Contact us

What's your mum's favorite?

mauve

Veteran
I have only been able to force my mother to listen to :pl: & :ch: so far.
FORCE??? :eek: But then again ...

200w.gif

I only managed to get my mother to listen to 11 songs. For the moment, after a first listen, his ranking is this:

1.:md:
2.:sm:
3.:mt:
4.:ro:
5.:fr:
6.:no:
7.:lt:
8.:cy:
9.:ch:
10.:fi:
11.:az:

It is fascinating to observe that the opinions, outside the forum, change strongly. When we consider a song undervalued or overrated we do so based on the thought that EscYOUnited is the "yardstick". That's why we often have surprises on televoting.

My mother purely prefers rhythm and wild dances but she recognizes the great value of the French song. Why didn't he award the French song? Because even if it is a good song, it is not a song that he would listen to nonstop on the radio or on YouTube. Also, after I told her about the TIX story, she gave more value to the song from Norway (previously she said it was a nice song but it was nothing new).

The songs she criticized were:

:ch: For her it is a continuous lament.

:fi: It aroused no emotion in her.

:az: He listened for 30 seconds and then begged me to take it off.

How will my mom's chart change after listening to all the songs? What other surprises will happen? We will know ... in the next episode!

And now ... the ending theme! xmusic

mauve

Veteran
I only managed to get my mother to listen to 11 songs. For the moment, after a first listen, his ranking is this:

1.:md:
2.:sm:
3.:mt:
4.:ro:
5.:fr:
6.:no:
7.:lt:
8.:cy:
9.:ch:
10.:fi:
11.:az:

It is fascinating to observe that the opinions, outside the forum, change strongly. When we consider a song undervalued or overrated we do so based on the thought that EscYOUnited is the "yardstick". That's why we often have surprises on televoting.

My mother purely prefers rhythm and wild dances but she recognizes the great value of the French song. Why didn't he award the French song? Because even if it is a good song, it is not a song that he would listen to nonstop on the radio or on YouTube. Also, after I told her about the TIX story, she gave more value to the song from Norway (previously she said it was a nice song but it was nothing new).

The songs she criticized were:

:ch: For her it is a continuous lament.

:fi: It aroused no emotion in her.

:az: He listened for 30 seconds and then begged me to take it off.

How will my mom's chart change after listening to all the songs? What other surprises will happen? We will know ... in the next episode!

And now ... the ending theme! xmusic

I am curious to see what your mom will say to Maneskin ... :LOL: Hm. Maybe she will like Germany? :ROFLMAO:

I am curious to see what your mom will say to Maneskin ... :LOL: Hm. Maybe she will like Germany? :ROFLMAO:
My mother is a real music critic 🤣 She always manages to understand who has talent. For example, Eros Ramazzotti and Mango went up on the Sanremo stage. They were very young. My mother, after listening them sing, said "They will have a great career" and it came true 😃 In recent years you have spoken highly of Ultimo and he too is having a good career 🤩 The Maneskin? She told me "They will win". I agreed with her but told him "Maneskin are strong but ... maybe Irama might be more suited to ESC". She said no 😤😆 The Maneskin were very good and, in his opinion, brought a real challenge to the stage, an anger that only the rockers of the 60s / 70s could bring. She added that very few Italian rockers had sung and played like this in the past. Maneskin' style is very similar to Birmingham Hard Rock, that Rock UK Style that made history (although Maneskin winks at Rapcore and Pop Rock). You think the Maneskin will win over European audiences. For her they could win but she knows that life is hard for Italian songs at the ESC 😩 My analyzes and my irony are his merit. She taught me to be combative. Could I ever be defeated by the haters? Never! 💪😎 Haha. Tomorrow is the turn of the German song 😨😄

midnightsun

Veteran
So. Tonight was my husband‘s turn to listen.

Overall thought of him: mostly bad songs, too many slow songs.

Some songs he especially dislikes:

Azerbaijan - San Marino - Ukraine - Malta - Norway - Russia (this one especially) - Latvia - Germany - France - Bulgaria - Austria - Portugal

Songs he likes the most (aka „the only good songs this year“) :

Finland & Cyprus

Songs that are actually ok according to him:

Australia, Belgium, Serbia, Sweden, Denmark and The Netherlands

Other notable mentions:

He thought that North Macedonia was actually ok as a background song and he didn’t think this was the worst song this year at all (because I told him a bit about the betting odds after we were ready).

He was scared of Vaidotas from The Roop but was (positively) surprised they have a curvy male dancer.

He loved the car in Shum, however not the song.

He was impressed by Switzerland‘s video but not by the song because „Who knows what he sings about? Nobody will understand because it’s French!“ (He doesn’t speak French)

He was scared of Ana Soklic‘s singing. He asked: „Is she lip syncing to this voice?“

- - - - -

My thoughts: I was pretty sure he would like Australia and Belgium. I also thought he was gonna like Ireland but he said: „She tries too hard to sing a happy song but my spark wasn‘t lighted“.

I was really surprised he liked Sweden, Denmark & NL. These are songs I probably expected him to like least. He said he can see people calling for Denmark (I hope he is right).

Mimmon

Veteran
So time is to announce my parent's favourites for Eurovision 2021...
As some of you know my parents think Germany can win

My Dad's favourites are: Georgia,Lithuania,Denmark,Malta,Ukraine,Portugal,Poland,Germany,Norway.

He also likes: Romania, Cyprus and Iceland

My Mom's favourites are: Lithuania,Austria,Portugal,Ireland,Germany

She also likes: Ukraine,Italy,Finland, Sweden,Iceland,Malta

Bonus:
My Great Granny (yes she also have heard it): Austria,Switzerland and Ireland

I managed to get my mother to listen to 19 songs. The ranking has changed little.

Mauve, are you ready to see Germany's position? :D

1.:mt: (+2)
2.:md: (-1)
3.:gr: (NEW)
4.:no: (+2)
5.:fr: (=)
6.:lt: (NEW)
7.:ro: (-3)
8.:de: (NEW) xfaint
9.:cy: (-1)
10.:is: (NEW)
11.:sm: (-9)
12.:ch: (-3)
13.:fi: (-3)
14.:az: (-3)
15.:se: (NEW)
16.:cz: (NEW)
17.:es: (NEW)
18.:dk: (NEW)
19.:nl: (NEW)

While we were listening to music I had to help my mother prepare the fettuccine...

"What are you doing? Don't get distracted! Listen to the music and cook! xpunish"

Sharing time with my mother means accepting not to relax xgaah... ironing, loading the washing machine, cooking, cleaning the dishes... Ah... after all this effort I feel like Cinderella xblush ... when Franzilein arrives to bring me back the shoe What did I miss at the great ball?:nervous:xrofl

Last edited:

mauve

Veteran
I managed to get my mother to listen to 19 songs. The ranking has changed little.

Mauve, are you ready to see Germany's position? :D

1.:mt: (+2)
2.:md: (-1)
3.:gr: (NEW)
4.:no: (+2)
5.:fr: (=)
6.:lt: (NEW)
7.:ro: (-3)
8.:de: (NEW) xfaint
9.:cy: (-1)
10.:is: (NEW)
11.:sm: (NEW)
12.:ch: (-3)
13.:fi: (-3)
14.:az: (-3)
15.:se: (NEW)
16.:cz: (NEW)
17.:es: (NEW)
18.:dk: (NEW)
19.:nl: (NEW)

While we were listening to music I had to help my mother prepare the fettuccine...

"What are you doing? Don't get distracted! Listen to the music and cook! xpunish"

Sharing time with my mother means accepting not to relax xgaah... ironing, loading the washing machine, cooking, cleaning the dishes... Ah... after all this effort I feel like Cinderella xblush ... when Franzilein arrives to bring me back the shoe What did I miss at the great ball?:nervous:xrofl
Your mom sounds like a true Italian woman! xlove And she also has not only culinary taste, but also musical taste! :mrgreen:

Lovecraft as Cinderella waiting for prince Franzilein! xrofl

UwDq.gif

Remisan

All of my relatives live in another city and would hardly listen to songs.

But I can interrogate my loved one. We have been watching Eurovision together for 9 years... because I have cute insolent eyes and a stock of delicious food. :ROFLMAO: This year I was especially insidious xyaay Laziness lost the battle. :mrgreen:

In fact, we've been listening to Italians together since the beginning of March, and it looks like we're both fans now. xmetalTogether we listen to Maneskin's songs, sing, sometimes watch interviews and instagram, laugh (Maneskin are so funny, fool around like us), we are happy and worried about them. My beloved translated one of their songs.

As for the rest of the songs, here's the top with comments:

1. :it: "ultimately"
2. :is: "my third place last year - and they are still keeping up, still here"
3. :nl: "love african/brazilian motives, moving theme, underrated"
4-6. :fi:
4-6. :az: 4-6th places - "they are of too different styles, hard to compare, all have very high ranking, close to the top-3 V^^"
4-6. :fr:
7. :dk: "good 80's, very easy-to-listen song without any annoyment right for daily background"
8. :ch: "my winner last year, still good but repondez-moi is unsurpassed"
9. :ro:
10. :de:
11. :be:
12. :al: "points for drama"
13. :pt: "points for jazzing"
14. :cz:
15. :at:
16. :uk:
17. :pl:
18. :lv: "bass don't let me enjoy it, this song could end up much higher without that kind of musical arrangement - totally not mine to listen, but still like the song in general anyway"
19. :sm: "good catching chorus but... that's all"
20. :se: "feeling verses, boring chorus"
21. :lt: "my second place last year. this time he doesn't use any of his singing charm, doesn't play with intonation and, well, ends here. disappointment"
22. :mt:
23. :gr:
24. :il: "shame to put this so low, I like the song and appreciate her voice but it's too high for my ears even to listen till the end"
25. :cy: "up to 25th place all songs still sound pretty good, outsiders below"
26. :ua: "1.nice instrumental part 2. no more nice things about it (for me)"
27. :au: "offbeat - too_much offbeat"
28. :hr:
29. :ie: "simply not my genre, nothing wrong about the song"
30. :es:
31. :ge: "this song needs to be woken up"
32. :ee:
33. :mk:
34. :md:
35. :rs:
36. :ru:
37. :sl:
38. :no:
39. :bg: "don't like the voice, the manner, the theme, only one song with nothing to give a single point for"

Last edited:

Jopi

Hola hola people! Finally gathered some data...

Boyfriend (more than a casual viewer, less than hardcore esc fan lol, listens to songs from NF, ESC and follows betting odds, but is not really hardcore fan, more of relaxed... que sera sera type..):

Top15:

1. Italy (his type of music mostly, loves Maneskin even before Sanremo)
2. Belgium
3. Switzerland
4. Romania
5. Lithuania
6. Norway
7. Iceland
8. Finland
9. Bulgaria
10. Croatia (oh dear God lol)
11. France
12. Germany (why bby)
13. Georgia
14. Cyprus
15. Sweden

*1st to 9th are all his 10 scores.
His quick predictions:
*Cyprus might win televote if everything clicks (vocals, performance..)
*Norway will be top 5 televoting (He actually said that Tix will win MGP in January without knowing Tix's popularity)
*Switzerland might be the the overall winner (but 'no ones winner')
*Malta out of at least top 5 televote
*Iceland might have a real chance for the win (also the no ones winner)
*He actually likes to predict the televote (and is actually very good at it), since he hates juries lol

*He actually said that Keiino in 2019 might win televote in ESC when the song was released for MGP
*He got winner vibes when first heard Amar Pelos Dois (when Salvador won Festival da Cancao)

Okay, moving on to my mom (she is definitely a pretty casual listener... Doesn't care about betting odds, favorites.. just listens songs before ESC):

*her ranking might not be accurate since it's too hard for her to rank them

1. Cyprus (says it sounds really like a world hit)
2. San Marino
3. Greece
4. Albania (really likes ethnic music)
5. Romania
6. Estonia
7. Sweden
8. Finland
9. Norway
10. Israel (oh dear mom lol)
11. Georgia
12. Austria
13. Poland
14. Italy (didn't like it winning Sanremo, and she literally thought the verses go 'SIAMO FUORI DI CASAAA' lol)
15. Spain

*she actually really likes ballads, but this time she jumped on bop train
*oh year, told her that Malta is favorite according to bookies and she was like WHAAT are theey crazy?! (mama's daughter lol)

And finally my sister, same story like my mom, except she's not really into esc the last few years.. This year sucks for her taste lol

1. Cyprus (by far her best as she claims)
2. Switzerland (very nice powerfull ballad)
3. San Marino
4. Croatia
5. Italy (same story as mom, didn't like it at Sanremo)
6. Romania
7. Finland
8. Lithuania
9. Greece
10. Poland
11. Serbia
12. Estonia
13. Sweden
14. Norway
15. Iceland

*she pretty much dislikes the rest of the songs lol

Last edited:

HayashiM

Veteran
My gf asked today when exactly is the ESC week coming and then she agreed to listen to 3-4 songs a day and give me her opinion without knowing mine beforehand (or the country she is listening to). She's no big ESC fan, we do usually watch the finals together. Her main criteria: 1) Would I listen to this song in a car on a highway? and 2) Are the performers well dressed? :D :eek:

Her today's thoughts:
:lt: - Bonus points for his singing skills while performing the dance routine. She wouldn't put it on on her own but probably wouldn't skip. Overall she finds the song a bit on the meh side.
:sl: - A great start, but the chorus probably isn't as impactful as she'd hoped for. Also Ana could probably move a little more on the stage, though she likes her styling. Decent.
:ru: A joke entry? There's some fun to be had, but - no.
:se: Once again a great start with a perhaps too repetitive chorus, still it's a first song she'd put on from her own impulse. She also liked the staging and thought Tusse was a lady.

First ranking (she refuses to give points): :se: :sl: :lt: :ru:

Iker

Veteran
I can't compel my mum to listen to any Eurovision entries sadly. She's not willing to give it even 10 minutes daily. So far though she has listened to Russia, Switzerland & Poland. She liked Russia, towards the other two she is indifferent.

HayashiM

Veteran
Ok, so I went through all semi 1 songs with my gf. I won't quote her opinions anymore, because she doesn't really voice that many, but here is how she ranked both halves:

1st half:
Great: 1. :ie: 2. :mk: (yes... she absolutely loves Vasil's voice...) 3. :se:
Good: 4. :sl:
Average: 5. :cy:
Meh: 6. :au:, 7. :lt:, 8. :ru:

2nd half:
Great: 1. :no:
Good: 2. :mt:, 3. :hr:, 4. :ro:
Average: 5. :il:, 6. :az:
Meh: 7. :be:, 8. :ua:

Last edited:
Top Bottom