Contact us

What's your mum's favorite?

MrLordi

🇫🇷🇸🇪 were my moms favorites, my dad hates everything, the whole contest and is ashamed that i like it lol, but he thought 🇨🇭 was good for an esc song but otherwise shit. My smaller brother(13y/o) likes 🇵🇹

Jim

France for victory and then randomly she likes: Iceland, Germany, Greece, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Albania, Switzerland & Portugal. Also a little, Malta, Bulgaria & Romania.

midnightsun

Veteran
I tried to avoid this thread most of the times until now because my mum died unexpectedly this year :cry: but I KNOW her favourite would have been :ee: (chances she would also like :dk: and :pt:).

But instead of avoiding this thread I will give a huge shout out to the most wonderful mom on earth - she‘s the one who made me watch Eurovision for the first time when I was only 7 years old. Each year since 1986 we were watching the contest together, and in recent years were at least chatting in various messengers about the entries when they were released. It will be so hard this year without the only #1 ESC Fan I know besides myself.
THANK YOU, MUM! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!
Wish you were here with me to listen to the entries you never got the chance to hear. xheart

My husband promised to listen to the songs with me soon.

Mimmon

Veteran
My Mom's Top 3 are: Lithuania,Estonia and Malta
My Granny's Top 3 are: Lithuania,Austria and Finland (honrouble mention Italy)

I haven't showed my dad all the songs yet but he like Ukraine

burrito

I cannot really ask my mom as she's quite far away from me and won't hear the songs until the actual contest, so I've been torturing my fiance with recaps and tops constantly lately, and while he' feels lukewarm at best about most of the songs, his absolute favorite is :it: and he even checked out some other songs from Maneskin. :ro: sounds like a perfume commercial to him, but otherwise is sooo good. He also likes :lt: and was happy with them opening the semi (although he thinks that On Fire was better) :dk: makes him visibly annoyed. As for :pl: I played it to him when he still didn't know what our song sounds like and then he did not have much of a comment, but a few days later I was listening to it again, and without remembering it was Rafał, he said it was ok, but nothing more than that.

As much as he thinks he's not into Eurovision, I can see that years of me forcing him to watch it and listen to my rants has taken it's toll on him. He showed some songs to his friends, including :fi:. None of said friends really cares about Eurovision... but lo and behold, today my fiance told me that one of his friends actually placed a bet on :fi: winning the whole thing.

I gotta admit I'm pretty proud of myself.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I got one of my other friends to listen through the songs, and she was overall far more positive than my mum and other friend who just shaded the hell out of it. She did say overall it was a disappointing line up, but cited mainly because it lacked Kate Miller-Heidke bouncing around on a pole while singing Zero Gravity.

She liked:
:bg: :hr: :be: :cy: :fr: :de: :ie: :mt: :uk:
Cyprus was her fave but said she found Germany hilarious.

disliked a lot/ hated:
:au: :at: :ee: :ge: :is: :lt: :ch:

General comments to note:
She called Efendi talentless :lol:
Cyprus gave Katy Perry/Lady Gaga vibes and she loved it
Said Denmark obviously went to Butlins and picked up the first singer they found
Finland wasn't her thing at all, but at least it stood out and she appreciated it.
Georgia is boring, generic and bland as hell
Iceland is medicore (iirc she hated him last year also)
Moldova was one hot mess and she was conflicted
Bu the end she said entries such as San Marino, Serbia etc all sounded the same and didn't stand out at all - wasn't too impressed by it.
Flo Rida 👀
UK finally sent something that is actually good, instead of average or just all out bad.

theditz83

Veteran
I'm still trying to recover from my mum describing "Monument" by KEiiNO "a bit short of good I think - needing more oomph" xfaint

Seriously, I considered becoming an orphan right there and then and it's made me a bit wary of sharing any others with her this year :lol:

Iker

Veteran
I cannot really ask my mom as she's quite far away from me and won't hear the songs until the actual contest, so I've been torturing my fiance with recaps and tops constantly lately, and while he' feels lukewarm at best about most of the songs, his absolute favorite is :it: and he even checked out some other songs from Maneskin. :ro: sounds like a perfume commercial to him, but otherwise is sooo good. He also likes :lt: and was happy with them opening the semi (although he thinks that On Fire was better) :dk: makes him visibly annoyed. As for :pl: I played it to him when he still didn't know what our song sounds like and then he did not have much of a comment, but a few days later I was listening to it again, and without remembering it was Rafał, he said it was ok, but nothing more than that.

As much as he thinks he's not into Eurovision, I can see that years of me forcing him to watch it and listen to my rants has taken it's toll on him. He showed some songs to his friends, including :fi:. None of said friends really cares about Eurovision... but lo and behold, today my fiance told me that one of his friends actually placed a bet on :fi: winning the whole thing.

I gotta admit I'm pretty proud of myself.
Meanwhile I kinda feel embarrassed to admit to some people that I like Eurovision.

theditz83

Veteran
Meanwhile I kinda feel embarrassed to admit to some people that I like Eurovision.
The judgements used to get to me as well, but I embrace my love for the contest now - if people can't accept it, that's just their jealousy for not having a pastime or hobby that has captured them in the same way.

Although I will say that only my partner fully understands the absolute obsessive tendencies I have towards Eurovision - most of my family and friends think I'm a fan of it but not that I spend the vast majority of my spare time obsessing over every little detail and moment of the season xheat

burrito

The judgements used to get to me as well, but I embrace my love for the contest now - if people can't accept it, that's just their jealousy for not having a pastime or hobby that has captured them in the same way.

exactly!!

Although I've never really faced any judgement due to my love for Eurovision, I feel sorry for people who are laughing at us. I mean, every May i'm literally going thru an emotional rollercoaster which is preceded by 3-4 good months of not knowing what boredom is. I love to be so immersed in all of that. Meanwhile they all don't experience this kind of emotions unless it's Poland fighting for world's volleyball championship. Man I experience this kind of emotions every single year and it's the best thing ever so be mad :lol:

midnightsun

Veteran

Although I will say that only my partner fully understands the absolute obsessive tendencies I have towards Eurovision - most of my family and friends think I'm a fan of it but not that I spend the vast majority of my spare time obsessing over every little detail and moment of the season xheat

Same.

Today I told my dad that it was Eurovision time and that I was so excited and he was like „yeah, your sister watches this too right?“ and I was like „yeah, she watches the the grand final without showing any interest. That‘s it. Me, on the other hand....“ Listing all the stuff I‘m doing since January. He: :unsure:

Iker

Veteran
exactly!!

Although I've never really faced any judgement due to my love for Eurovision, I feel sorry for people who are laughing at us. I mean, every May i'm literally going thru an emotional rollercoaster which is preceded by 3-4 good months of not knowing what boredom is. I love to be so immersed in all of that. Meanwhile they all don't experience this kind of emotions unless it's Poland fighting for world's volleyball championship. Man I experience this kind of emotions every single year and it's the best thing ever so be mad :lol:
I follow Eurovision closely but I am not so emotionally invested.

theditz83

Veteran
I follow Eurovision closely but I am not so emotionally invested.
The older I get, the more emotionally invested I get. It's crazy how much it takes over my life, even during the dry spell from late May until early October, I'm trawling through past contests and fully invested in rumours about the coming year :lol: Heck, I'm even trying to launch a YouTube vlog channel, I just have too much love for this darn show xheat

Grinch

She hasn't listened any of them yet (she barely watches the show anyway) but my brother is obsessed with El Diablo! He also likes Ireland, Italy and a little bit Azerbaijan.

mauve

Veteran
I tried to avoid this thread most of the times until now because my mum died unexpectedly this year :cry: but I KNOW her favourite would have been :ee: (chances she would also like :dk: and :pt:).

But instead of avoiding this thread I will give a huge shout out to the most wonderful mom on earth - she‘s the one who made me watch Eurovision for the first time when I was only 7 years old. Each year since 1986 we were watching the contest together, and in recent years were at least chatting in various messengers about the entries when they were released. It will be so hard this year without the only #1 ESC Fan I know besides myself.
THANK YOU, MUM! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!
Wish you were here with me to listen to the entries you never got the chance to hear. xheart

My husband promised to listen to the songs with me soon.
Midnightsun, I am so sorry to hear this. I lost my dad last year, and it tore me apart. It's still unbelievable that he isn't here anymore. :cry: Big hugs from here and I hope that music and ESC will help you to lessen the emotional pain you are going thru.

mauve

Veteran
My Mom's Top 3 are: Lithuania,Estonia and Malta
My Granny's Top 3 are: Lithuania,Austria and Finland (honrouble mention Italy)

I haven't showed my dad all the songs yet but he like Ukraine
You have a wonderful granny! xheart Say hello from someone who also adores rock! xcheer

midnightsun

Veteran
Midnightsun, I am so sorry to hear this. I lost my dad last year, and it tore me apart. It's still unbelievable that he isn't here anymore. :cry: Big hugs from here and I hope that music and ESC will help you to lessen the emotional pain you are going thru.

Thank you so much! xheartxheartxheart
You‘re so kind. And I am so sorry for your loss. The pain is unbearable, right? I loved my mum so much; it was always fun to watch ESC with her, she always made funny remarks.
Yes, I will enjoy Eurovision and thinking about what she would say.
I hope my husband is gonna sacrifice himself soon so I have someone to „torture“ with all the songs. :sneaky:
I shouldn’t have made him listen to Jendrik first (the only song he knows) because that really really put him off :eek:
He said he had to regain his strength back first before he is able to tolerate more...

ag89

Can we do other family members? :LOL:
I forced my sister (she is not too much into ESC) to listen recaps and based on recaps to highlight 6-7 songs she would like to listen fully. So, this is what we have:
- her number one is Switzerland :ch: followed closely by the Netherlands :nl: o_O:cool: although she was not happy with their live performances
- she likes Norway :no:and Italy :it:
- Germany :de: and San Marino :sm: were in her top with recap, but once she listened all 3 minutes, both songs faded from her top

Speaking of Malta: I told her that's currently number one with bookies. She doesn't like it at all and finds the video quite problematic (it has been mentioned earlier: she understands the message, but finds the video sending an opposite message).

Last edited:

elvihjort

Parents, spouses, grandparents, kids, siblings, cousins, godparents, partners, friends, friends with benefits ;), those people who're related to you but you need a chart to figure out how, and pets all have opinions about Eurovision songs, too. Sometimes, those opinions can even be predictive of results that surprise us on the night (:pl: 2016 absolutely dominated this thread that year, for instance). What are your out-of-"the-bubble" (I hate that term but no real other way to put it) family and friends' opinions on this year's crop of entries?

EDIT: I forgot that some of y'all are old enough to have kids so added kids!
EDIT II: I forgot grandparents, too! & I remembered "friends with benefits" and "pets?" I shouldn't've been the one to start this thread; clearly it's just too much pressure & responsibility. :oops:
italy and the netherlands for my family!

Iker

Veteran
I have only been able to force my mother to listen to :pl: & :ch: so far.

Top Bottom