Contact us

What went wrong in the final, ORF?

Tinchey

Is it just me or was that the worst final when it comes to live broadcast? I've noticed so many mistakes and it was kinda awkward at one point when Arabella was standing in the green room waiting for the camera to turn off. :'D I usually wouldn't comment on such thing but this is a huge event and the technical part seemed a bit off. Not to mention Portuguese, Estonian and Georgian votes being delayed, Cypriot spokesperson giving his speech 30 seconds before being visible etc. Also why was Conchita credited as green room host, when she obviously had the part as one of the co-hosts, it was just her being everywhere but the green room. :'D At least the intervals were great. :D Semis were done perfectly, but in the final it all fell flat. I'm usually not like this, but this was unexpected, was I the only one that noticed this?

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
The interval act felt like semi1+semi2+final interval acts combined. :lol: I used it as my toilet break. Regarding to so many errors, gosh, it was probably the worst year host-wise. The hosts, too much Conchita already, fake crowd etc

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
My favourite part was when they zoomed in on a woman's breasts for about 10 seconds.

It was quite a car crash show in many aspects. Must be why I quite enjoyed it. The voting was a disaster especially. Dodgy camera angles throughout the performances. Add on the horrendous fake screams and claps as well. It really was so trashy. I actually quite liked the three ladies hosting though. They seemed lovely and were a million times better than what we had to put up with last year.

Jacketh

Hey (this is my first post, btw)

I must admit, I enjoyed Conchita and she did go down very well with a lot of people. She has fully embraced the last year or so and embedded herself in the Eurovision family, where I imagine she will stay for the foreseeable future. I was surprised to hear her comment that Polina 'deserved to win', but I think given the crowd were making it no secret they strongly wanted to be back in Sweden next year, I'm convinced that a producer may had been whispering in her ear to say it to add some balance and keep Russia sweet. I mean, surely Conchita of all people would want a Eurovision held in Moscow? :p

That said, I agree with the general opinion on the hosting. Generally poor, which was a shame given it was the 60th year. The three main hosts were not memorable at all and lacked charisma between each other. I'm generally a fan of a male/female split in hosting, which obviously wasn't the case tonight. I remember last year the hosts had great charisma together and there was some funny moments. The Graham Norton confetti moment stands out. Last years hosts were quite bizarre and had their own unique sense of humour, which is why I enjoyed. It really was lacking tonight. I do wonder who will be hosting next year. Sweden isn't short of options, of course. Petra Mede had tons of plaudits last time and did the Eurovision Anniversary Show in London with Norton a couple of months back. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Eric Saade alongside her, either.

I'll give credit to the stage though. It did look really small and I don't know how big it actually was in comparison, but it certainly didn't look small on TV. I liked.

joancamo

The final was horrible!!!!
Voting with so many mistakes, bad camera angles, people looking lost, the take showing boobs??? then the red carpet event was also badly hosted and the hostess were horrible

GWTW1939

What went wrong with the final :?

You should be asking what went wrong with the whole enchilada :lol:

semi 1 - bad
semi 2 - bad
final - bad

even the red carpet was a hosting flop :lol:

Normally semi 1 is a little rough but they get their feet on the ground by the second. This NEVER did, it was the same problems over and over and it looked like they did nothing to fix it :geek:

FilipFromSweden

It's like the ambition was never there for ORF to host the best show they possibly could. It felt like their goal was to just create a show and that's it. I think I have seen such a weak and boring interval act or such stiff and scared hosts. The camera angles we're horrible.

Also: what the hell? 3 countries lost contact with the arena? Feels like ORF's fault because this has to be some record. But this was not a bad year, not really. The songs made up for it

Dante

My favourite part was when they zoomed in on a woman's breasts for about 10 seconds.
Mine as well and I hope it wasn't by mistake!

I liked Baku 2012 better, and I didn't even like it at that time.
Apart from the technical problem, I also found the room annoying, I felt like suffocating only looking at it. The green room was so near the stage and everything looked rather like a NF.

dcs34

I think the worst thing was the hosts. After a few years with great hosts (Petra, the danish Trio) that had good English, were able to make jokes, and improvise when things went wrong. These 3 just stood there in silence most of the time waiting for whatever was supposed to happen. There was no control or energy behind what they were doing, and a real lack of enthusiasm. Conchita at least had a personality so I think it would have been better to make her the host of the entire evening.

I think also for a 60th year there was far too little about the history of Eurovision. Postcards that represent each countries history at Eurovision. An interval act of spectacular historical moments? Spokespersons dressing up as their countries most popular entry? No we'll have some guys playing drums and Conchita singing two song's no ones heard of. I really enjoyed the Danish interval act last year because they had a look back and made fun of things about Eurovision - the 12 point song, the Eurovision museum, the British commentator, etc...

And yes, technically it was poor. Lots of shaky camera work, late cuts, forgotten/late lines, as well as the voting (even the early 60's votes with their technical problems looked slicker). I still think putting a wall and roof around the stage contributed to a lot of terrible looking performance from what was, in my opinion, the best year at Eurovision for the songs.

Helloworld

I quite enjoy the technical mistakes. I don't see why people get so angry about them. Yes, these are proffessional broadcasters and maybe things should move a bit more smoothly, but for me it all adds to the fun. The close-up of the breasts had me howling. I love when spokespersons are cut off, last night was particularly hilarious. Sometimes it adds to the drama... Eurovision 1993 when Malta's last 12 points decided the winner when it should have been the third in voting order but got cut off and added to the end, anyone?

The hosts did not gel together very well. I can't see why we didn't have just one main host and then conchita doing everything else. In fact it felt like we saw more of Conchita than the contestants and the hosts combined. I'm not complaining though. Without her it would've been a very dull affair.

southernstars

Annoyingly, we had ad-breaks on SBS (yes, even the live show, which I got up early to watch!) and therefore I missed a few behind the scenes, in between stuff unfortunately... So I don't know how bad the 'green room' scenes were.

But I agree with all of the comments above. I remember one particular moment after Måns' win (or maybe before?) when Conchita made an offhand comment about his handsomeness, and the other three ladies stood there like stunned mullets in awkward silence, as if they didn't know how to recover from that comment lol... was quite amusing. Then the darker-skinned lady (sorry I have forgotten her name!!) stumbled her way through the next sentence.

Jacketh

But I agree with all of the comments above. I remember one particular moment after Måns' win (or maybe before?) when Conchita made an offhand comment about his handsomeness, and the other three ladies stood there like stunned mullets in awkward silence, as if they didn't know how to recover from that comment lol... was quite amusing. Then the darker-skinned lady (sorry I have forgotten her name!!) stumbled her way through the next sentence.

Like I said on the previous page, I think sometimes them bizarre moments (like Conchita) add to the hosting. Last years trio were full of awkward humour and had a few bizarre moments but it worked. It created an atmosphere and an identity about them as hosts. This year, the trio were average and just came across as hosts trying their best to be professional. Was disappointing.

I'm sure Sweden will do a good job of choosing their hosts.

aef

I think the worst thing was the hosts. After a few years with great hosts (Petra, the danish Trio) that had good English, were able to make jokes, and improvise when things went wrong. These 3 just stood there in silence most of the time waiting for whatever was supposed to happen. There was no control or energy behind what they were doing, and a real lack of enthusiasm. Conchita at least had a personality so I think it would have been better to make her the host of the entire evening.

I think also for a 60th year there was far too little about the history of Eurovision. Postcards that represent each countries history at Eurovision. An interval act of spectacular historical moments? Spokespersons dressing up as their countries most popular entry? No we'll have some guys playing drums and Conchita singing two song's no ones heard of. I really enjoyed the Danish interval act last year because they had a look back and made fun of things about Eurovision - the 12 point song, the Eurovision museum, the British commentator, etc...

And yes, technically it was poor. Lots of shaky camera work, late cuts, forgotten/late lines, as well as the voting (even the early 60's votes with their technical problems looked slicker). I still think putting a wall and roof around the stage contributed to a lot of terrible looking performance from what was, in my opinion, the best year at Eurovision for the songs.

Almost exactly my opinion ^^ :)

MyHeartIsYours

The tit zoom was hilarious :lol: Thought we'd had a stage invasion by the Polish butter churners for a minute ;) Poor woman whoever she was :lol:

Terence

w

That was epic! I was like... 'did the cameraman faint??'

Mind you, our commentator either lost connection or slept or something... He spoke a bit in the beginning, then started commenting from song 15 or somewhere there...

Terence

The tit zoom was hilarious :lol: Thought we'd had a stage invasion by the Polish butter churners for a minute ;) Poor woman whoever she was :lol:

She did make an appearence, during the voting!

Also, three votes delayed - we were like... 'Suzy? Tanja? Where are you?????!!!'

Top Bottom