it up (which I think is a good idea because I want ITV to take over and we could send good songs)

AdelAdel

Whenever any of said countries stop contributing so much money to EBU. Interesting fact - EBU changed the rules of relegation in the 90's a few times to make sure none of those countries get relegated. It was fine in 93 and 94, but there was a problem in 95 where Germany came last. They made a PQ round instead of relegating the bottom countries. To some people's surprise, Germany didn't make out of the PQ round. So, they changed it again from 97 that the past 5 editions will count towards being/not-being relegated. But... France started doing badly and Germany, too. There was a risk of them being relegated, so in 99 EBU said "feck it all - make them qualify for the final regardless of anything, lulz".

Realest

Germany payd only 363K/15 Mio in Vienna while Netherlands paid 240K. I dont understand why they cant make Germany pay maybe 270-280K and let them participate in the Semi.

GRE

Germany payd only 363K/15 Mio in Vienna while Netherlands paid 240K. I dont understand why they cant make Germany pay maybe 270-280K and let them participate in the Semi.

You are from Germany, why do you say that ?
Why don't you defend your country ?

popavapeur

I'm french and I don't disagree with him, I don't think France should be in the final, also there's a lot of countries that pays a lot too (I do remember one year it was 6th - The Netherlands, 7th Belgium, 8th Russia and I don't remember the two left of the top 10 contributors). We can root for our country and not being blind at the same time. That's just the normal way to support your country imho, seeing the good and be able to tell about the wrong sides.

Realest

The last 3 Years we Germany wouldnt have made it to the Final, so I dont see the sense in being directly qualified. Id rather see my Country becoming 14th-15th in the Semi than Lastplace in the Final. Im pretty sure that Ann-Sophie could have a career right now, if she wasnt directly qualified f.e. I see only disadvantages.

MyHeartIsYours

It will never be, they are the countries with the big money, big audiences and carry larger cultural weight.

Citrine

Hopefully soon, however much they may pay, I see it as an unfair advantage.

Realest

Are Spain, France and Italy had a big audience and a larger culture weight than :ru: for example to be in the Big 5? :rolleyes:

I asked a german Eurovision-Expert and he answered me that Russia pays less then the Big5 because Russia broadcast very few Sports and News-Offers from the EBU. The Same was with Turkey. Not only the Viewingfigures and Populationfigures are important but the Use of the Whole EBU-Offers.

Sabiondo

I asked a german Eurovision-Expert and he answered me that Russia pays less then the Big5 because Russia broadcast very few Sports and News-Offers from the EBU. The Same was with Turkey. Not only the Viewingfigures and Populationfigures are important but the Use of the Whole EBU-Offers.

From i know few years ago, EBU reveald that :ru pays a lot for ESC, even more than :es: and :fr: for example!

Realest

From i know few years ago, EBU reveald that :ru pays a lot for ESC, even more than :es: and :fr: for example!

Do you have a Source? Spain paid 356K in 2015 and I doubt that Russia pays more.

Top Bottom