Contact us

What's your mum's favorite?

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Carrying this over from the past couple of years & starting early in case any of you want to weigh in on national selections as well as the main show. Mums, dads, siblings, partners, casual hookups, grandparents, children, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins, unconverted-to-Eurovision friends, and dachshunds have opinions, too. What are they? :D

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
I'll get us started. :) When I sent :ua:'s entry over, my mom's response was as follows:
"Wow, calvin, this is brilliant. It is an anti Russian manifesto. Check out the Police, Ghost in the Machine."

I don't really know where she's getting either "anti-Russian manifesto" or "The Police" from anything there, but to each their own. Now I feel terrible because I threw shade at it as I sent it over, in which I described it as "a really touching tale about a band who really, really, really wanted to be Green Day but just couldn't pull it off."

She also really liked "Statements" in :se:.

MyHeartIsYours

My Mum has only heard the British entry, she thinks Lucie is a great singer, and the song is a good strong one (though she's not that big a fan of ballads). Interestingly neither me or Mum thought much of Lucie when she was on The X Factor - though she definitely shouldn't have been eliminated over Jedward :lol: But I think we're both in agreement that she had definitely blossomed since 2009 :D

Apart from the UK entry, a few of my friends have heard the Italian entry (mainly coz it features a gorilla :lol:) - the general sentiment is "this is so Eurovision" :lol:

Tinchey

My sister liked Occidentali's Karma, but I really can't make anyone to listen to anything. ;____;
I'll try with my dog.

Fierro

My grandma adores "Boogieman Blues" from :se: MF. Also she really likes Robin Bengtsson, Boris Rene, Dismissed, "Statements" (she said that Loreen copied Jamala), Jon Henrik, Nano. As for Mariette's song, she started crying during her performance. Hates Ace Wilder.

From ESC entries, I didn't show many of them. Only first ones. Grandma was impressed by :ge: :al: and liked :by:. I wonder if she will like Italian entry, gonna check it later.

Also grandma didn't really like any performance from :ua: NF (except Salto Nazad) but rather satisfied with O. Torvald winning. After watching Melodifestivalen she feels disappointed in quality of Ukrainian music and wants STB to replace Meladze with better producer.

Schlagerman1

I don't play any ESC or songs from other NFs until easter, when my family do our annual Eurovision-listening. ;)
But in MF, mom likes Ace Wilder a lot, while my little brother is a big Loreen-fan. :)

ESCada

My mother really really enjoyed :fr: and the :uk: and she said that the ALWAYS in the FINAL countries are better than the rest.

Really disliked :by: lol

ZoboCamel

I've shown my parents a bunch of things recently (and I've been spamming my Eurovision playlist in my room of our small-ish house), so here goes! They're both pretty picky, but they do have stuff they like.

Dad:
:ee: Verona - "This one's not bad. I wouldn't mind seeing that at Eurovision."
:lt: I'm Like A Wolf - "This is by that Aminata, right? She's pretty good. I like it."
:ro: Yodel It - "What the... it's weird. But this is what Eurovision needs more of."
:uk: Never Give Up On You - "It'd be an average song, but she's got an amazing voice, doesn't she? That makes it good."
:hr: My Friend - "Hmm, this might be the best one from this year so far." <-- Hot taste, Dad xheat

Mum:
:al: Mos Harro - "Yeah, this one's quite catchy. I might get it once the studio version's out."
:au: Don't Come Easy - "It's pretty good! I'm happy with it, at least. He's got that 'X factor', as they say."
:ee: Verona - "Hmm. Yeah?" <-- She does like it, but couldn't think of anything else in particular to say :lol:
:fi: Love Yourself - "I can't help myself, I like this. I'll have to listen to this some more."
:fi: Helppo Elämä - "This one's interesting. It'd be good for exercising to."
:fi: Blackbird - "It's not something I'd usually like, but it's a great performance, and the lyrics tell a good story."
:it: Occidentali's Karma - "I didn't like it at first, but it's growing on me the more I hear you listen to it."
:se: Statements - "I'll have to get this one from you. It's good."
:se: En Värld Full av Strider - "I've heard you listening to this one a lot. It's pretty decent."
:ch: Apollo - "I actually quite like this. It's not anything new, but it's catchy."

midnightsun

Veteran
My family or husband did not listen to any ESC songs yet other than Germany. But all of them think the German song is bland and boring.

But I can see my Mum loving Romania. But I was always wrong the last years concerning her favourites, so I wonder what will be the best song to her.

Eulaliya

As far as I know, my mom's faves are old ESC classics, like :se: 1974, :it: 1958 and :dk: 1996 (dat more popular English version by Michael Learns to Rock).

midnightsun

Veteran
So, I made my hubby listen to half of the songs yesterday. He doesn't know anything about Eurovision and is usually not interested. He wanted to see the music vids to judge music AND performance.

His favourite: very clear, he said. Belgium! He loves the song so much, especially with her voice.

Closely followed by Italy ("this guy is SO funny!"), Moldova ("best performance") and Germany ("I didn't like it back then during the German finale but compared to the rest of crap it's quite good!")

He also thought that Cyprus & Austria are quite okay.

Malta, Australia and Poland are "songs that don't bother me when they are playing in the background. Poland could be a James Bond final credits background song!" he said.

He didn't like:
UK, Georgia, Switzerland, Romania ("Oh - my - God - what - is - this???"), Croatia, Serbia, Denmark, Netherlands (apart from the girl on the right in the music vid :D), Latvia, Estonia ("Oh my god, don't tell me Modern Talking are back! This song is written by Dieter Bohlen, isn't it??!"), Greece, Czech Republic, France, Hungary, Spain, Finland.

popavapeur

it's not really a mum's favorite cause she only heard 8 songs : Sweden, Italy, Belgium, Australia, F.Y.R Macedonia, Iceland, Azerbaijan and France. I choose to show her Sweden for the staging, Italy and Belgium for their odds, FYR Macedonia and Iceland cause I Liked them, Azerbaijan to have kind of an opinion of this song and France cause it's her first language. I didn't give her the countries before even if she could have guess only with the languages for Italy or France and I didn't give my thoughts on the songs before she gave hers.

Her favorites were :be: , :mk: , :is: and :se: (staging impressed her)
she didn't like at all :it: and she found :fr: 's song far better and entertaining but not as good as the countries above . :au: after the chorus she told me "I can't say for now, I'm waiting for the chorus" "- mum, that was the chorus" but she liked it anyway. For :az: she just said " I rank this after Italy"

She had a hard time making a ranking but it would look like this.
1 - Iceland ° 2 - Belgium ° 3 - F.Y.R. Macedonia ° 4 - Sweden ° 5 - Australia ° 6 - France ° 7 - Italy ° 8 - Azerbaijan

She couldn't believe how Italy was first in odds but she add "maybe we'll have to see the staging to judge but songwise there's nothing happening while Belgium, FYROM or Iceland had some mood and feeling attached to it before any staging".

(FYI Last year her big favorites were Russia and France)

midnightsun

Veteran
Update. Husband listened to the rest of the songs (Hey, he asked first, probably hoping for another masterpiece like Belgium :D).

He liked Macedonia a lot. Montenegro and Israel were okay ("yeah, the music is slightly better than most of the songs you made me listen to last time!").
He was reluctant about Sweden. He finally said "If you used to like the Backstreet Boys, then it's a good song. If you don't (like me) it's not that good".

He was not too fond of all the other songs.

Conclusion: His top 3 are Belgium, Macedonia and Italy.

[edit] and Ukraine. I forgot to mention. He loves rock music but he said, it's a bit generic for a rock song, though one of the better songs this year.

Chorizo

My sister liked Occidentali's Karma, but I really can't make anyone to listen to anything. ;____;
I'll try with my dog.

I would really like to know how your dog responds.

I imagine it like this:
:mt: fell asleep
:ro: started to bark
:hr: ran out of the room

mgru

My boyfriend refuses to listen to any new songs since I pranked him that Serhat will be competing at 2017 Eurovision too :lol:

He is die-hard fan of him and now his feelings are hurt :lol:

But before that he heard Yodel it! and thought it's dreadful (agreed).

I also showed him Hungarian song, he was interested but said its weird.

Italy was ok to him.

I'll try to show him more. Last year he claimed he hates Eurovision but now he still randomly sings Serhat (after last years final he was singing it CONSTANTLY for a month) and 'thunder and lightning its getting excitiiiiiingggg' :lol:

midnightsun

Veteran
:lol:

My husband has been constantly singing "stop, don't say that it's impossible, cause I know it's possible" for YEARS now to make fun of it because he thinks those are the most ridiculous lyrics he has ever heard. :D But Thunder and lightning, it's getting exciting are close to, he said.

DaFlo

Banned
My mum won't listen to the songs till May, but I predict :pt: :ee: and maybe :sm: will be her favs. :mrgreen:

julien4ESC

It's not my mum but a colleague. She doesn't really care about Eurovision. I just played three songs for the moment:

France: "The song is bad and goes nowhere. Why do we always send dull song like this? Why does she sing in english during the chorus while it is typical french variety?"
Belgium: "I really like this song. It is a perfect song to relax. I will definitely listen to this song again."
Sweden: "Wow this guy is so hot. I want to visit Sweden. I will definitely vote for him in May." (no comment regarding the song actually...) :roll:

Top Bottom