Contact us

What's your mum's favorite?

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Parents, spouses, grandparents, kids, siblings, cousins, godparents, partners, friends, friends with benefits ;), those people who're related to you but you need a chart to figure out how, and pets all have opinions about Eurovision songs, too. Sometimes, those opinions can even be predictive of results that surprise us on the night (:pl: 2016 absolutely dominated this thread that year, for instance). What are your out-of-"the-bubble" (I hate that term but no real other way to put it) family and friends' opinions on this year's crop of entries?

EDIT: I forgot that some of y'all are old enough to have kids so added kids!
EDIT II: I forgot grandparents, too! & I remembered "friends with benefits" and "pets?" I shouldn't've been the one to start this thread; clearly it's just too much pressure & responsibility. :oops:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
#soon

My family are already shaking with fear for the moment I subject them to the songs. ;) They know it's soon.

GermanBango

So I made my boyfriend listen to all of the songs and his thoughts are very interesting to me as he reaaaaaaaally is someone you would describe as the average Eurovision audience.

His Top 5: :ch: :az: :pt: :de: (yikes haha) :es:
His Bottom 5: :hr: :cz: :dk: :ua: :au:

Very notable moment for me was when he fucking finally put his phone down to listen - that was when :ch: played. He was literally enchanted which took me by surprise. He even wanted to listen to it again.

ekzuu

My mother liked Poland the most and she said it's a song she could vote for :). She also liked Norway as a song very much (but not the staging) and the UK. She also kinda liked Bulgaria (I showed the live version and she thought the singer sings very well and seems to be telling a story, which she likes (she would like to know what's the song about, because it seemed meaningful), but it's too slow for her) and Switzerland (after few listens, she wasnt impressed the first time so I had to explain that it's a favorite so pay more attention!!!!, I also showed the video and then I asked again and she said yeah, it's good but not smt she would vote for hahaha). Oh, and she also liked San Marino and Croatia.

Mainshow

Veteran
My parents and I did watch all preview/music videos today and they really enjoyed it (they think it's a great and diverse year with many up-tempo entries).

This was our final ranking:

#1 :sm: San Marino
#2 :az: Azerbaijan
#3 :at: Austria
#4 :mt: Malta
#5 :fr: France
#6 :bg: Bulgaria
#7 :ch: Switzerland
#8 :no: Norway
#9 :lt: Lithuania
#10 :cy: Cyprus
#11 :ua: Ukraine
#12 :fi: Finland
#13 :hr: Croatia
#14 :ge: Georgia
#15 :al: Albania
#16 :md: Moldova
#17 :ro: Romania
#18 :is: Iceland
#19 :se: Sweden
#20 :es: Spain
#21 :ru: Russia
#22 :lt: Latvia
#23 :uk: United Kingdom
#24 :nl: The Netherlands
#25 :it: Italy
#26 :de: Germany

Non-Qualifiers:
Semi 1: #11 :be: , #12 :il:, #13 :ie: , #14 :mk:, #15 :au:, #16 :sl:
Semi 2: #11 :pl:, #12 :gr: , #13 :ee:, #14 :dk:, #15 :rs:, #16 :cz:, #17 :pt:

My thoughts? - I think that we have a pretty decent Top 12. IF everyone delivers, I can totally see these 12 countries exactly making it into the Top 12 - even though I think it will be in a different order + one country needs to make some room for overrated :is: - :ge: will definitely not make the final but my parents seemed to really love it. They even compared parts of it to Coldpay - I had a huge eye-rolling moment but everyone can have his or her own opinion, obviously :D

Winner prediction(s):
My father: :mt:
My mother: :no: ("This is absolutely wonderful! All women will be voting for him! What a voice!")
me: :fr:

Iker

Veteran
My parents and I did watch all preview/music videos today and they really enjoyed it (they think it's a great and diverse year with many up-tempo entries).

This was our final ranking:

#1 :sm: San Marino
#2 :az: Azerbaijan
#3 :at: Austria
#4 :mt: Malta
#5 :fr: France
#6 :bg: Bulgaria
#7 :ch: Switzerland
#8 :no: Norway
#9 :lt: Lithuania
#10 :cy: Cyprus
#11 :ua: Ukraine
#12 :fi: Finland
#13 :hr: Croatia
#14 :ge: Georgia
#15 :al: Albania
#16 :md: Moldova
#17 :ro: Romania
#18 :is: Iceland
#19 :se: Sweden
#20 :es: Spain
#21 :ru: Russia
#22 :lt: Latvia
#23 :uk: United Kingdom
#24 :nl: The Netherlands
#25 :it: Italy
#26 :de: Germany

Non-Qualifiers:
Semi 1: #11 :be: , #12 :il:, #13 :ie: , #14 :mk:, #15 :au:, #16 :sl:
Semi 2: #11 :pl:, #12 :gr: , #13 :ee:, #14 :dk:, #15 :rs:, #16 :cz:, #17 :pt:

My thoughts? - I think that we have a pretty decent Top 12. IF everyone delivers, I can totally see these 12 countries exactly making it into the Top 12 - even though I think it will be in a different order + one country needs to make some room for overrated :is: - :ge: will definitely not make the final but my parents seemed to really love it. They even compared parts of it to Coldpay - I had a huge eye-rolling moment but everyone can have his or her own opinion, obviously :D

Winner prediction(s):
My father: :mt:
My mother: :no: ("This is absolutely wonderful! All women will be voting for him! What a voice!")
me: :fr:
:no: is such a 'boomer'-bait. :D I can't wait to see all these people complainimg about it actually having a nice result. As much as I dislike this act & song it has a Q written all over it for starters for a variety of reasons.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Haha, not really, i mean, he enjoys watching ESC when it is aired in May, but it feels like an errand to him asking him to listen to the songs beforehand.The pic is more exact to what bf concerns. :mrgreen:

It feels like that usually with most non-eurovision fans though tbh. Lets be real.

heke1988

My mother has heard only :fi: entry and all other countries selected songs she listens on ESC.

Schlagerman1

Just had my first listen with my boyfriend, where we scored the songs from 0-10, with the very best song got 12). His scores were as follows:

12p :fr:
10p :be: :cy: :dk: :de::mt: :es:
9p :al: :ie: :ru:
8p :ee: :ge: :it: :mk: :ch:
7p :az: :bg: :fi: :il: :lt: :se:
6p :gr: :nl: :no: :ro:
5p :au: :at: :pl: :uk:
4p :cz: :is: :lv: :sl:
3p :hr: :md: :rs:
2p :pt: :ua:

Words from him: "This seems to become the best Eurovision I ever seen!" :D

Last edited:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
My god did they make it a difficult job to listen through, tbh I don't think i'll do it again next year given the total lack of interest generally shown - even to songs they claim to enjoy. Just hear Eurovision and it automatically means shit. Anyway, we ranked all the songs from 1 to 10, I'm A, my Mum is B and one of my friends is C. I asked them to rank not totally on their taste, but also the song, production etc - so it wasn't just a sea of 1s & 2s. My rank is just my preference but they didn't need to know that xo Here is how we voted:

rank.png

My mum claimed to like :es: :fr: :se: :cz: :pl:
She claimed to hated: :lt: :de: :bg: :ge: :ua:

My Friend claimed to like: :it: :fi: :is: :pt:
My Friend claimed to hate: :lt: :nl: :dk: :de: :no: :lv:

General Comments:
🇱🇹 Totally diabolical, terrible, horrible etc
🇧🇪 Shes giving Miss Havisham vibes with that wedding dress and style.
🇨🇾 this sounds like something from Lady Gaga
🇳🇱 "Rhythm is your rebellion" Makes absolutely no sense. References to Brocolli
🇮🇹 It stood out, for good or and bad reasons.
🇷🇸 Just straight noise, sounds like something you'd hear in a club where the songs just all blend together.
🇩🇰 Very dated, my mum said it sounded like something from when she was my age.
🇵🇹 Both said they liked it, but hated his singing and voice.
🇬🇪 Sounds totally miserable and dull, felt about as interested in the song as he seemed to with how he was singing it.
🇺🇦 One of the worst things they've ever heard

Top Bottom